Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

i get a tryout for a nascar team :)

so for those of you who remember me talking about getting a tryout for this nascar team........... The team manager called me back this morning so january 9th through the 13th i will be doing some little projects and seeing how i do on the pit crew as well so wish me luck!

and in the future you just may see me on tv
    there's no life like a LOW LIFE!
    Drag It!

RC Champion
    Awesome! I actually have already seen you and your t-maxxes on TV though...

???? are you refering to some of my youtube videos im guessing?
    Drag It!

RC Competitor
    Awesome! Good luck.

im nervous but excited at the same time lol. basically that week is going to prove if the 2 1/2 years at college was all worth it or not.
    Drag It!

RC Champion
    Good luck!!!
    Thrash It, Bash it, Break it, No Regrets!!!

RC Qualifier
    Good luck buddy
    Joshua 24:15 Choose this day who ye will serve

RC Qualifier
    Good luck, let us know how it goes! You should race at the Sandusky Speedway sometime, that is our local race track.
    Slash VXL
    Rustler Hobbywing
    Summit 1/16 VXL

i dont race myself...... dont get me wrong i would love to though. i havent been out to sandusky speedway in years though, i need to get back out there but if i get this job i will be anywhere but in sandusky on a friday night lol
    Drag It!

RC Qualifier
    Yeah, in the summertime we go out there a ton. Walking tacos and some root beer and I'm set!
    Slash VXL
    Rustler Hobbywing
    Summit 1/16 VXL

so tomorrow i go in for my week long try out.....................

im so nervous lol

i mean i only spent the last 2 1/2 years of my life to try and reach this acomplishment and get my dream job.

and the worse part is im so excited i probably wont be able to sleep to well either...................

wish me luck
    Drag It!

RC Qualifier
    Good luck , anyone pursuing their dream gets a thumbs up from me.

Sent from my workbench
    Keep the shiny side up!

RC Racer
    good luck post updates
    Martin
    Shaftsburyslingshot21

will do, im all ready now just waiting to leave. hopefully ill get the chance to take some pics
    Drag It!

RC Turnbuckle Jr. thedreadedend's Avatar
    I'm sending all our best wishes with ya from Ma. Just give your best and let god do the rest! You simply can't fail with this philosophy. Oh and I hope you left the trucks behind, lol, not everyone is open minded to a hobbie like ours lol. Some think we just refuse to grow up rather than us enjoying our time our own way.
    I'm not a hatchet man! I'm a maggot!

well......... i made it through the first day successfully

made up some "crash panels" (basically wheel wells) for a truck, did some sandblasting on some other crash panels, helped a little to install a mock up engine in another truck, and watched some pic crew practice so i knew what i had to do. have a few pics and a video of the pit practice so i will post those later. i got some stuff to do right now.

but all i can say is i cant wait for tomorrow
    Drag It!

RC Racer
    will you be the helmet cam guy on like brian keselowski car or something or will you be doing something more important with a winning team?
    Martin
    Shaftsburyslingshot21

RC Champion
    I have a lot of respect for the Nascar crews. They do so much more than the drivers who really cant drive all that well. Its cool that your getting a chance at it.
    Oderint Dum Metuant

i have no clue what i will be doing just yet, dont know if i will be on pit crew or not for sure yet.

but yeah the crews do way more work for sure.

but Thor Sport has 3 teams, one team is for Arca, which is right below the nascar nation wide series, then the other 2 teams are trucks which i believe are the craftsman truck series. and each team has 7-8 cars.

im glad i get a chance at it to. it was the whole reason for 2 1/2 years of college for automotive and high performance.
    Drag It!

The building you see as coming down the road, sign just off right of pic

a little inside picture of it, just part of it though

heres a video of the grand opening of Thor Sports new shop

the video i took is still uploading
    Drag It!

RC Qualifier
    good luck, sounds like a dream job dude!

