RC Racer

Anyone care to post a review, comments, or observations on the EZ Peak Plus Charger?

Hi peeps,

Like the Title says... Can someone please post a review, comments, or observations regarding the Traxxas EZ Peak Plus Charger?

Thanks,

grecinos
    IT'S NOT A TOOMAH!

RC poster
    i am not inpressed with this charger opened my present (summit 7205) for x-mas used very little went to recharge battery go to find the wire that connects to the charger was broke off where the wire/ gold spade connect. so i resoldered the two back together but not getting it to charge my battery any help in this matter?

RC Racer
    I bought mine directly from Traxxas. I was having problems with my old charger (Super Brain 989), it just didn't charge my lipos like they should. The EZ Peak Plus charger worked right out of the box. I just had to follow the instructions in the manual and the charger did the rest. I have a 3s 5000 mah Lipo, and it charged the battery down to the last mah. It also worked great on the Nimh stock battery that came with my Slash 4x4. As for your problem, from what I understand, the charger has a lifetime warranty. I would call Traxxas and request a warranty replacement. Let us know how it turns out, I'm interested in hearing what Traxxas has to say about their lifetime warranty policy.

-grecinos
    IT'S NOT A TOOMAH!

RC poster
    thanks for the fyi i will call them and let them know i am new to the sport and thought i would be better off going with the electric models then take it from there. do you think i voided the warranty by trying to resolder the wire back on the spade?

RC Racer
    I don't think what you did will void the warranty. If something breaks while you are using the charger under normal conditions, I think that falls under the category of warranty replacement for a defective unit. But, I would explain to them what you did in regards to the resoldering, just so they know you weren't doing anything drastic like dismantling the unit, swapping out parts, etc.
    IT'S NOT A TOOMAH!

RC poster
    Got mine last week, tried to charge LiPo got nothing! Waiting for RMA# but there closed till Tuesday.

RC poster
    i have a ton of questions about batteries, the chargers for them,what would be my best bang for my buck.i am looking at upgrading to a better battery one that might give me longer runtime,does it need a different charger etc.something thats compatable with my stock unit summit (7205) since my current stock chargers broke. thinking road trip to nearest dealer today.should i be in this thread ? though i dont have a ez peak charger to comment on .

RC poster
    just call traxxas got a charger coming very impressed with the support thanks

RC Enthusiast
    Quote Originally Posted by grecinos View Post
    Hi peeps,

Like the Title says... Can someone please post a review, comments, or observations regarding the Traxxas EZ Peak Plus Charger?

Thanks,

grecinos
    I received mine last week, the dual 3S adapter is still on back order. Im impressed with the unit, looks well built and operates without issues, comes nicely packaged as all Traxxas goods. I previously had a ******* Accucell-6, the EZ Peak Plus menu's and operation is 99% the same.

RC Racer
    I've had mine for a few weeks now as well. I have nothing but good things to say about it. It's really easy to operate. I have two 5000 mah 3s Venom Lipos and the charger charges them to (exactly) 5000 mah. The Nimh battery that came with my Traxxas Slash 4x4 charges equally as well. The only problem that I'm having with my batteries is that the adapters that came with my Venom Lipos doesn't fit perfectly with the traxxas plug. This is a problem with Venom and not the charger, however.

All in all, I'm real happy with this purchase.
    IT'S NOT A TOOMAH!

RC Competitor
    I got this charger for x-mas, I didnt need it but it was a gift. The menu and screen are the same as the Thunder ac6 and comparable Ac680. So if you use one of those, this is the exact same thing. I was suprised at how small the unit is. It is alot smaller than my Onyx 235 and Thunder chargers. This is a nice charger though, the balance board wires are about 8in. long compared to 4in. on most chargers. This gives you more distance to charge in your bag without using balance board extentions.I havnt used it that much because of the winter but so far so good. I would say get it if it fits your battery needs.The price is fair and the Traxxas support and warranty are great.

