RC Qualifier

STARTED as a Summit...

and it's slowly progressing into a MERV... somewhat...

First time poster here; been lurking almost a month but haven't been able to register to make any posts for some reason...

Figured I post up and introduce myself and show what I got

Got into hobby grade RC's with an Axial SCX10 crawler, but wanted something faster. Been wanting a Slash, and will more than likely end up with a Platinum in the near future, but in the mean time I found a 1/16 Summit in the classifieds on the crawler forum I frequent for $160, and I just couldn't pass it up.

It has acquired the nick-name Spider Monkey by a guy at work, simply because of how ridiculous and overpowered it is for it's size, and the name has kind of stuck, lol.

When I got it, it was all stock accept for a Castle Sidewinder SCT, which is fine by me because that's a good replacement/upgrade anyhow. So I put in a good size order with Tower Hobbies for some parts (MERV rockers, Traxxas steel drive shafts, new battery door, shims for the diffs, a series connector that I later found out I can't use with the Sidewinder anyway...) as well as a pair of lipos and a charger (this little guy got me into lipos finally; no more NiMH's for this guy!) and got a used Spektrum receiver to put in it so I could use my DX2S with it. Before I even installed all the parts, I threw a lipo in it and blipped the throttle and broke a front drive shaft... so glad I order the steel drive shafts right away! Installed all the parts, and then had some MAJOR fun with this little guy!

I have found out the dusty floor at work is VERY fun to run this little guy on!

Decided the body looked too high, so I did some trimming on the body mounting posts and dropped it as low as it would go. Font bumper sticks up a little high, but it doesn't bother me all that much.

After that I installed the stainless steel screws, steel hollow balls, and bolted on a 25t pinion and a 45t spur. The thing HAULS after that! Only running a 2s lipo, so the motor doesn't get too hot; about 140 after a pack running it pretty hard, but I also installed a heat sink at the same time so maybe that helps.

Took it to work the next week and drove around in the shop again, only to run into a "stationary object" at about 35mph, snapping the front right upper control arm...

Took a drive down to the local HobbyTown USA, and they had all the RPM arms in stock, so I grabbed them all

Took it out today with a pair of dirt coarse wheels and tires that I got for free and beat the snot out of it to test the strength of the RPM arms, and MAN do they ever take a beating! I'll post a video up later after I upload it, but here's the aftermath; a little dirty. Nothing broke all day but a battery door fell off, lol

Have some Road Rage tires on Titus wheels on order right now to run on pavement. Here's some passes I did with the stock tires. Not a good angle, but it shows how the 25t pinion and 45 spur get it moving pretty quick!

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xQfys8wZEuk

RC Qualifier
    Welcome to the forum , You seem to have figured it out pretty well. Nice truck it is fast.
    Keep the shiny side up!

RC Champion
    Welcome! Newb that's not a noob, you know what you're doing and I approve of all your upgrades (well maybe not the venom lipo)...

RC Qualifier
    thanks guys!

I've actually had very good luck with the Venom's so far. I got them along with a Venom Pro Charger and they're great, in my opinion

oh and here's a vid of yesterday's outing. that me bashing on this little guy near the end, before the track racing, lol. wish I could have gotten some video of it on the track. the thing is just a LITTLE to small though; the track throws it around a lot

Last edited by iamsuperbleeder; 01-02-2012 at 10:43 AM.

RC Qualifier
    my dog REALLY hates this thing, lol

RC Qualifier
    well, an afternoon of bashing has tuned into a pile of broken pats

killed a drive shaft, a wheel hex pin, and most insanely the motor, and when the motor went out one of the leads on the ESC got so hot it desoldered itself :what:

but it was catching so much air, lol

but hey my new pavement pounders showed up today, even though I can't use them any time soon now

sent from my BAMFed Thunderbolt
    fix, run, break, repeat

RC Qualifier
    this is really annoying... I have this thing sitting on a shelf with a brand new set of tires, RPM axle carries installed, and have YET to drive on them... I need to hurry up and do a 1/8 BB conversion on my Slash so I can take the 1/10 Velineon system off it and put it on this little guy

the ESC is definitely shot plugged it into the Velineon 3500 on my Slash, and as soon as it arms up it just makes the motor hum... not good... the motor, well, yeah the coils came unglued from the outer casing, so it's shot too... when you spin the rotor, it actually rubs against the coils. I'm thinking that's what cause the ESC to burn out too; probably shorted out inside the motor...
    Last edited by iamsuperbleeder; 01-22-2012 at 09:05 PM.

RC Competitor
    how did you get this thing to go so fast?????? and awwww it broke lol..

RC Qualifier
    Quote Originally Posted by Adtelesco View Post
    how did you get this thing to go so fast?????? and awwww it broke lol..
    lol, 25/45 gearing

and that's partially why it broke

BUT, I bought a Sidewinder SCT and it should be in this week, AND tax return money should be in the bank soon, and then I'll be ordering a motor mount, a 1/10th Castle motor (although not sure what KV as of yet), a full bearing kit (all of the wheel bearings are pretty much shot...), some aluminum toe and push rods, and some GTR shocks. MAYBE a new body and some bumpers too. depends on what I have left after all that and putting some money into my Slash 4x4 too probably end up getting a pair of 3s batteries as well. this little fella is going to HAUL!
    fix, run, break, repeat