RC Champion

time to do some mods.

alright my slash 2wd brushed has been sitting for a while, ever since i got my slash 4x4. Its time to give some attencion to it.
    My upgrades are going to be:

- RPM front a-arms
    - RPM rear a-arms
    - RPM gear cover
    - RPM rear bumper
    - RPM front bumper

Now for the big part.....WHATS A GOOD,RELIABLE,CHEAP BRUSHLESS SYSTEM?????

RC Turnbuckle Jr.
    How fast are you trying to go?

RC Racer
    If you are wanting something cheap then I would go with a ezrun 60a esc and a 3500kv tacon motor from hobbypartz, it is a reliable system. but you are not gonna be going extremely fast with it, all though it does have some power. That system will run you about $80.

RC poster
    Sounds like a plan! Why not just grab the Velineon brushless system? Seems pretty solid with a 2-3S lipo and they only run like $160 over at tower!
    A redline a day keeps the doctor away!

RC Champion
    I've got a 2s lipo and 3s lipo. I am running the vilineon in my slash 4x4, so I'd like to try some different system

RC poster
    Ahh got ya, well sstumpf's plan seams solid I'm about to go take a look at those systems.
    Last edited by Redline_Pegged; 01-02-2012 at 10:01 PM.
    A redline a day keeps the doctor away!

RC Champion
    I've never heard anyone regret buying the CC SCT 3800 combo. It's a bit too powerful IMO for a 2WD but can easily be detuned via the ESC. That way it would also run a very low stress level. At $140 it's $20 more than it used to be but is still incredibly good value.
    Pretty please, with sugar on top, clean the RC car

You can get the same Castle system rebranded as the Duratrax Element 3900 system.$115 Shipped on ebay. To be able to properly tame the power, your gonna have to add $25 on for the castle link. The link software works with the Element system, as it is a castle system.
    Sit down, buckle up, hold on, pay me...

RC Champion
    Quote Originally Posted by rag6 View Post
    You can get the same Castle system rebranded as the Duratrax Element 3900 system.$115 Shipped on ebay. To be able to properly tame the power, your gonna have to add $25 on for the castle link. The link software works with the Element system, as it is a castle system.
    It's not the same system, the Element motor is only 47mm long (6mm shorter than the CC 1410 3800 motor), is only rated for 2S max input power (vs 3S) and it doesn't include a motor fan. It must be less powerful and I would be concerned that it's only rated for 2S even if that's what I wanted to use as itbcould mean lower spec components.

Oh well, misinformed by my lhs guru. He is usually spot on. Anyway, did some research and it is a castle 1406 motor, so not sure on weather they would use sub par building materials as they will be handling warranty issues. The motor can take 3s, though it would be taxed on anything heavy. I would not run the sv2 esc on 3s either. The sv2 esc I have runs pretty hot on 2s with the vxl motor. I will need a fan when outside temps hit over 90. I dont see how it could run cool enough on 3s with anything over 3000kv.
    Sit down, buckle up, hold on, pay me...

RC Turnbuckle Jr. thedreadedend's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by rag6 View Post
    Oh well, misinformed by my lhs guru. He is usually spot on. Anyway, did some research and it is a castle 1406 motor, so not sure on weather they would use sub par building materials as they will be handling warranty issues. The motor can take 3s, though it would be taxed on anything heavy. I would not run the sv2 esc on 3s either. The sv2 esc I have runs pretty hot on 2s with the vxl motor. I will need a fan when outside temps hit over 90. I dont see how it could run cool enough on 3s with anything over 3000kv.
    The only truck I've been able to run with 3s and the 3800/sv2 is my merv. Flawless back flips in mid run at 40+mph lol. I was almost happy with the pro/3800 combo, I could run 2s or 3s but it was tough finding a gear set that would run glitch free with both.. what was good for 3s would stutter on 2s from lack of amps I think. Then when I got it right for 2s, it was under geared on 3s. But this was all running a tall/wide sl2sh mt. You may have an easy time getting it with a sc set up.
    I'm not a hatchet man! I'm a maggot!

RC Qualifier
    Try the castle creations sct 3800 system. Only 120 on ebay. Thats what I run in all my sct trucks. On 2s lipo it is just as fast as velineon on 3s. Its a 3800 4-pole engine and when you drive you would think that you would be running a 4000+ system. I give this system 5 stars. Its amazing.
    MERV + Custom LCG race slash

RC Qualifier
    its $130 for the velineon vxl3s system at tower when you trade in your XL5 ESC/12T Titan motor. Most importantly the vxl3s is waterprrof which makes for better bashability. Thats what we did on few of them and its worth every penny. Plus the warranty on Traxxas parts is nice to have. Also, I recomend the pro-trac kit for the 2wd...huge handling performance gain!

GL
    'Life is for living, not living uptight'

RC Enthusiast
    Tacon brushless systems are realy cheap. 23 bucks.

Edited for bypassing the language filter.
    Last edited by cooleocool; 01-03-2012 at 07:13 PM. Reason: post merge & language abuse

RC Champion
    Quote Originally Posted by TheSlash101 View Post
    Tacon brushless systems are realy cheap. 23 bucks.
    what size kv
    Last edited by cooleocool; 01-03-2012 at 07:18 PM. Reason: modified quote

RC Enthusiast
    Im not sure thats up to you

RC Qualifier
    +1 on tacon
    Just make sure on the tacon that you order ones with the right bullet connectors. I know that they come with either 3.5 or 4. Just saving you some hassle.
    MERV + Custom LCG race slash

RC Champion
    I bought a Tacon 3650 11T 3200kv very recently for $25. It has 4mm bullet connectors. It's nowhere near as fast as my SCT 3800 motor and runs much hotter but has a very smooth feel to it which is nice. So far I really like it and if it holds up over time will consider it to be a good buy. Just one issue, the motor wires are very short and I needed to make an extension lead to reach the ESC.

RC poster
    the Velineon/VXL is only $135 from Traxxas with the Powerup program