RC Champion

Cool Sharing some rear suspension finds as a newbie and for the 'newbiers'

Hope this helps a few others or makes them aware of proper maintenance on a machine like a Slash..

I decided to go completely through my used Slash and learn all about it area by area. Now working on rearear suspension and my finds were the pins for the suspension arms were causing a great deal of bind up. So pulling, cleaning and smoothing them with some 400 grit paper and then applying powdered graphite now has them as loose as can be, no bind, totally free.

Next isssue was the shocks. These were fun, neat little pieces parts to find within. Seals, pistons and shafts and E-clips but very easy to disassemble. To my surprise, well not really, I found that both shock shafts were bent, one much more than the other however without taking them apart it was still somewhat easy to compress and rebound the suspension but I felt it had room for improvement!

Now I know for sure that both rear shocks shared the same 2-hole piston cup and now I can fill properly with silicone shock oil. This all will allow me then to make final tuning to them with springs and pre-load on the springs. My suggestion, if in doubt, take one off and take it apart, it is not difficult and it will be beneficial in the long run of tuning and maintaining your suspension on your vehicle. It also allows you to recognize what is going insidea shock when you bash it or need it to follow somewhat smoother terrain.

Just wanted to give back a bit of what I have learned to those that have not been there yet. I also thank those more experienced forum members for educating me on my recent inquiries of which I find as a great benefit to my learning curve

I would say that I am going to gain over 40% in suspension gains simply by taking the time to learn my vehicle, I suggest to disconnect a shock and see it your 'arms' drop freely and proceed from there and take time to take apart and properly fill a shock, if you learn one you have learned four!

Have fun driving and be proud to be your own pit crew

RC Champion
    That is a good thing to do. Once you learn the truck it will be easier trouble shooting any issues that arise, replacing any parts, and setting up the truck for the conditions you drive in.
    Stampede 4x4
    Anza Slash VXL
    Rustler VXL

RC Champion
    Good thread. Making and keeping your suspension unbound is for me the key part of my ongoing maintenance of my race Slash and Rustler. The difference this makes to handling on the track is simply huge.

Scrutinise every single moving part and pivot point in your suspension and free it up as much as possible.

One of the best things you can do is resize every hole that takes a pin to properly fit the pin. I do this with a 1/8" drill bit or 1/8" arm reamer. Obviously all your pins must be perfectly straight in the first place.

Also keep your slider shafts smooth by filing/sanding them and clean with rubbing alcohol. Also if you invert them (female at tranny end) they stay cleaner longer due to gravity allowing less dirt to enter.

I also now clean all camber link plastic rod ends and ball joints with a cotton swab and rubbing alcohol, I was amazed how much binding these built up over time.

STRC hinge pins are a great upgrade as their through design allows them to swivel in the arms themselves which reduces friction further plus they stay straight (being hardened steel) and can't back out.
    Pretty please, with sugar on top, clean the RC car