RC poster

Troubleshooting (possibly ESC?)

Background:
    Bought for my son for christmas, he slammed it into a pole at about 3/4 speed (dual battery, parallel configuration, sport mode)
    Broke the chassis, and both the front and rear diff covers.

I replaced the above parts, and when I put it back together, I couldn't remember the positions on the receiver for the steering servo and the ESC.

I looked in the owners manual, and put them in the correct positions:
    steering servo to the (2nd) channel 1, and ESC to channel 2

powered up and everything worked fine.

Ran the car in training mode for about 5-10 minutes and did not run it hard (so my son wouldn't crash it again), and then it went out of line-of-site behind a car and stopped. When I regained line of site, it wouldn't go. I pulled the body off, and the LED for the ESC was off. I held the button, and nothing.

Disconnected the battery pack(s) and let it sit for a bit.

Nothing. No flash of the LED in either color. Nada.

Pulled it apart to check for possible mis-wiring or something. Couldn't find any loose connections.

Opened the receiver cover, to check the terminals again.

I removed both the terminals. I first plugged the steering servo in to channel 1, without the ESC plugged in. I pushed the power button, and the green LED came on. I turned it off, and plugged in the ESC and powered it back on. Nothing again.

I unplugged the ESC and turned it back on, green LED. I plugged the ESC in without powering it off, and the power light went out immediately.

Other info:
    Nothing smelled burnt or funny
    Only has maybe 30 minutes total run time on it.

What should I do. It's a long weekend, and my son and I have little time to spend together other than the weekend.

RC Turnbuckle Jr. Jimmie Neutron's Avatar
    I did not see in all of that where you unplugged the servo, left it unplugged, and attempted to see if the ESC worked.

Sounds like the servo went, but... read my signature. lol
    Whatever it is I just said... I could be wrong.

RC poster
    yeah, forgot to post that part. ESC plugged in without the steering servo = no power up.

** I stand corrected. When I plug the ESC into the receiver without the steering servo, it gives me the steady red.

The throttle works via the controller.

Soon as the steering is added, it powers itself off again.
    Last edited by cooleocool; 01-01-2012 at 08:47 AM. Reason: Post merge.

RC Qualifier
    Steering servo is bad, if the vehicle is this new call traxxas support they will get you squared up and back up and running

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

RC Turnbuckle Jr. Jimmie Neutron's Avatar
    Unfortunately, this is quite common.

I have upgraded both of my 1/16ths to a ******* 390.
    Here is a list of servos that fit:
    http://www.servodatabase.com/compare...1677,2119,2130
    Whatever it is I just said... I could be wrong.

RC poster
    thanks guys, appreciate the info. Guess I'll call Traxxas about it soon as the holiday weekend is over, and discuss it with them.

In the mean time, I'll start researching upgrades that wont break as easily.

I didn't realize that a R/C in this price range would have that many things go wrong so easily. No doubt about it, it is definitely fun though!