and it's slowly progressing into a MERV... somewhat...
First time poster here; been lurking almost a month but haven't been able to register to make any posts for some reason...
Figured I post up and introduce myself and show what I got
Got into hobby grade RC's with an Axial SCX10 crawler, but wanted something faster. Been wanting a Slash, and will more than likely end up with a Platinum in the near future, but in the mean time I found a 1/16 Summit in the classifieds on the crawler forum I frequent for $160, and I just couldn't pass it up.
It has acquired the nick-name Spider Monkey by a guy at work, simply because of how ridiculous and overpowered it is for it's size, and the name has kind of stuck, lol.
When I got it, it was all stock accept for a Castle Sidewinder SCT, which is fine by me because that's a good replacement/upgrade anyhow. So I put in a good size order with Tower Hobbies for some parts (MERV rockers, Traxxas steel drive shafts, new battery door, shims for the diffs, a series connector that I later found out I can't use with the Sidewinder anyway...) as well as a pair of lipos and a charger (this little guy got me into lipos finally; no more NiMH's for this guy!) and got a used Spektrum receiver to put in it so I could use my DX2S with it. Before I even installed all the parts, I threw a lipo in it and blipped the throttle and broke a front drive shaft... so glad I order the steel drive shafts right away! Installed all the parts, and then had some MAJOR fun with this little guy!
I have found out the dusty floor at work is VERY fun to run this little guy on!
Decided the body looked too high, so I did some trimming on the body mounting posts and dropped it as low as it would go. Font bumper sticks up a little high, but it doesn't bother me all that much.
After that I installed the stainless steel screws, steel hollow balls, and bolted on a 25t pinion and a 45t spur. The thing HAULS after that! Only running a 2s lipo, so the motor doesn't get too hot; about 140 after a pack running it pretty hard, but I also installed a heat sink at the same time so maybe that helps.
Took it to work the next week and drove around in the shop again, only to run into a "stationary object" at about 35mph, snapping the front right upper control arm...
Took a drive down to the local HobbyTown USA, and they had all the RPM arms in stock, so I grabbed them all
Took it out today with a pair of dirt coarse wheels and tires that I got for free and beat the snot out of it to test the strength of the RPM arms, and MAN do they ever take a beating! I'll post a video up later after I upload it, but here's the aftermath; a little dirty. Nothing broke all day but a battery door fell off, lol
Have some Road Rage tires on Titus wheels on order right now to run on pavement. Here's some passes I did with the stock tires. Not a good angle, but it shows how the 25t pinion and 45 spur get it moving pretty quick!