RC Racer

What should I get. General Q's?

Looks like I get to pick out my X-mas present and I was thinking a 1/16 Rally, KB, Fiesta, or Boss 302. I know the chassis pretty well cause I have a mini Summit. So I have been wanting a street car and I can't decide what to get. I know I want a car with a VXL system. Can you guys tell me what the difference is between the Rally, KB, Fiesta, and Boss besides the body and tires? Are all the parts the same on the four kits? What's your personal opinion on them? Right now I'm leaning toward the Rally VXL. I am looking for some drifting, racing and high speed runs. (Well as much high speed the Velineon 380 will give me which is 50mph if I'm not mistaken.) Thanks in advance.

RC Qualifier
    You nailed the differences. Just the body, wheels n tires and i think the front bumper foam may be different. All those care have the same gymkhana slicks, except for the rally. It basically comes down to what body you like. even still if you decide you dont like that body you can pick up a diff one, and there are endless options when it comes to wheels n tires. Good luck and look foreward to hearing from you!
    Merry Christmas as well!
    STRC Slash 4x4
    Hobby Hut Raceway, Audubon Pa.

The 380 is actually good for a lot faster than 50.
    There is a member that feeds his motor 4S without blowing it up.

If you are going off road at all, I think the 302 and the Fiesta are out.
    I think the rally can still go off road, but in limited terrain.
    Whatever it is I just typed... could be wrong.

RC Racer
    Wow thanks guys! So Ive seen the rally treads. Im wondering what those tires are good for. And Jimmie how does this guy feed his 380 4S? Different esc im guessing.
    Last edited by arcaptainic; 12-21-2011 at 11:28 PM. Reason: typo

RC Qualifier
    The Rally's tire treads aren't going to do much of anything at all off-road. TBH, they're sketchy at best on pavement, too. The only time I've enjoyed running them is doing long, LiPo-powered drifts on wet pavement.

The right wheels and tires are essential for adapting the car to specific uses; grip on various surfaces, drift on various surfaces, dirt, etc. The stock Fiesta and Mustang tires look like they'd be decent drifters. If you want good pavement grip, you'll have to buy a set regardless of whether you go with the Rally or the others.

Swapping in a set of knobby tires and some longer Slash shocks for additional ground clearance make the car ready for (mild) off-roading if you want to do that, too...

Check out my post here to see how I run my one Rally. (it's a lot, and it's everywhere... even offroad) Clicky...

So, with some spare wheel/tire sets (and a set of Slash shocks) the Fiesta, Rally, or even Mustang will be a reasonably multi-purpose little car...
    Last edited by prototyp; 12-22-2011 at 01:10 AM.
    The prototype project.

All shocks are the same once you remove the limiter inside of them... no need to get a different pair as long as you don't want to swap back and forth without a shock rebuild.

I wish I remembered the name of the guy that runs 4S... but yes, he has a different ESC than stock.
    Whatever it is I just typed... could be wrong.

Quote Originally Posted by Jimmie Neutron View Post
    I wish I remembered the name of the guy that runs 4S... but yes, he has a different ESC than stock.
    I know crusey and fastmachine ran it on 4S. And probably tons more.
    Nobody is born with experience

RC Racer
    I think I'll get the rally. I really enjoy that body for some reason. Is there any cool mods I can do? Is shimming the diffs needed on these little guys? I did it to my mini summit but that thing throws around those huge tires for 1/16. Whats some good drift tires and "off road" tires? By off road I mean as much as you get from this little fella which I assume is gravel and dirt.

RC Qualifier
    Quote Originally Posted by Jimmie Neutron View Post
    All shocks are the same once you remove the limiter inside of them... no need to get a different pair as long as you don't want to swap back and forth without a shock rebuild.
    True, however the limiter, springs (long reds vs whites), valves, even shock juice are all somewhat different. It's 5 mins max to swap shocks vs... I haven't timed how long a shock rebuild is exactly but it's far more than 5 mins. Ten bucks once for a spare set with springs on eBay to have that flexibility is dollars well-spent, IMO.

Haven't needed to shim the diffs (only running 2s @ 31/45).

Drifts... best to try a few out. The super-hard solid ABS or PVC plastic seem to do better on fine-grain concrete, while the somewhat more flexible ones (like HPI T Drifts or even the stock Traxxas ones) handle better on normal asphalt. R2 Hobbies has a bunch of inexpensive variations.

For offroad tires, the favorites tend to be the Tamiya Rally Blocks, or HPI Pirelli. R2 Hobbies has a set of 'performance' touring tires that have super-chunky treads, and they're dirt-cheap. Those are them on the bronze HPI rims in the pic above /\ . They work well:

Even with Slash shocks you've only got an inch or so of ground clearance, so that pretty much defines what the off-road terrain can be. Dirt paths and access roads are ideal. Further off-road adventures here (clicky)
    The prototype project.

RC Racer
    So prototyp, what kind of speed does the 2s give you? Also does the gearing you have (31/45) differ from stock gearing?

RC Racer
    Just got my Rally VXL tonight. I am so excited. I cannot wait to take it out tomorrow and drive. I try and post some picks soon. By the way, whats some decent tires for good pavement grip? If I do high speed runs and I happen to need to hit the brakes quick (oncoming cars etc.) I don't want the car slipping, drifting and crashing.

Quote Originally Posted by arcaptainic View Post
    Just got my Rally VXL tonight. I am so excited. I cannot wait to take it out tomorrow and drive. I try and post some picks soon. By the way, whats some decent tires for good pavement grip? If I do high speed runs and I happen to need to hit the brakes quick (oncoming cars etc.) I don't want the car slipping, drifting and crashing.
    If you dont want it slipping and drifting, you will definately not like the stock tires.
    Nobody is born with experience

RC Qualifier
    Can't go wrong with HPI X Patterns.
    The prototype project.

RC Racer
    Well the Rally is awesome! What a blast. Petertje60, I do like these tires but I have noticed that hitting the brakes hard when trying to stop quick results in a spin out which is cool though. I just am looking for a good set of grippy tires for racing more instead of drifting so I can change it up for fun. I'll check out the HPI X protoyp. Is the rubber compound softer in those HPI X?

RC Racer
    Well I got some new tires today. I decided to grab some softer street tires instead of drift because my rally just about got ran over. I was doing so speed runs on wet pavement with the stock tires (bad idea) and I saw a car a little late and I hit the brakes and slid under and miraculously came out unscathed. I ended up get the stock 1/16 slash wheels. The hobby shop didn't have much in the HPI. There was another brand I've never heard of that looked okay. The slash tires are maybe a 1/16 of an inch larger. But there soft and sticky which was what I was looking for. I ran my Rally for a bit with the new tires in the rain and it griped like a dream. I can't imagine what it will be like on dry pavement.