RC Racer

Post Is it worth the money??

I am currently looking at buying a new RC this year and i am puzzled on which one to buy i really cannot figure it out i am looking at both the summit and the axial wraith.

first off all i am looking at price durability and fun

I have a rustler and a Merv so i have speed and a small scale sized car, so now i need somthing that can go over rocks.

i will mainly be using it in paddocks on our farm we have some awsome places for it like all over hard limestone rocks i am not to fused about weather or not its water proof as i dont run in alot of water anyway.
    it would be good if someone owns both of the trucks and could tell me which they perfer better.

I habe never owned a Axial product and i know that traxxas is very good in what it does and am sure axial is to.

Regards Josh
    Rustler VXL
    Merv
    Soon to be a Wraith owner :)

RC Turnbuckle Jr. pavmentsurfer's Avatar
    Never owned an axial wraith (or any other crawler for that matter) but what I can tell you is that I've owned a Rustler and a MERV and the summit is an excellent compliment. it does the things these other trucks don't do and it does it well. For what your describing as the area you run, the summit would be PERFECT. Like you, I was never too worried about waterproofing I just wanted something capable and durable and the summit is both. In completely stock form the summit is everything your hoping it will be. With a few modifications it will blow anything else out of the water.
    Pede, Summit,
    ERBE, Rally,
    Motley Crew, 1SQ

RC Racer
    THanks for your comment, i know the summit will be amazing but the price $$$$, over in new zealand its hard to buy traxxas, but there is one site Traxxas.co.nz and there summit is worth $1099 for an axial it is only $479 that is new zealand dollars by the way.
    What modifiications are we talking about to get the summit to be the ultimate
    Rustler VXL
    Merv

RC Qualifier
    My buddy has a wraith and I have a summit. He wants to drive my summit all the time. The thing with the wraith is that it is obviously a crawler. That's it. The summit is a bit of everything. Not a speed demon as I'm sure you already know, but still many more options to play with. Also from watching my summit vs my buddies wraith, the summit is hands down more reliable and durable. No debate there. I will agree that the price is hefty, but as everyone will tell you, you will be rewarded with quite possibly one of the most universal and reliable truck made IMO. Hope you get one. Then you won't need anyone telling you how awesome this rc really is. Good luck with your choice!
    1 Summit w/ 14.4v Dewalt
    2 Slash 4x4 Ultimate's

RC Qualifier
    Also the stock summit is already the ultimate, lol, but a dewalt 14.4 volt motor and some lipos and you have a monster of a truck. Although I will admit the dewalt is not absolutely necessary, it is certainly awesome for $35.
    1 Summit w/ 14.4v Dewalt
    2 Slash 4x4 Ultimate's

RC Racer
    Would you be able to PM me a good site to buy a summit from the states or somwhere else because over here in new zealand it costs $1099 in US dollars that is $861 does that seem to expensive?
    Rustler VXL
    Merv

RC Qualifier
    Yea. Here they are about $550ish. I will look into it when I get to work tomorrow and pm you.
    1 Summit w/ 14.4v Dewalt
    2 Slash 4x4 Ultimate's

RC Racer
    That would be great thank you.
    Rustler VXL
    Merv

PM out Summit
    Would you go flip my truck back over??

RC Champion
    just got a wraith - I prefer the summit. Actually its apples to oranges.
    -Stock the wraith is bad as a high speed truck. Top speed is like 11-12mph vs summit 21-22mph. The summit has the revo race proven suspension, i.e. buttery smooth over rocks at high speed, the Wraith in stock forms has stiff shocks and gives the truck a harsh and bouncy ride at high speed (and a solid axle fails compared to independent a-arms like the summit for speed).

-Slow speed turns are kinda hard and jittery especially on high traction surfaces (cannot unlock the diffs like the summit).

- Both trucks are supposed to be water proof but the summit completely. The wraiths esc has open areas, but the circuit board may have some type of water resistant covering (most castle escs do).

- rock crawling has to go to the wraith, I have aftermarket softer tires (not stock), But those along with the suspension angles allow the wraith to crawl up rocks quite a bit smoother than the summit. Also the esc has drag brakes and are adjustable so you can slow crawl without worrying about rolling backwards/forwards off the rock.

But overall fun factor goes to the summit. - feels a lot more "hi-tech" , can actually rip when you get the need for speed, and still does a good job climbing rocks, trails and stuff. The wraith (with its bouncy suspension and slow 540/550 sized motor ) is not "rock racing" anybody. Its really just a big crawler.

but you can customize either (softer suspension, fast brushless motor etc etc)
    Last edited by noir 522; 01-03-2012 at 10:07 AM.
    MAN, Use Common Sense
    Funky Gecko, SumVee HDE

RC Racer
    Thanks for your opinions, the summit really does sound like the one i wont, but i dont know what to do about price i could buy 2 wraiths for the price of one summit
    So atm i really do think it might have to be the wraith for me as i am a bit tight on money.
    One day i do hope to buy the summit and see exactly what everyones going on about and im sure it will be awsome.
    Once again thanks for your time on helping me decide what would be best, and i can see that the summit does come out on top, but price wise i am going to have to go with the wraith. it will also be a learning curve for me as i have only ever owned traxxas vehicles and i would have to say i love the durability and awsomness out of there vehicles.

RC Turnbuckle Jr. pavmentsurfer's Avatar
    ^^ haha... TROLL
    2 Wraiths wont be as fun as one summit. Your really not supposed to ask questions like this here as the rules state we cant talk much about other brands.

The summit is worth the extra $$. $1100 is crazy though. I would have to think you could get one shipped to you off ebay or from tower or something for less than that.

You can save alot buying something else, but you get alot less in return. If you want the ultimate. Theres only one choice.
    Pede, Summit,
    ERBE, Rally,
    Motley Crew, 1SQ

RC Qualifier
    Why don't you not buy the Wraith right now so you will have the money to get the Summit later!!!
    Dirt Slingerz Racing
    Slash VXL - Summit

RC Qualifier
    Mob! Save the money and buy the Summit! Why hurry when you still have time to save, unless you want to play now that's another story, no one can beat the Summit IMO.
    Sharing is the best thing to do on EARTH legally.

A Summit will run over a Wraith anyday, all day.

Oh, by the way, this thread is over 1 year old...
    Sl2sh Slayer Summit Sl4sh Teton/Rally T-Maxx Pnde

RC Champion
    Quote Originally Posted by Wolfslash16 View Post
    A Summit will run over a Wraith anyday, all day.

Oh, by the way, this thread is over 1 year old...
    Yea but it still holds true.
    MAN, Use Common Sense
    Funky Gecko, SumVee HDE

RC poster
    Hey where are you / where did u get yours from for $479