RC poster

Davis Diesel Conversion

Hello everyone! Well I guess lets go through the "stages" of my revo to better decribe how I got to where I am now. Bought the thing new ran it for a while thought it was pretty cool but needed some more power so I bought the supercharger from rb innovations definetly made a difference but still could use some more power so I then purchased the conversion from davis diesel installed it and I cant get it to run anyone else out there done this conversion? If so what were your baseline carb settings compression dome settings etc...?

Thanks

Supercharger The only difference it made was lean your engine out and the more you use it quicker it'll blow. If you want real power, you'll need to get a more powerful engine or send yours out to get modified.
    The Super Derecho

RC poster
    Never had any issues with it leaning it out, head temps stayed about normal. But I live at a little over 7,000ft in elevation so the only thing the s-charger is doing is making up for is what I lost in atmospheric pressure compared to people at or a little above sea level
    Revo 3.3, Diesel Conversion, Supercharged, DX3R

You're new hear, I see that. You may be a mechanic of autos and rebuilt many engines. However, when it comes to nitro engines such as these, superchargers do not work. How can you build compression when both the intake and exhaust ports are open at the same time? Sure you are getting good performance, but that is because the intake charge is lean. There are dozens of threads here on the forums and more experienced people that back this fact up. Look through the pictures in the nitro forums and tell me how many people but blowers on their engines. If superchargers really did work, then you'd see them on racer's engines at the track.
    Trust me, if you need to have more power, you could go to a different tuned pipe, mod the engine or go with a bigger engine and pipe.
    The Super Derecho

RC Turnbuckle Jr.
    Wow Double G, way to welcome the new guy.

I've never worked with the diesel, but its like a nitro right? Glow plug, needle carb, etc etc?

Are there baseline factory settings?

RC Qualifier
    More power = more broken parts. I found that I got away from the fun factor when I go too far. Mods are great but when your not up and running your not having any fun.
    Keep the shiny side up!

RC Racer
    Davis diesel conversions have been around for years and I dont think it ever really caught on in the traxxas community, so I dont think you will get much help here. Try getting in contact with davis diesel directly, and keep us updated with how it works out for you.

RC Champion
    if you live that high above sea level.. you will need to go up in Nitro percentage to get the power we get closer to sea level... try some byrons 40%... i bet you will like it... and get rid of the super charger... if you feeling up for it.. try the boat fuel 50% it has 16% oil though....
    you know.. i never had a sig.. but i do now...

RC Champion
    That's right, more nitro% means more oxygen coming in to your engine.
    Nitro has a high oxygen content and requires less air to burn in comparison to gasoline, for example.
    erbe emaxx 26maxx s27revo 18tmrevo XXL platinum

Since the exhaust port and the intake ports do not seal and actually are partially open at the same time,,, supercharging is extremely limited, the difference in performance does not equal to the amount of weight and complexity that has been added.
    High RPM lean out is very evident since added fuel can not be introduced into the combustion chanber as well.

For the price of a $150.00 engine and a $199.00 supercharger you could drop one serious nitro RC engine into the same project, less muss less fuss.

With 2 stroke, blowby principled engines, there's no replacement for displacement..... Not really....

Superchargers,,, they do look neat, but that's as far as I'll go with a Nitro RC though...
    Founder of H.U.A.
    Hop Ups Anonymous

RC poster
    Wow not trying to start anything the first week here I will not put any more salt on that wound. I guess I should clear things up here though, i'm not trying to run the s-charger with the diesel conversion so we can factor that out as a possible issue on getting this thing running.

The "diesel" if you will, is very similar to the glow engine, the only difference is the head in this case and I bought the upgraded connecting rod also from D.D.D. (also works for the nitro engines). There isn't a glow plug though and in it's place all you see externally is an allen head screw. On the other side of the screw (inside the head) theres a movable compression dome also called a contra piston. Moving the allen head screw in or out moves the contra piston closer or farther away from the top of the piston controlling compression and in this case timing. The reason for that is on a true diesel, fuel isn't injected until the piston almost reaches top dead center and is ignited by compression alone (contrary to what some people think NOT by glow plugs). In our case the fuel is taken in with the intake stroke (because our fuel also lubricates the crank and rod) and moving the contra piston takes care of timing by controlling when enough compression is built to create ignition. Also the "diesel" this thing runs on is just a mixture of Kerosene and Ether aka staring fluid. The ether lowers the ignition point of the fuel because the amount of compression required to ignite diesel (or kerosene) by itself is not possible with an engine like this.

"broken stuff" = a weak link preventing you from making more or getting more horsepower to the ground lol but I understand where you're coming from that's why you have toys to play with for when you break the toys you tweak on ha ha just kidding, I dont have that kind of money, well I guess I will give Davis Diesel a call for some tips on how to get this thing set up.

Thanks for the replies everyone i'll keep ya posted on what I figure out

Please reread the rules that you should have read when you signed up. This is a family-friendly forum and any profanity or offensive language will not be tolerated.
    Last edited by Double G; 12-27-2011 at 11:54 AM. Reason: Language removed

RC poster
    I want to see some video of this thing in action. I'm rather interested.

RC Champion
    Seems rather silly IMO.

RC Champion
    Yea what lubby said, ^5
    15 IS Enough, Time to thin down the fleet some.

RC poster
    Whys that?

RC Champion
    It's just my opinion, please don't be offended. There could very well be a future for rc diesels.

Quote Originally Posted by Twizlerskunk View Post
    I want to see some video of this thing in action. I'm rather interested.
    Just go to Davis Diesels web page, they have video's there.
    From the vids they have on the conversion it doesn't seem to spool up as quickly as the nitro engine on nitro fuel does.

I would try a higher nitro % for your higher altitude before spending a bunch of cash.
    Look out for the tree/crunch!

LiPo? Naw NITRO!!

RC Racer
    Bump for all opinions given to u. You are really overcomplicating this. Run higher Nitro or bigger engine or both
    If you're faster today, you won't be tomorrow.