RC poster

still having probs with "trail" summit

i have a summit 1/16th vxl, i have locked the diffs using plumbers putty, did the tranny flip mod, and installed pro line flat iron tires on 2.2 beadlock wheels. the problem im having is that the esc and motor get so hot after about 5 minutes of running. im aware im running larger heavy tires and wheels but i thought the lower gear ratio from tranny flip would help this problem. on a single venom 1600 nimh the esc thermals in under 10 minutes. there is no binding or mesh issues that im aware ive triple checked all that kinda stuff before turning to the forums for help. i wanted to extend the chassis slightly and use this truck in the woods and on simple crawls, but im gettin frustrated now and may just turn it back to stock. any help would be appreciated or if anyone else has done similar mods without the problems that would be helpful also. thanx

RC Enthusiast
    Try changing one thing at a time back to stock and see if you can isolate the cause. For example, I would try removing the plumbers putty and see if you get the same results. If it still thermals, try putting the stock tires/wheels back on. Then the stock tranny setup. I hope you get it worked out

RC poster
    thanx for the quick response, i should have mentioned i tried it with the stock tires and wheels and it still thermaled. im thinkin the problems is the locked diffs, which i hope it isnt cuz its fun to be able to climb up stuff

RC Enthusiast
    Yeah, I suspect maybe the putty is causing some binding. You could try changing the trans gear back first to confirm.

RC poster
    yah ill give that a shot, i like the extra torque from the low gearing of the tranny flip though

Even in stock form my summit was always on the verge of thermalling, I think the heavier wheels probably pushed it over the edge. You could also try a lower gear (55t spur?).
    MAN, Use Common Sense
    Funky Gecko, SumVee HDE

RC Racer
    my summit would thermal everytime i ran it, ended up being a dodgy esc. I found that the tranny flipped does keep the temps lower. i dont know what plumbers or silly putty is, but here in oz i use blue-tac. Its like a putty i guess, people use it to put pictures up on there wall with it. Ive got that in my summit diffs with a flipped tranny and have run it here in summer with 50-16 gearing and now 50-23 gearing with no thermal problem, yet. (i do have a fan on the esc, without it it thermals, ive tested it with and without fan and the fan does good) Check you wheel bearings and other rotating parts. Especially if you been out in the weather or mud, when my wheel bearings almost siezed up it did my head in what was binding up, nothing was binding, was just the bearings. cleaned and lubed them and back to new and rolling smoother.
    Also maybe flip the tranny back to stock, i say that coz then you can push the truck with your hand along the ground. I found that pushing it and taking real notice sometimes helps to find the problem. That practise dosnt work so well when the tranny is flipped tho coz when ya push it with your hand it alomost feels like its binding up.