Thread: Lipo question

RC Racer

Lipo question

My 2S is not charging to full mah is this common or is it something I'm doing. Its a 5000 mah that normally charges to 3500 or so. I use a AC6 for charger at 5.0 amps currentlly. I was charging at 3.5 - 4 amps at first. I raised it to see if thats part of the problem. Is there some type of cycle to do to lipo's. Thanks for any info.

RC Racer
    im no lipo expert but you could try a lower amp charge like a trickle charge
    e-revo
    slash 4x4
    summit
    rustler vxl

RC Champion
    The charge should terminate when the battery's voltage reached 8.4v.

What voltage is the battery when it comes off the charger?
    Pretty please, with sugar on top, clean the RC car

RC Racer
    Its normally full charged on voltage. I forgot to mention I always use the balance setting. I tried it tonight on a charge setting gonna see if that does different.

RC Champion
    Mine always get to full voltage but doesn't always read 5000mah. I would go by volts since it prolly only counts the mah it put in not the total of the battery.

RC Champion
    All it means is you aren't running your battery super hard. Your LVC is probably set around 3.5 or something high.

It's not weird to go from completely drained (3.5v) to fully charged 4.2 and only use about 80% of your capacity.

There is a quote unquote theory that you shouldn't use more than 80-90% of your lipo capacity. If you use more then you are killing it faster and won't get as many cycles from it.

RC Racer
    Ok I never thought of that. Its always full volts. My LVC is whatever Traxxas set it at. Thanks.

RC Champion
    I understand the Traxxas LVCs are set on the high side which IMO is a good thing. I'd rather lose a few minutes of additional run time than risk damaging the battery.
    Pretty please, with sugar on top, clean the RC car

RC Turnbuckle Jr. pavmentsurfer's Avatar
    It can also be a setting on the charger. Some chargers are set to max out the voltage at 4.18 VPC instead of 4.2
    My iChargers were set this way when I got them and I couldn't figure out why my packs wouldn't take full charge. Once I bumped it up, the pack started taking full charge. So check and see if your charger has a setting like this.
    Pede, Summit,
    ERBE, Rally,
    Motley Crew, 1SQ