RC Qualifier

Rally-style Rally (bunch of offoad pics thread)

I read a lot on the internets about how the Rally can't rally... Meanwhile, back at the ranch:

Last edited by prototyp; 04-27-2011 at 03:14 AM.
    The prototype project.

RC Competitor
    Nice. I wouldn't mind seeing some video!

RC Turnbuckle Jr. pavmentsurfer's Avatar
    Yes yes... video please... look like street tires on there. Or maybe I just cant see... are they knobby rally tires?
    Pede, Summit,
    ERBE, Rally,
    Motley Crew, 1SQ

RC Qualifier
    HPI X Pattern, D compound, non-radial. So, yea, sorta street but def have some grip on the flat/smooth ish dirt. I'd get knobbied tires for more chunky stuff like rocks, leaves, sticks, etc but not much of that around here.
    Last edited by prototyp; 04-27-2011 at 05:36 PM.
    The prototype project.

RC poster
    I definately have to get my pics posted. But being in afghanistan makes it a pain in the ***. I got the KB version of the rally while i was out here and figured it would be a lot of fun to do off road with it. I have some HPI rims with the Tamiya rally block tires and it handles amazing, the next thing on the list is LIPO for me. I'll try to get some pics up ASAP.

RC Qualifier
    I don't have a crew who will produce anything more than jiggly and not-well-framed video of squirrels (silly kids), and that's not fun to watch, so I'll look into some lightweight camera rigging on the car and maybe controller (or my head?) for video. I've got a Flip and an iPhone so ought to be able to get something together... (Fwiw, I've seen some Go Pro footage here, it's nice but looks like the rig gets heavy with the mounts). Next project, game on.

KDG, post up the KB getting dirty when you can... And yes, LiPo is next (still working out which, maybe SPC).
    Last edited by prototyp; 04-28-2011 at 03:40 PM.
    The prototype project.

RC poster
    I may have one of my buddies take some pics and vids after work today, see if i can get them posted too. It does really well out here in the desert. Definately a blast.

RC Turnbuckle Jr. pavmentsurfer's Avatar
    Go pro on an RC does not end well unless its mounted directly to the chassis and as low as possible. I mounted mine to the body of my stampede and all it did was flip over. Looked cool once... but after the first cartwheel I felt like I was gonna puke.
    Pede, Summit,
    ERBE, Rally,
    Motley Crew, 1SQ

RC poster
    any good/cheap lipo chargers and balancers that you would recommend?

RC poster
    So i tried to have a buddy of mine take some pics, but i can see what you mean about the squirrels ****. He is definately not the greatest photographer. Anyway's i will keep trying to get some decent pics and i'll upload them once i get them.

RC Qualifier
    More... local construction access path at sunset. Glorious fun:

The Rally is an herbivore apparently:
    The prototype project.

RC poster
    wow those are some pro pics they look awesome

RC Qualifier
    Cheers... More runs with some knobbily R2 "Performance" tires mounted up. Still finding it pretty challenging to shoot and drive at the same time. Good times.

The prototype project.

RC Champion
    ^Sweet pictures, those really do look professional.. I could never figure out how to take pictures and drive at the same time.
    Just accelerate, and only good will come.

RC Competitor
    awesome! i cant wait to get something off-able.
    X0-1/Brushless Boss 302

RC Qualifier
    very nice -- just built a rally cross track for my rally and mervs--- so tired of limited rally opportunities--- pics look great

is that an under-tray on the chassis?
    Last edited by cooleocool; 08-23-2011 at 06:20 PM. Reason: merge
    Boise, Idaho
    www.adventureiq.com

RC Qualifier
    Yea, living in a still-under-construction suburban area leaves plenty of rally opportunities. They don't last very long, unfortunately, but I'll take what I can get.

Yup... working on a ground-effects aero kit and wanted to bash-test the tray, figured some off-roading would turn up any issues. Held up very well, have to say...
    The prototype project.

RC Champion
    Quote Originally Posted by prototyp View Post
    Yea, living in a still-under-construction suburban area leaves plenty of rally opportunities. They don't last very long, unfortunately, but I'll take what I can get.

Yup... working on a ground-effects aero kit and wanted to bash-test the tray, figured some off-roading would turn up any issues. Held up very well, have to say...
    Sure, but now you can use the economic crisis to your advantage. At least where I am there are a few started neighborhoods with nice smooth paved streets, and just on the other side of the curb some tougher terrain. They are slowly disappearing, sadly.
    Higgins: It's not a scratch! It's a bloody gouge!

RC Qualifier

Decomposed granite is still my nemesis... the stuff hates my Rally. Just a couple minutes on a baseball diamond doing the Pikes Peak prototype thing, the steering fully jammed up:

Got me thinking perhaps a simple deflection panel might keep much of the grit from spraying into the steering works:
    The prototype project.

RC Racer
    Hey prototyp, What is your purpose for the plastic underbody? Also how did you attach it?

RC Qualifier
    MOR GRIP

The floor system and wing are the results of an experiment over the last year that has proven out that, even at 20 or 30mph on road, there's enough air movement to be managed that I can at the very least noticeably reduce lift if not generate a little downforce. Thing handles like a slot car with the setup on, significantly more slidey without. Attachment methods and design details are a bit of a secret for the moment.

Running my road rig on dirt was a moment of ridiculous hooning, but it was pretty awesome. Good dust trails. Unfortunately it sucked dirt up into the gears and such so I had to do a near full teardown afterwards.
    The prototype project.