RC poster

Slash VXL problems

I was runnging my truck on a concrete driveway when the truck just stopped moving. The truck acts and snds like it is wanting to move but the wheels will barely turn. I tore some of the back apart and messed with the slipper clutch to see if thats what it is but when I tested it, it didnt help. It seems that when the wheels are off the truck the drivetrain will work and spin but once the wheels are on and placed on the ground it will hardly move at all, almost making a grinding noise. I did notice too that when you reverse the slipper clutch it will completely disengauge from the motor. Im still learning about this truck as it is my first real RC vehicle. I basically have the whole back end torn apart trying to fix it but am not having any luck. Wanted to see if anyone here could steer me in a good direction before I broke down and called the support line.

RC Champion
    If its not your slipper the it Sounds to me like you may have sheered off the pressure pin on the spur gear shaft that holds the main drive gear on, does your spur gear shaft slide in and out more then 1/8 of an inch?

I just had this same issue.....

RC poster
    I would check your wires from the ESC to the Motor. A friend of mine was having similar issues and found that the solder holding a connection was broken. For him it was the connection where the motor wire connects to the ESC wire. If you have a voltmeter that would make it pretty easy to know for sure.

RC poster
    The spur gear moves out more than an 1/8 inch, It goes out past the other gear on some cases when its on. I tried tightening that back up but it doesnt seem to want to tighten. Wires look good, I dont have a voltmeter tho but visually they all look good
    Last edited by jcollum83; 12-27-2011 at 10:47 AM.

RC Champion
    Then thats what happened, there is a little pin that holds the main trans gear on the spur gear shaft that has sheered off, part #3793. When this happened to me i had the spur gear set too tight.
    The pin i am talking about has a 3793 beside it and is only sold in the shaft.
    http://traxxas.com/sites/default/fil...n_091215_0.pdf
    Last edited by jaman; 12-27-2011 at 10:49 AM.

RC poster
    Ill go check that out right now, appreciate it, hope that is what it is. Things been a pain tryn to fix

RC Champion
    Also if you can , a pic is worth a thousand words......

RC poster
    I went up and tried to get the rest apart to get to what you said and im gettin fustrated. Cant seem to get any farther on ripping it apart so I took pics for ya.

When I last tested it last night every gear and the driveshafts on the rear wheels all spun. Just seems as though when I put tires on it and on the ground it wont move but a few cm at a time. Sucks bein a noob at this stuff lol
    Last edited by cooleocool; 12-28-2011 at 09:56 AM. Reason: Post merge.

RC Champion
    That tells me slipper clutch but you said it was tight so....the shaft that the spur gear is on is the shaft, you will need to remove the trans and open it up to get at the other side of the shaft.

RC poster
    Heres how much it moves out, like i said, more than an 1/8

RC Champion
    Yup, that pin is gone....you need a new input shaft #3793, i bet you will find 2 peices of the pin when you open the case up.

http://traxxas.com/sites/default/fil...n_091215_0.pdf
    Last edited by jaman; 12-27-2011 at 11:28 AM.

RC poster
    Alrighty, well any insight on how to get the rest apart because I cant get that clutch off and the plastic casing. Since you seem pretty knowledgable do you recomend any upgrades while I have this thing torn apart?

RC Racer
    all you need to do to take the slipper off is unbolt the nut on the end. make sure the tires are firm on the ground because it you try to take it apart while in the air, the tires will spin and make it harder. here's a vid on how to rebuild the tranny.
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6Z23qdwjJ5M
    Last edited by Slick_Whip; 12-27-2011 at 11:37 AM.
    - Joe

Slampede VXL 2WD - Rpm, GH Tranny

RC Champion
    two scews on the back of the rear shock tower and the 2 screws holding the rear skid to the chassis should be all to remove it, in my previous post is the trans breakdown to get at the shaft.

Not really for upgrades but just make sure its all cleaned, the bearing roll smooth, the teflon washers arent damaged, maybe rebuild the diff and lub it up good before you run it, one thing i might recomend is 32p gearing.

RC poster
    Ill keep all that in mind while im having all this fun lol really appreciate the help with this. You saved me a lot of troubleshooting and im def greatful!!

RC Turnbuckle Jr.
    Yup this is a fairly easy fix, just a lot of digging.

I got tricked on those gearbox halves... the screws holding them all together are different lengths, you can use the exploded diagrams to know which one goes where.

I just slapped it all together, and ... well, it works better when you do it right.

RC poster
    Im def gonna have to refer back to that thing a lot cuz theres a lot of screws out of this thing now. Was hoping it would only take a few hrs last night to fix and I would remember how it went back together but looks like its gonna be in pieces till the new parts come in. Was looking at racing this thing in a few weeks for the first time at this new track but dont think I have enough practice time since ive had it.

RC Champion
    How did you make out with your issue?

RC poster
    Well I got it torn apart finally which was the toughest part, finding time with a job and kids is hard enough. Anywho I pulled out the slipper clutch and the pic I have is what im thinking is the problem you told me. When I pulled it out that little pin is gone. Is this what you were saying?

RC poster
    Also im realizing im calling stuff the wrong name lol so excuse me on that. First time tearing into the back. Wheres a good place to get parts from?

RC Champion
    Yes thats the pin, when you clean it out make sure you find both ends of that pin so it doesnt go through a gear when you run it again, look up part # 3793 and you will see the pin already instaed on a new shaft.
    Last edited by jaman; 12-28-2011 at 09:54 PM.

RC poster
    I took everything apart and didnt find it. I have no clue where it could have gone

RC Champion
    Ive broke multiple pins mostly from a tight slipper and for such a little pin they hold up good....Its also very small and i have had peices jammed in gear teeth and it just looks like grease.
    Last edited by jaman; 12-28-2011 at 10:01 PM.

RC poster
    ive never touched anything back there, only had maybe 2 hrs of run time on the truck itself when it broke. Ill def order 2 or 3 just incase. Besides traxxas i can find anyone who just sells those pins, just a rebuild kit

RC Champion
    I did manage to find the pins but for the .75 for the pin or $3 for the shaft and pin already installed seemed like a better way to go. I have noticed that if its cold out the slipper doesnt slip as much and needs to be loosened a little....was it cold?

RC poster
    Finally got my parts in today. Just ordered a whole rebuild kit along with a few other odds and ends for my next mishap lol it wasnt cold outside, was bout 80 degrees. Should be put back together today or tomorrow

RC Champion
    By the way, it sure looks like your siipper clutch spring is way too loose. Tighten it in and back off 1/4 to 1/2 turn when you gte it all together again!

RC poster
    Def gonna do that. This is my first real rc vehicle and im slowly learning what to watch out for and to check on after runs. Ill finally have time to put this one back together this weekend, then I have to rip apart another LOSI car my buddy gave me today. Looks like a nice one for the little one to start out with.