RC Competitor

Question About A Possible Motor Upgrade

well i guess i'll start by saying that i had my Slash for about a week then the Titan 12T motor that was in it went out. I plan on contacting Traxxas about it to see about getting it replaced possibly. Until I can get a new 12T i bought a Thunder Tiger 17t motor and while this is working out good I REALLY want Brushless. I have looked at a few and I like the traxxas for its waterprood ESC and the motor itself. But want im wondering is would a Duratrax Element 3900 KV Brushless Motor & ESC by Castle combo be just as good as the Traxxas Vilineon or at least comparable to it. All the info for this is at this link http://www.duratrax.com/motors/dtxc3122.html
    only thing im not looking forward to with the Element is that it doesnt seem to be waterproof
    Last edited by ILSlasher1980; 01-01-2012 at 10:29 PM.

RC Champion
    There is some good info on a thread I started that may be helpful to you from many of the more experienced folks here.
    However this rig looks interesting to me too. Features of the DE10 ESC with programmer device are great, pricing?

For the money spent mad the security of waterproof fun the Velineon too is an excellent value and a rocking' performer with Lipo power up to 11.1v and you can gear it for multi use and not likely worry much about heat issues. Lots of affordable Velineons available both new and used it seems.

Hope to hear some input on your question from someone familiar with it.

RC Competitor
    The duratrax motor/esc combo at the hobby shop i go to they told me runs about $118 dollars brand new so its fairly cheap. I too am looking for some more input as im still new to this hobby.

RC Competitor
    and I too am hoping to hear some input on this subject because like you i am unfamiliar with it

RC Champion
    I don't have the Element system but I do have the four pole CC SCT 1410 3800 and 1406 4600 motors. The Element motor appears to be a cross between the two. It's has roughly the physical size of the 4600 and the KV of the 3800 which probably makes it less powerful than both but being four pole has the same high level of energy efficiency and cool running. For racing a 2WD I would think it would have almost the perfect amount of power as both of my CC motors are frankly a bit OTT. The ESC looks just like a rebadged CC Sidewinder.

My one concern is that the system is rated for 2S running only and hope this is not due to it being inferior material wise to the CC branded products. For an extra $20 I would probably favor the SCT 3800 combo and if necessary detune it for the track via the Torque Limiting feature in the Castlelink software.

I would think it would be similar in power to a Velineon but have a smoother feel and run a bit cooler.
    Last edited by Mr Wolf; 01-02-2012 at 07:57 PM.
    Pretty please, with sugar on top, clean the RC car

RC Competitor
    kk thanks for the info now ive got a heck of a decision to make. I like the Velineon system due to the fact that its all waterproof, But from what i've seen Castle Creations has better motors and ESC. The Duratrax Element combo is lower priced but it may or may not be as good as a true Castle Creations motor/ESC. Anyone have an opinion on what they would do?

RC Champion
    If being waterproof is important to you then go with the VXL/Velineon. Otherwise get a Castle system, 3800 motor for bashing or 4600 for racing. Ideally with a MMP ESC but if your budget doesn't stretch that far then Sidewinder.
    Pretty please, with sugar on top, clean the RC car

RC Champion
    I have the Element combo. Never used the motor, but the ESC sees duty in my son's 6lbs 4x4 rc running a C40-8L hacker. The ESC is tougher then it looks. The Hacker puts out more power then the 1406 4 pole motors and the Element ESC just stays warm.

Link to a comparison pic of the Element motor vs others.----> Element motor
    2 KILOWATT RACER

RC Enthusiast
    I've used that Elements system as well as the SCT 3800 and VXL. The Elements system is for all purposes the same as the Castle brand SCT package. A couple things were changed (no motor type programming, no external on/off switch for the ESC and a slightly different Kv rating), it's now seeing use in my Losi 22 because the waterproofing is essential here for offroading with the Slash but +1 to what others have told you about the ability to operate it with many different types of gearing and not worry too much about temps, also since it's 4 pole you'll see a nice low-end torque gain. The Sidewinder ESC can handle 3S but it's going to get hot, you'll want to fashion some type of ESC fan for it if you go that route. Interestingly the Castle CC shroud fan is an almost perfect fit for the ESC and you can attach it with zip ties, at least that's what I did for my Rustler.

Sorry forgot to clarify, the motor in the Elements system is based on the Castle 1406 (the SCT package uses the 1410 motor). If you look on their site some of the 1406 motors are rated at 3S max and some at 2S.
    Last edited by cooleocool; 01-05-2012 at 01:38 PM. Reason: post merge

RC Competitor
    Good info to know I'm glad some ppl had used the element system. I might just go with that for now but I'm still undecided honestly.all I can say is TOO MANY CHOICES!!!

Sent from my SPH-M820-BST using Tapatalk

RC Turnbuckle Jr.
    you will be happy with MMP-3800