RC poster

Red face new to traxxas and this is what i got

i bought a slash first few days later after some research and shopping i bought a summit vxl. I don't know to much about traxxas. i used to run and old rc10 buggy and one i think was called a hornet by ae. they where my fathers old cars. now, i want to know what upgrades are recommended besides lipos those are coming soon.

RC Qualifier
    first, shim the diffs

then just repair/upgrade what breaks from there. typically drive shafts (replace the stockers with MERV shafts) and front A-arms (upgrade to RPM's when the time comes) seem to be the common things

RC poster
    Hmm ok ill probly upraged the axels when I get the lipos. I've seen some people state that they will break with the extra power. I have no clue on how to shim the diffs lol. But thanks for the info

RC Enthusiast
    Cant believe that JN hasnt beat any of us to this lol here is a guide on shimming. Pretty sure this is the thread.

http://traxxas.com/forums/showthread...-your-bulkhead
    emaxx 3903

RC Turnbuckle Jr. Jimmie Neutron's Avatar
    I was out getting groceries!! lol
    Whatever it is I just said... I could be wrong.

RC poster
    hmm looks like i need to sit down and rip into the truck. im still kinda iffy about ripping into a brand new truck but well see. besides local shops which are wiped out right now. can i find parts online

RC Competitor
    Tearing into something brand new is always pretty daunting, but they're a fairly straight-forward design. Exploded views are available from Traxxas.com, study those a bit to get a feel for how everything goes together and print them or keep your computer nearby while reassembling for the first time if you still aren't confident. Definitely shim the diffs, but overall just go play. Different stuff breaks for different people, but the diffs in these are a pretty common failure for a lot of us so go ahead and fix that now. Otherwise don't fret about fixing something that isn't broken These are pretty stout out-of-the box and most of the time I break my Mini Revo I end up putting stock parts back in, but there are a ton of aftermarket parts available. Personally I prefer to go play rather than spend money

RC Racer
    I know how you feel chrisk2010. The teeth of my diff gears stripped a couple days after getting my Mini Summit. I was not looking forward to tearing the truck apart since I was and still am new. It really isn't as bad as it sounds. My suggestion is get some ziploc baggies and a sharpie and label the heck out of everything. Especially the screws and gears. I even drew pictures of the screws when I labeled them. Just take a couple hours and be patient with your work. It will all turn out great

RC Enthusiast
    Quote Originally Posted by Jimmie Neutron View Post
    I was out getting groceries!! lol
    I figured it had to be something!!!
    emaxx 3903

RC poster
    Yea I hate working on my cars its nerve wracking

RC poster
    broke one of the drive shafts lol bad part is i was running on the pavement and grass lol

RC poster
    the costumer service for traxxas is amazing i called told them what happened and new merv shafts are on there way in whoot. any one ever use the steel upgrade set?