RC poster
    sucks,,didnt work from the start

RC Racer
    Quote Originally Posted by sdcajma View Post
    sucks,,didnt work from the start
    Have you tried calling Traxxas Tech Support?
    IT'S NOT A TOOMAH!

genXrated
    So I got my EZPP charger on Wednesday and got to try it last night. Did a discharge cycle on my packs first since I broke down before I could run them down. One on the EZPP and one on my other brand. The EZPP seemed to discharge @ a faster pace, being done in 120 minutes vs. the other taking 210 minutes. Don't recall what total mah was on either by the end of that portion. On top of that, the balance charge cycle brought the pack on the EZPP up to approx. 3200mah and stopped @ 120 minutes vs. the other going to approx. 3500mah in 115 minutes.
    I find it odd that the EZPP stopped @ 120 minutes on the nose during both cycles. Is there a timer limit in this charger that I'm not aware of?
    Packs being charged are 5000mah 30c 2s and have less than 10 cycles through them total. Discharge cycle was @ 1amp on both and balance charge cycle was @ 2.5amps on both. These packs are ran in my EMBE.
    Curious what other people have to say as far as their experiences with charging and discharging #s.

RC Racer
    Quote Originally Posted by genXrated View Post
    So I got my EZPP charger on Wednesday and got to try it last night. Did a discharge cycle on my packs first since I broke down before I could run them down. One on the EZPP and one on my other brand. The EZPP seemed to discharge @ a faster pace, being done in 120 minutes vs. the other taking 210 minutes. Don't recall what total mah was on either by the end of that portion. On top of that, the balance charge cycle brought the pack on the EZPP up to approx. 3200mah and stopped @ 120 minutes vs. the other going to approx. 3500mah in 115 minutes.
    I find it odd that the EZPP stopped @ 120 minutes on the nose during both cycles. Is there a timer limit in this charger that I'm not aware of?
    Packs being charged are 5000mah 30c 2s and have less than 10 cycles through them total. Discharge cycle was @ 1amp on both and balance charge cycle was @ 2.5amps on both. These packs are ran in my EMBE.
    Curious what other people have to say as far as their experiences with charging and discharging #s.
    I only used the discharge feature on the EZPP a few times in order to prep my batteries for daily use. I set the discharge rate at 2amps (as far as I can remember), and it did a good job. Before I started using Lipo's, I was using an MRC Super Brain 989 charger. It did a great job at charging Nimh batteries, but was horrible with my Lipo's (even with a Blinky). Now, I have 2 Lipo's, both 3S, 5400 mah and 5000 mah. I've been keeping track of how much charge it puts into the battery before it stops. If I run the battery down to near depletion, the charger always charges them to 5000 mah, right on the money. Including the 5400 Mah battery. I noticed that it reduces the charge rate as the battery approaches its limit, but it always charges it to completion within about 1 hour (at 5 or 5.4 amps). I used the recommnded setting for lipo's, Balance Charge.
    IT'S NOT A TOOMAH!

genXrated
    Thanks for the input grecinos. Going to run them down now that I'm fixed and then charge both on EZPP to see how it does. BTW, I laughed and said your sig out loud in the classic Ah-nold accent!

to run your lipos almost all the way down is very dangours and not good for the lipos. they will be damamged like that, your only suppose to discharge a lipo to 3.4v per cell. going any farther then damages and chance of a fire happening. justa little advice.
    DEU 8:18 ESV

genXrated
    Sorry, I should clarify. I run them down until the LVC kicks in, not down to zero. I appreciate the looking out mike!

RC Racer
    Quote Originally Posted by genXrated View Post
    Thanks for the input grecinos. Going to run them down now that I'm fixed and then charge both on EZPP to see how it does. BTW, I laughed and said your sig out loud in the classic Ah-nold accent!
    ****, glad to hear someone recognizes my quote!

Yes, running lipos to absolute zero is bad. I never go any further than LVC.

I'm curious what your results are going to be.
    IT'S NOT A TOOMAH!

RC Qualifier
    Yes, there is an overall timer, mah, etc limit separate from what you set for your battery profiles. Which...is actually the only lame and unexpected thing I've found on the charger (besides the temp sensor not being for sale yet ) Lame because, you can't set different time auto-off for different batteries. You'll definitely want to push it out for discharging, as that can take a long while at 10watts, then bring it back down for charging. I have mine set to 50 minutes as that's how long it takes to fully charge and balance my 5000mah lipo from stored voltage, then it goes to like 5 hours for discharging my 5000mah nimh, seriously. It all works great though, and spot on voltages, so no complaints really.
    P2de VXL - Summit

genXrated
    My first charging was a success. Ran the maxx around for a bit and it had just as much punch as with my other charger. And then I broke the rear tower off the chassis... insert sigh here...
    So needless to say, I don't know how long my runtime would have been. We'll have to wait until my new chassis arrives, which will probably be a week.