Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast
    RC Champion
    I only do NiMHs so I just have a Prophet Sport II from Dynamite.
    http://traxxastuesdays.webs.com/apps...toid=151773226
    To the men and women of the US military, thank you

Texas, Chemical Plant along the Gulf Coast
    I joined the Powerlab-6 bandwagon a couple months ago also. Once you owm one you wonder why you didnt spend the money in the begining. It'll be the last one that I own. I purchased my setup from Progressive RC. Very good bunch of folks over there. Powering this bad boy is a 600W PSU. No slacker in anyway. A couple weeks later i had seen a couple folks using Server PSU's so i flew to ebay and picked 2 up fairly cheap. I havent put them together yet. But i did fire them up and they purr like a kitten. They will supply me way more than i'll ever need. I think combined they will output 1150W if i remember right. KSB helped me out with that. I also spent the big bucks on their MPA parallel board. If you don't have one of those you don't know what you are missing either. I find it a very good investment also. The software is totally sweet, very powerful stuff there. I havent even tapped it. Anyways here's my setup. Oh and I parallel 6- 2S packs & balance them in 30-35 mins.

Weak Revenge
    Strong Forgive
    Intelligent Ignore

RC Champion
    you elitist powerlab owners should be ashamed of yourselves. such bad influences on a poor dope like me.

for shame.

FieroMan121|SPC LiPo powered|Vintage TRX collector

RC Turnbuckle Jr. pavmentsurfer's Avatar
    ^^ thats exactly how i felt when jakey and KSB were "all up in my face" about how great it was... I felt like so much less of a man I got one myself. Now I walk a little taller, smile a little brighter and get lots more looks from the ladies. All thanks to a PL6.
    Pede, Summit,
    ERBE, Rally,
    Motley Crew, 1SQ

Screenshot of a real charge I just completed. Notice the "Output = 500 Watts" line. (It changed to 0.5 kW right after, but that was the limit.) If I want to pull more watts from my PSU, I'll need higher-count packs. I'm only halfway to its and the the charger's maximum.
    Alt-248 on the number pad =

RC Champion
    Can somebody explain these fancy graphs and computer setups to me? Why is it more complicated than plugging it into the wall, plugging in a battery, and waiting for a beep?

I'm not sure they would matter at all if you are just charging some NiMH packs on the wall.
    Either way, the details are probably better addressed in a dedicated thread.

RC Champion
    I assumed they were more for lipos, and too complicated for a single post in this thread. Can you just tell me what the program is called and I'll go research on the internet? Or is it more complicated than just a program I can research... more like an entire concept I need to grasp?

FMA Charge Control Software Tour
    FMA Charge Control Software Download Page
    The Prophet Sport II manual is 2 pages. The PL6 manual is about 80 pages longer. You are absolutely right about not being able to cover it all in this limited space.

KSB it doesnt hiccup on 2s packs but when I put some 3S in there it really starts to draw some WATTS. Thats when the new PSU build would come in handy.

I need to pull some ideas on the best way to setup those 2 server PSUs. Being that i'm at work on standy for a Turnaround for the next 45+ days. Weekends tend to be really quiet here. I might have to drag my bag of goodies to work to wire and solder them up.
    Weak Revenge
    Strong Forgive
    Intelligent Ignore

RC Competitor
    Just charging nimh's at the moment with a Dynamite.

I design power supplies, battery back ups, chargers, and LED lighting systems for a living. If I ever get some spare time, i will design my own charger for the hobby. I've done a li-ion backed up LED driver that included cell protection and charging that was fully adjustable via usb control. Wrote some PC side software for that as well as the firmware too . That was a 3000mAh system. Biggest I've done so far.

How are you wiring them in series? I'm guessing 12v 30amps 360watt power supply should handle a Thunderpower T610 and a simple 2s 5300mah lipo at full 10amps. But I was looking at Thunder Power 820CD which is a dual port 20amp(at each port) charger with a total of 800amps or the larger TP1430C(30amps 1000watts). What would be needed to run this? I'm only going to be doing 2s lipos and maybe 3s but having the ability to do more is nice.
    Powered by Tekin. Go Tekin or go home.

