PM me if ya wanna bash at Greenwood Bashplex in Pittsburgh PA

1/8 Buggy Lovers: Will you make one out of these parts?

There have been many requests for a buggy from Traxxas for so long, just wondering if anyone was planning on using the driveline to try to make a competitive electric buggy? I realize that it would not be possible to use the chassis, but a custom alum chassis would not be too hard to make, and adapting parts from other vehicles for shock towers, chassis braces, center diff etc, could be possible.
    Wanna bash at Greenwood Bashplex in Pittsburgh ???

RC Champion
    I know they did it with the 4x4 slash and called it the "Back slash". IMHO It would be a long road to make a X0-1 into a battle ready buggy.

RC Turnbuckle Jr.
    I really don't understand threads like these.

Somone else says oh I wonder if we can turn it into a short course?

It's based on the Slash 4x4!

Oh I wonder if we can change it into a buggy.

It's based on the Slash 4x4!

If you really want a 4wd shaft drive platform for offroad, it already exists!! Go get that!
    Last edited by ducati777; 12-27-2011 at 08:41 AM.

^^^ I guess you are not gonna do it then?
    The title of the thread was not "why wouldn't you make a 1/8 scale buggy out of these parts?"

For the sake of killing time(lets face it, we will probably have a lot of it before any actual experience comes into play on this forum, and its really slowing down right now...), I posted this to maybe find something else to discuss about this product, rather than all the negativity that has come up so far. Besides, how do you know that traxxas is not gonna do it? And besides times 2, I love home brewed modifications and would like to hear anyone's ideas about anything having to do with recycling the new parts, that were obviously designed to work with many older parts. If the thread sucks, it will die. You dont have to kill it before it even has a chance. I dont understand posts like the one above(that is not an insult. I respect your knowledge too much for that), after all what else is there to talk about? If you have a topic you want to discuss, post one up, I'm bored.

This thread was inspired by the 4x4 rusty thread posted by aljo
    Last edited by cooleocool; 12-28-2011 at 09:50 AM. Reason: Post merge.

RC Turnbuckle Jr.

It's always nice to see how people convert these trucks/cars to something else (I did that a few times), but as far as I can see, the a-arms are not strong enough to match the a-arms found on stock buggys as to build something serious...
    200, 202, 420, humor 404, 301 to rc10talk, 410.

RC Champion
    i think the price of the car will put people off just buying the parts to make a bigger truck.
    slash revo vxl x4 rally x2 ped 2wd slash vxl rus

I think we all can basically agree on the parts that will not work. But look at the bucket 1/2 full. What parts would maybe be up to the task? And what would it take (however unlikely it would be) to use those parts, with other readily available, and custom 1 offs, to finish it into a buggy?
    Last edited by rag6; 12-27-2011 at 02:22 PM.

RC Turnbuckle Jr.
    Ok in the name of killing time then....

The real question should be who's going to be the first to bring a 100 mph Slash4 to the table.

The XO is a TERRIBLE place to start for an offroad car. The front and rear overhangs, the lack of ride height, and more all kill that idea.

If you want to have fun with it, turn it into a rally car, or a drifter, or a pickup truck.... it just doesn't make any sense to buy the thing and turn it into a Slash4.

Or.... who's going to put a ERBE slipper in it?

Or a cushdrive in another traxxas car?

Or hack the speed limiter just for fun?

heck I've seen guys drive a 4slash across a lake with paddle tires. Who's going to be the first to hydroplane an XO???

Who's going to put wings on it and send it into orbit?

Who's going to improve the downforce and pull a 4g turn?

There's a ton of fun opportunities out there.
    Last edited by ducati777; 12-27-2011 at 04:02 PM.

I give up, thanks for being so open minded.
    Last edited by rag6; 12-27-2011 at 09:10 PM.

RC Turnbuckle Jr. pavmentsurfer's Avatar
    I think its a cool idea. Its not a slash 4X4... its a different size more like a 1/8 buggy. Don't worry rag, there are those who are open to ideas.

It won't be me... I can tell you that. But I have to think it could be possible to install extended shocks, maybe extended arms and get some extra travel. Im sure trimming the chassis would also be possible with some time and a dremel. It couldn't be that hard to turn this thing into a buggy if your really wanted to.

I think the biggest issue with the idea is that the base price is $1000... I think it would simply be crazy to spend $1000 to build a traxxas 1/8 buggy that won't be nearly as good as a real 1/8 buggy... BUT... I think its possible. ANYTHING is possible with these platforms and the slash 4X4/backslash etc are all proof of it.
    Pede, Summit,
    ERBE, Rally,
    Motley Crew, 1SQ

RC Turnbuckle Jr.
    Quote Originally Posted by rag6 View Post
    I give up, thanks for being so open minded.
    Hmmm not sure if srs.

Tell you what, I'm going to assume this is a serious comment and simply say you're welcome.

