RC poster

Question Bigger tires for the mini e revo

I have only just recently got my brushless mini e revo and im looking at upgrading to bigger tires. what modifications do i have to do to be able to run bigger tires? I have figured out that I would need to make the wheel base wider so i would be able to turn, but im not sure how to do this. Would I need to change the pinion gear as well to prevent the motor from over heating? And what are some good tires you recconmend, ive been looking at Pro-Line as ive heard they are good quality.

When you use bigger tires, you should gear down (smaller pinion or bigger spur gear). Proline Dirt Hawgs are great tires and they are bigger than the stock Talons.
    Nobody is born with experience.

RC Champion
    I'm not sure on the gearing but I wouldn't think that by going up just one size larger that you would need to change your gearing. I don't think the stress on the motor will be that great but hopefully someone will chime in.

As far mods, you could look into wheels that have an "Offset". Most of the stock wheels are deep and the outer face is nearly flush with the outer tire surface. A wheel offset has the center of the wheel where the hex hub is more towards the center line of the wheel. When put on what this does in effect is it keeps the inside of the tire/wheel away from the vehicle.

You also look for Hex adapters that have an offset. These do the same effect as above (keeps the inside of the tire/wheel away from the vehicle) but this allows you to "push" out the flush faced wheels away from the vehicle. The only issue I see for you using the hex adapters is that it means you maybe only able to find wheels with 14mm hex's or larger which in turn may be over sized to the point where you will have to change your gearing.

Just my thoughts from a Noob!

When you go from stock Talons to Dirt Hawgs, the tire diameter increases with 15%. To stay on the same top speed, you need to go from 23T to 19T, so I don't agree with no need to gear down. I can understand that is something you would overlook easily.

Sent from my Transformer TF101 using Tapatalk

RC Turnbuckle Jr. Jimmie Neutron's Avatar
    The stock tire size is pushing limits on the electronics.
    A gearing change is required with a tire change... unless you baby it and temps are never over 120-140.

Stock offset with larger tires is fine.
    You do not need to go wider, but wider is better to have more stability due to the greater height.

A good all around tire is the Buggy Rear Dirt Hawg (1071-00)
    A rim that fits the MERV and this tire well is the Revolver Wide Wheelbase (82232)

A good place to start with gearing is the included "speed" pinion (23 tooth) with the stock 50 tooth spur.
    I would order a larger 55 tooth spur along with a 22 and 21 tooth pinion to give you more options.
    Whatever it is I just said... I could be wrong.

RC poster
    thanks for the replys guys. that rim doesnt seem to catch my eye, is there any other rim that will fit this wheel or is that my only choice.

I don't know which rim you don't like, but the Titus wheel with the Dirt Hawg looks like this:

^^ And spends a lot of time on the shelf.

Quite a few sets of these are collecting dust because of the weight. The extra weight slows your truck down, creates massive amounts of heat, and the inertia breaks parts.

HPI Mesh is another rim that widens the stance. They are wider than the tire, so it creates a unique look.

RC poster
    The Jconcepts 2.2 Relux wheel is another rim that will fit. Its made to fit the Merv so no hex adapters or modifications needed to the wheels. I ordered these with the pro-line dirt hawgz i just had to wait for them not to be back ordered. Should be here sometime next week.

RC poster

Cool

Hay I ve been looking for bigger tires for my 1/16 E-revo as well this is what I have found to be my best combination.
    Along withe the speed pinion and 55 tooth spur. You can safely take it down to the same gering as the 1/16 Summit out of
    the box it is 15.75 16 pinion and 50 spur
    http://www.bigsquidrc.com/ has some good reviews and suggestion for the 1/16 E-revo
    http://prolineracing.com/
    Titus 2.2" Black/Black Bead-Loc Front or Rear Wheels without weights Product ID: 2713-15
    Dirt Hawg I 2.2" M2 (Medium) All Terrain Buggy Rear Tires Product ID: 1071-00
    Per pro line you must use the new model number tires with the un weighted wheels.
    The reviews I have red say that the un weighted wheels work great and do not have the problems of the weighted ones.
    As the weighted ones were designed for 1/10 trucks. The new un weighted ones are designed for the 1/16 E-revo, summit
    and others smaller lighter faster.
    Last edited by Pesky1988; 12-31-2012 at 09:07 AM.

RC Racer
    Quote Originally Posted by 450outlaw View Post
    The Jconcepts 2.2 Relux wheel is another rim that will fit. Its made to fit the Merv so no hex adapters or modifications needed to the wheels. I ordered these with the pro-line dirt hawgz i just had to wait for them not to be back ordered. Should be here sometime next week.
    These are by far the best tire that I have raced with on the MERV. I have tried HPI Brama with Hole Shots, HPI Super Stars, with Hole Shots. I finally put these bad boys on my MREV, and now I am able to clear jumps that 10 scale STC can make with no problems. Not to mention I am geared 50 Spur / 23 Pinion. You wanna talk about super fast.
    2 MERV's
    2 1/18 Mini Desert Truck & Buggy

This is a 1 year old thread.
    The Titus locks discussed within this thread are not weighted... the weight of the rim itself is enough to cause the issues as described in post #8.