RC Racer

Help me decide what servo please.

My Mini Summit's servo gears are stripped and I believe it's time to do some upgrading. I hear that ******* 390 and Hitec HS-85mg are popular replacements. I believe both are metal gears from what I have read. Are these the best options for replacements? Are they as fast as the stock servo? It sure seems like the stock servo is weak for throwing those Canyon AT's around. (especially when running in water and adding the extra weight) So which one of the two is better and are there any other options that I should consider.

RC Enthusiast
    I have read a bunch about which servo to upgrade to as mine is still in working shape wanted to get up on some reading before it did go bad and from what I have seen the ******* 390 is a good replacement there are tons of posts on this subject so you might be able to find a little more info on them
    emaxx 3903

RC Racer
    Went through 2 stock servos then swaped in a hitec 85. Its slower but awesome! It has the power to turn the canyons no problem. The only thing for the hitec is the servo arm. Not sure about the ******* but the hitec needs some mods to get a good solid arm on there.
    1/16 summit vxl/Slayer3.3/T-maxx2.5/HPI savage.28

RC Racer
    How much slower is the hitec 85? I must say though I was hoping for a drop and go sort of deal.

RC Racer
    i can personally say the ******* is great! all you have to do isinstall it as you would a stock one with all stock parts. the only thin you have to do is reverse the steering switch on the Tx. easy as pie!

RC Racer
    Wow, well that's cool! How is the speed of the ******* servo compared to stock? You might have just sold me on this

RC Racer
    it may be a little slower. im not exactally sure because my servo died and then i got the *******....

RC Competitor
    ******* for sure! Stock servo horn fits so all you have to do is shave of 4 little tabs and reverse the tx.

******* is a tad slower than stock (see youtube video) but you cant go wrong with metal gearing.
    MAN, Use Common Sense
    Funky Gecko, SumVee HDE

RC Turnbuckle Jr.
    sounds like ******* is the best option.

http://www.servodatabase.com/compare...,930,1677,2130

RC Racer
    So I checked my lhs (two to be exact) and neither of them carry *******. I was also told that they're a cheep Chinese part that aren't all that great. So my question is, why do all the RC guys seem to like them? I was told to do two stock servos by a guy at one of the shops. Oh boy. Anyways, where can I find these ******* 390's?

RC Turnbuckle Jr.
    Quote Originally Posted by arcaptainic View Post
    So I checked my lhs (two to be exact) and neither of them carry *******. I was also told that they're a cheep Chinese part that aren't all that great. So my question is, why do all the RC guys seem to like them? I was told to do two stock servos by a guy at one of the shops. Oh boy. Anyways, where can I find these ******* 390's?
    Yeap they are hard to find because they come from china, and you have to order it trough a web site that everybody knows, but can't mention it here since it is banned.

RC Racer
    I have the ******* TGY-390DMH and its way better then stock. Big improvement too as its alot stronger. Was $30.42 shipped and took about 10 days to get from Hong Kong, I think it ships from. Google the part number to find the dealer.
    Rally, Slash 4X4, Summit 1/16

RC Racer
    So my next question is, How strong is the ******* TGY-390DMH? For one I just need a new servo but I really want some Proline Trenchers and they are 2.8" tires. Can this servo handle it?

RC Racer
    Well, if you can afford it, buying 2 would be perfect. The ******* isn't enough to monster the tires left to right with stock tires, but it will turn them allot better then the stock one. I also think the 2.8 Trenchers are way way heavier then you may realize. I'd say 2 servo's and you'll be a over happy IMO. For me, I'm very happy with the 390. I never feel a lack of servo. I have put a ton of stress on the 390 and if it had a weakness, I would of found it by now. Try 1 and if you need more, buy another.
    Rally, Slash 4X4, Summit 1/16

RC Turnbuckle Jr.
    Quote Originally Posted by arcaptainic View Post
    So my next question is, How strong is the ******* TGY-390DMH? For one I just need a new servo but I really want some Proline Trenchers and they are 2.8" tires. Can this servo handle it?
    The ******* has 75oz of torque, IMO not enough for the trencher 2.8 they are way too big for the mini, you will have steering issues, heat issues with them, pretty sure they won't fit. I have then on my pede 4x4 and the stock servo has 125oz of torque. If you want trenchers I would look at the ones for sct.

RC Turnbuckle Jr. Jimmie Neutron's Avatar
    I find it funny when an LHS says "this/that is junk"...
    what I hear is "we don't sell that so it must not be any good"
    Whatever it is I just said... I could be wrong.

RC poster
    How do you run dual servos?

Sent from my MoPho on The Sprint Network

RC Turnbuckle Jr. Jimmie Neutron's Avatar
    You would need to get a second servo horn and linkage. The servo saver and Rx already has a hookup for the second servo.
    Adjusting the two so they do not fight to the death is the tricky part.
    Whatever it is I just said... I could be wrong.