RC poster

Slayer Pro Newbie - Want to pick you guys brains about your setups.

I got a Slayer Pro a couple weeks ago and want to see what you guys have done to help the handling of your trucks. I have owned several of the traxxas nitro and electric trucks but this is the first one I plan to keep for a while.

I am looking for race setups as well as general bashing setups

What I am thinking about doing is putting on 17mm conversion and 1/8 scale buggy wheels and tires. This will be ran on mostly medium - hard pack clay track. I am not sure what tire and wheel combo will work best for my situation. Also will it help the 2 wheeling. I noticed when I was just running it around the grass field that it wanted to 2 wheel and then it wasn't putting power to the ground. I was concerned that if I went with taller wheels and tires it would be more prone to do this. What's your thoughts.

Also I have thought about putting dual servos up front. Has any one done this? And what parts would I need to get to make this work. What would be the benefits? I just thought it might help turn the larger tires.

Is the center diff worth putting in and basically it just makes it a one speed and removes the tranny isn't that correct? I like the idea of the center diff so that I can put on the back brake and have adjustability in my break bias for getting into corners and stuff on the track.

Does your local track have a slayer class or what class do you run with? I don't see many people having slayers in my area (Southern Indiana)

Last but certainly not least do all the setup tips that is in the article Traxxas-Slayer-Setup-Tuning-Guidework well for the Pro as they did in the older model?

I am sure I will have more questions but this will get me started for now.

Thanks in advance
    JoeDirt

RC Racer
    Hey Joe, I had a slayer pro, I found that it could be quite tipsy too. What I did was put on the swaybar kit, that helped significantly. I also got the center diff and put in 500k fluid. It really helps keep the truck balanced by keeping power as close to 50/50 as possible. No this does not make your truck have only a single speed tranny, it just removes the solid front to back axle so that you can tune the truck more. The reason I took the cd out was becuase it fried my rear brake kit. Now this is potentially my fault because this happened when I was driving the truck hard on the street. Long straight aways, quick hammer on the brakes and then long straight again. However it does say on the packaging that the cd is for off road use only. I have considered the dual steering servo but I'm pretty sure you will not need it assuming you have the 2075 up front. If you do go with the dual I hear that it can be quite tricky to get them setup perfectly in sync, otherwise they will always be fighting each other and therefore use more battery power. I converted my truck to a revo, my changing the arms, and toe links and push rods to the revo ones. I also got the 17mm adapters and am using revo talon wheels and I have no trouble turning them at all with the stock single servo. You should check out Pro-Line, they sell some decent tires and have many different short course truck tires. I think that covers everything. Let us know if you need more help
    Slayer Pro turned Revo

RC poster
    I think my servo is a 2065 but I don't have it sitting right in front of me right now to make sure that is the correct number. Do the numbers on a servo stand for anything specifically?

RC poster
    Sorry it is a 2056 steering servo

RC Racer
    No they just stand for the model number. The 2056 has 80oz/in of torque. You should probably upgrade to the 2075, it has 120oz/in and I have seen it for like 40$....you can always see if you can get something else more powerful from your LHS
    Slayer Pro turned Revo

RC poster
    Has any one setup there suspension like it talks about on the article I attached above on a Slayer Pro?

RC Qualifier
    Ill tell u what i have and i only race it. Have a tmaxx for bashing. Anyway im running 17mm soft bow ties, front and rear sway bars, center diff with rear brake set up and 45wt all around in shocks. I also have a bone stock slayer pro and its night and day with the 2 trucks. The article, it might be a older slayer and not the pro. I did the 2 servo set up and didnt care for it. 2075 is ok if thats what u have but i would get something better. I had a hard time around tight turns with a 2075. Plus i went with a larger fuel tank so i only have room for 1 servo.

RC poster
    You have any pics. I would like to see your setup if you don't mind.

Also on the 17mm do you have to use 1/8 scale wheels or do they make 1/10 scale wheels that except 17mm wheel hexes?

RC Qualifier
    There 1/8 buggy wheels. I use the traxxas revo 17mm hubs. Ill post a few pics tonight after some night time racing..