Quote Originally Posted by Emaxx2.0 View Post
    How are you wiring them in series? I'm guessing 12v 30amps 360watt power supply should handle a Thunderpower T610 and a simple 2s 5300mah lipo at full 10amps. But I was looking at Thunder Power 820CD which is a dual port 20amp(at each port) charger with a total of 800amps or the larger TP1430C(30amps 1000watts). What would be needed to run this? I'm only going to be doing 2s lipos and maybe 3s but having the ability to do more is nice.
    Anyone? I purchase this. http://www.ebay.com/itm/140700184449...84.m1439.l2649 for my Thunder power charger. So is this capable of handling 20amp chargers?

Rouleau, aka "Dog River", Saskatchewan, Canada
    Quote Originally Posted by Emaxx2.0 View Post
    Anyone? I purchase this. http://www.ebay.com/itm/140700184449...84.m1439.l2649 for my Thunder power charger. So is this capable of handling 20amp chargers?
    Its got enough power to easily run a 20 amp charger, with power left over. Whether or not it will work to provide that power steadily for the entire charge process without overheating is something nobody but the manufacturer can tell you. But I've seen guys running chargers off of computer power supplies, x box power supplies and many others than I didn't think could handle it, and they have been successful with those setups, so I'd imagine you'll be fine. Be sure to post your results using this supply, cuz it looks like a good setup with all those easy connection points. good luck!
    Never trust an "Atom", they make up everything.

Never regretted getting this combo:

Most fancy function is that it says my name when it starts up
    Nobody is born with experience.

^^^ Say what??? In a female voice, " Hi, *your name here* ". LOLOLOL I'm jealous.
    Weak Revenge
    Strong Forgive
    Intelligent Ignore

Quote Originally Posted by BaldyDaniels View Post
    Its got enough power to easily run a 20 amp charger, with power left over. Whether or not it will work to provide that power steadily for the entire charge process without overheating is something nobody but the manufacturer can tell you. But I've seen guys running chargers off of computer power supplies, x box power supplies and many others than I didn't think could handle it, and they have been successful with those setups, so I'd imagine you'll be fine. Be sure to post your results using this supply, cuz it looks like a good setup with all those easy connection points. good luck!
    I did use it on my Thunder power t610c(10amp 80watt max). The power supply can be set to 14.8volts and was ice cool. Now seeing as I used 2s only and maybe plan on using 3s lipos it can handle the Thunder Power TP1430C(30amps 1000watts) while charging at full 30amps (IDK if my actually doing the math right). 8.4volts x 30amps is only 252watts and using a 3s is 378watts(ok but it will easily handle a 20amps charge). Other option was Thunder Power 820CD which is a dual port(400watt 20amps per port) and using a 2s lipo 8.4v x 20amps is 168watts x 2 is 336watts total. If I'm not doing this right let me know.

Something to remember about charger and power supplies is that the charger will step down or step up the voltage from the PSU, depending on the pack being charged. This has a direct effect on the amperage needed. Running a 24V PSU (assuming your charger can accept that input) will greatly reduce the amperage needed vs. a 12V PSU.
    When I set my charger for a 40A charge rate for parallel charging a bunch of 3S batteries, the maximum amperage the 24V PSU output a maximum of 23.10 amps.
    Last edited by ksb51rl; 04-22-2012 at 11:29 AM.

RC Turnbuckle Jr. Jimmie Neutron's Avatar
    This is why I feed my charger 24V.... less heat build up for "large" charges.
    Whatever it is I just said... I could be wrong.

RC Champion
    I use the Venom pro charger and it's pretty sweet. I only paid 100 bucks and it will do every battery I own, including my lawn mower if need be
    erbe emaxx 26maxx s27revo 18tmrevo XXL platinum

RC Qualifier
    I just bought an Onyx 200, since I only have NiMh batteries. I just plug it into an outlet and set it on the side of our grill, doesn't really need a picture. Haha
    Slash VXL
    Rustler Hobbywing
    Summit 1/16 VXL

Quote Originally Posted by ksb51rl View Post
    Something to remember about charger and power supplies is that the charger will step down or step up the voltage from the PSU, depending on the pack being charged. This has a direct effect on the amperage needed. Running a 24V PSU (assuming your charger can accept that input) will greatly reduce the amperage needed vs. a 12V PSU.
    When I set my charger for a 40A charge rate for parallel charging a bunch of 3S batteries, the maximum amperage the 24V PSU output a maximum of 23.10 amps.
    Wow thank you for making that easier to understand. I was looking at your power supply setup and was wondering what exactly is needed that the author on the tutorial site didn't include. Is it as simple as bridging and can you go from 12volt to 24volt with a switch of a wire?