Because it would be foolish to imply I'm being closed minded after giving you nine (9) new ideas for the XO.

Texas, Chemical Plant along the Gulf Coast
    @ Rag whether or not it can or can't be done someone out there will prove otherwise. I think once it gets released and someone gets bored there will be all kinds of mods. Like said above money will be the initial issue unil the chop shops on fleabay start doing there thing. I'd be excited I just get the car itself. I'm very positive about stuff, negativity just makes people want to work at it harder.

I'm very open minded to this thread and can't wait to see the results of some mods like this. Cuddos!!!
    Weak Revenge
    Strong Forgive
    Intelligent Ignore

Quote Originally Posted by pavmentsurfer View Post
    I think its a cool idea. Its not a slash 4X4... its a different size more like a 1/8 buggy. Don't worry rag, there are those who are open to ideas.

It won't be me... I can tell you that. Me neither. But I have to think it could be possible to install extended shocks and towers, maybe extended arms and get some extra travel. Im sure trimming the chassis would also be possible with some time and a dremel. I cant see how this chassis will hold up. I think a dedicated aluminum 1 off chassis, or another adapted one could.It couldn't be that hard to turn this thing into a buggy if your really wanted to.

I think the biggest issue with the idea is that the base price is $1000... I think it would simply be crazy to spend $1000 to build a traxxas 1/8 buggy that won't be nearly as good as a real 1/8 buggy... I dont mean buy the car, just use all the 1/8 buggy worthy parts that have come from it. It would be nuts to buy the car for 30% of it(unless the take offs are selling for so much that it is more feasible to take out what you want, and sell the rest and get all your money back. We wont know until the chop shops work their magic.) BUT... I think its possible. ANYTHING is possible with these platforms (+1)and the slash 4X4/backslash etc are all proof of it.

Pave, if you were traxxas r&d, which parts would you want to cross over?

Oh, and I am not giving up on the thread. Just giving up on trying to explain where I am coming from.
    Last edited by rag6; 12-28-2011 at 09:40 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by ducati777 View Post
    Hmmm not sure if srs.

Tell you what, I'm going to assume this is a serious comment and simply say you're welcome.

Because it would be foolish to imply I'm being closed minded after giving you nine (9) new ideas for the XO.
    Someones in a bad mood. I think its a viable thought ducatti. Obviously we all understand him meaning the electronics, other useable parts, etc.. I dont understand why it was so difficult for u to understand that the expensive part to this rig is not its chassis, its it powertrain, trx link, and more importantly driveshaft demensions. Unless u chop up a 4slash driveshaft and combine with anouther one. Which has been done to make a MT and didnt work out, than ud use some of the guts, coupled with a custom alum chassis "as rag said clearly" to make a 1/7-1/8th buggy.

And if u had disagreed, u could have said that in one sentence: i dont think thats a good idea.

Personally, id never buy it as is and transform it into a buggy. But it would be cool to have access to it to study its demensions and hardware points and fab a chassis, than order parts to have a diff platform to work with and build a buggy. I would just purchase individual parts myself off the shelf if i was going to do such a thing. But i dont think "I" will be anytime soon. . I do want to pick me up a xo however, when budget allows, wil prob be in a few months.
    Last edited by AbSoLooT1; 01-11-2012 at 02:48 AM.

Guys, if I'm reading the first post correctly, Rag6 didn't say a word about converting an XO-1 to a buggy. He is asking about who might use some of the parts (not the entire car) to build a buggy. I, for one, am planning on getting the motor mount and other things and cutting my own flat chassis for my Slash 4x4. The motor mount is sick. You guys need to lighten up and read the entire post before going off. In fact, don't go off. If you don't like what a post says, move on. Don't bring negative energy to something positive.
    Last edited by 3_rolls; 01-11-2012 at 10:43 AM.
    Roll cages are RC training wheels

I couldnt agree with u more. That was my point to.

But i gotta tell ya 3_rolls. I envy ur place of work . Big time . However as much as ive spent, I am a minor share holder. Lol. It will be cool to see whats done with the XOs parts. I.e. Electronics, motor mount, this paticular drive shaft , etc..

What I envy most, is the ability to touch,drive,and modify these cars, years or months before they are availible to the public. Not saying 3rolls has or does not have that clearance, but going to work must be a happy experience! Hopefully the employees get a big fat discount on cars. At least thats the way it should be.

Amen man. Problem with me would be id be handing my check right back to them, even with a discount lol.

Btw, u guys move already? I cant wait to go to ur Mckinney, TX location one day and see the museum, and where the magic is made, etc..

Texas, Chemical Plant along the Gulf Coast
    Dude, i'd love to work for Traxxas. It would be an amazing experience. The wife would prolly ask me are you ever going to home from work. LOL If it's anything like working for GOOGLE it would be great. All i'd have to do is move a tad bit north.
    Weak Revenge
    Strong Forgive
    Intelligent Ignore