RC Racer

Question Wheel n tyre choices

Hey all, after trawling the search forums ther seems to be alot of conflicting theories on wheels n tyres. I use my merv as an offroad basher/jumper at the local grass parks and gravel car parks with very little tarmac action. After cracking 3 out of the 4 standard wheels im wanting to upgrade but am unsure...the issue is weight and size, I love the look of the proline beadlocks and dirt hawgs but many say they add too much weight (great for handling but increases resistence which burns out the esc/motor). The traxxas white dished rims and proresponse are lighter and the same size (2.2") but no-one seems to run them...anyone any ideas ? many thanks, Phil

the proresponse are great tires, but will get destroyed quickly on the street

don't get beadlocks, they are heavy....

tons of light choices and tons of great tires....

gotta figure out what you are looking for first....

i love my buggy dirt hawgs on ym wide truck hpi mesh rims

will be getting rpm revolvers or another set of mesh wheels to run with a wide truck tire by proline soon

RC Turnbuckle Jr. Jimmie Neutron's Avatar
    A great all around tire:
    Buggy Rear Dirt Hawgs on all 4 corners.
    A great rim with this tire:
    It is between HPI Mesh or RPM Revolver Wide Track... or Traxxas Dish... that is all a matter of taste, really.
    Whatever it is I just said... I could be wrong.

RC Racer
    ok any chance of some pics and do i need to mod the merv in any way..i assume i wont with the dished white ones but what about the others?

RC Racer
    i use proline dirt hawgs on 2.2 traxxas dish rims it works very well on all surfaces.

RC Racer
    Quote Originally Posted by minierevo97 View Post
    i use proline dirt hawgs on 2.2 traxxas dish rims it works very well on all surfaces.
    i thought about that but my lhs said they wont fit...is he talking out his butt then?

RC Racer
    what he said they wont fit!? they fit perfect best all round tire imo

RC Qualifier
    there are two types of dirt hawgs, truck and buggy rear, we're talking about the latter. maybe the lhs salesman thought you meant the truck version. in anycase, the buggy rear dirt hawgs DO fit trx wheels. but since you haven't bought anything yet, have a look at this thread...

http://traxxas.com/forums/showthread...eels-Installed

RC Racer
    that looks aweosme man but im a bit worried abt the extra strain the extension wil put on the rest of the drivetrain as i use mine for grass bashing at a local mini-golf course with lots of grass hills to jump and flip over. As suck if it cartwheels i wouldnt wanna think how much pressure the four corners would be under...hence no beadlock or alloy rims...but awesome looking truck man

RC Racer
    after having a nose around I think im torn between the jconcepts rulux or the traxxas dished...i guess with the dished rims it stops as much crud flying into the turnbuckles...and painted black they would match my new body....but the jconcepts are sexy

RC Racer
    I use the RPM Revolvers w/ Proline dirthawgs in that last link. I like them a lot! If you do decide to go that route you have to drill out the outside wheel nut hole a little deeper to get more threads on. Be careful when doing this, I let a buddy do it for me and they wobble a little. Looks great though.

RC Qualifier
    Quote Originally Posted by Aetious Martin View Post
    after having a nose around I think im torn between the jconcepts rulux or the traxxas dished...i guess with the dished rims it stops as much crud flying into the turnbuckles...and painted black they would match my new body....but the jconcepts are sexy
    they do like nice yeah
    by the way, don't paint the plastic parts. to effectively change the colour, you have to dye them.

Quote Originally Posted by Firemandan View Post
    Be careful when doing this, I let a buddy do it for me and they wobble a little. Looks great though.
    thanks for the tip

RC Racer
    Quote Originally Posted by Umar Musa View Post
    they do like nice yeah
    by the way, don't paint the plastic parts. to effectively change the colour, you have to dye them.
    Excellent thanks for the link bud ill deff be doing that, as long as i can find some rit over here in the uk im sold

RC Qualifier
    no worries. i got mine at a material and craft store, check for those in your area.

RC Racer
    hmm guess ill have to go shopping and find summat...will any other kind of dye work or does it have to be rit..also while on the subject of wheels n tyres what is "strapping" and hows it work ?

Strapping 101:

I imagine any dye brand/type will work.

RC Racer
    cheers Jimmie your a fountain of knowledge to us mere mortals lol

Aw shucks!

RC Qualifier
    I've gone through many different sets of wheel & tire combos. My favorite off road setup is the Traxxas Canyon AT tires on HPI MT Mesh wheels.

RC Qualifier
    You put memory foam in your tires? Like the memory foam from beds...
    * "If it ain't broke, your doin it wrong" *

RC Racer
    Quote Originally Posted by eat2muchrice View Post

P.S I love memory foam, from my bed to my wife's victoria's secret bras
    Excellent ....and the hpi mt mesh wheels are the the one that look like the TSW Venoms from real cars in the 1990's...the ones i saw on ebay said they wernt hex wheels ?

hmm some of them advertise as 15mm hex and 12mm hex some no hex but all come with adapters...im assuming the hex size is the large nut shaped "hex" that the wheel locks onto on the outside of the turnbuckle?
    Last edited by cooleocool; 12-30-2011 at 02:45 PM. Reason: post merge

RC Qualifier
    2196 is the correct part number. They're a direct fit.

RC Racer
    oh awesome cheers man thats excellent ill go looking...want to get a set for off road prob with the canyon at's and a set of rulux with road rages for tarmac and carpets