RC Racer
    sweet im gonna start watching the truck races
    "and the tire changer kenny graves in action on the 13 truck".........
    Martin
    Shaftsburyslingshot21

RC Qualifier
    Thats awesome man! My good friend used to be a fabricator for Geoffrey Bodine. When he left he opened his own shop and I worked with him building muscle cars. What I learned from him is invaluable. This is a good way to get your foot in the door. Hope you do well. Good luck!
    One shot.....One kill, no exceptions

well.................. bad news guys..................

the team manager had me come into the office at the end of the day to talk.................

they were only looking to hire 2 people and they needed people who already had pit crew experience, which........... i dont have...

they dont have time to train anyone right now either so im out. he said that in the last 2 days he seen everything he needed to about me. which i kind of thought that since it was supposed to be all week was a bad thing

he said after talking to the two higher up guys who were watching me and having me do little projects that both had nothing but good things to say in all areas. they said i worked hard, kept busy even when i didnt have anything to really do, and that i was really pleasant to be around. he said that no lye if he didnt need somone who already had the over the wall experience that i would be in. He said he is going to keep my file on hand for if someone leaves, or they start a fourth team in the future. he told me to call him about every 6 months to keep in contact about any positions.

he wants me to try and get on another team if i can and get some pit crew practice as it would greatly help me out to work there in the future. he also said that if i need or want to use him as a reference to get on another team that he would be more than happy to put in a good word for me in a heartbeat.

so with all that said im proud of myself. i was nervous as can be but when push came to shove i proved i had what it takes to be on a full blown NASCAR team, with everything except for the pit crew experience! i seen a life of fast cars/trucks as a career even more now and i cant wait for it to get here!
    Drag It!

RC Turnbuckle Jr. thedreadedend's Avatar
    I'm glad you see it that way, its really a beginning and not an end. Just an end to this weeks experience. Now your hungry and that's just fail for the fire. Like mentioned by op, its still a foot in the door with this particular outcome. Sounds like you got some "great" in store for you with this outlook and positive attitude. Best of luck to you and your future, hard work and well thought choices will always pay of in some manner, we just need to be open to what the "pay off" is because it's nit always what we pictured though equal in its reward.
    I'm not a hatchet man! I'm a maggot!

RC Champion
    So do you need someone to have an "accident"?
    Oderint Dum Metuant

Quote Originally Posted by ReaperGN View Post
    So do you need someone to have an "accident"?
    lol, i couldnt ask for that, im not that kind of person. there all great people there. im young, only 21 so my time will come.

best 2 days of my life though i think lol
    Drag It!

RC Champion
    You could look for work in other racing industries.

Short Coarse
    Baja
    Rock Crawling
    Rally
    Drag Racing
    Mud Bogging
    Hill Climbing
    Touring cars
    Indy cars
    F1 cars
    High end auto makers (Lotus, Panoz, Saleen, Rousch, Hennesy etc...)
    Oderint Dum Metuant

actually already applied to rousch racing when i was getting ready to graduate, only problem is theres really none of that at all around me well besides drag racing, we actually have like the best drag strip in all of ohio about 20-25 minutes away from me.
    Drag It!

RC Champion
    What about offroad shops. I am sure there are some around. And they wouldn't be standard auto mechanic jobs.

Also you might want to start kicking the doors down at the Honda and Acura plants. The NSX is coming back and oddly enough is being made in Ohio. Americans will only get the limp wristed Acura version but it will still be a NSX.

http://www.carmagazine.co.uk/News/Se...ial-pictures-/
    Last edited by ReaperGN; 01-11-2012 at 02:19 AM.
    Oderint Dum Metuant

see if your talking about shops to lift trucks and things of that sort i dont even know where the closest one is its so far away lol, theres almost no hills even around me man, gotta drive about an hour south to south east just to get some hills. probably why there is no off road shops or anything. no high end dealers around me either like porsche, ferari, lamborgini, bmw, none of it lol, its all like an hour away minimum as far as i know. Theres the Thor sport Nascar team (no big tracks though), there a little paved 1/4 mile oval that im not even sure if Arca races on it or if its just the weekend warriors, then theres a dirt track about 30-45 minutes away which is 1/3 mile dirt track, that gets pretty fun there. Then the drag strip not to far away which holds alot of big time events. if nothing else i think i might have to start going to these tracks and getting pit passes and talking to some teams or something.
    Drag It!

RC Qualifier
    You may have to move . Take a trip to moab for the king of the hammers race. Its like nascar but on rocks. Super high performance 4x4 races. I tell my kids all the time to go see what's out there. Travel , find what your looking for. It may never find you.

Sent from my workbench
    Keep the shiny side up!

i would love to travel and find somewhere else but kind of hard to do without super reliable transportation and no money at all.
    Drag It!

RC Qualifier
    I see , no $$ kinda hinders things.. But please do you tube , King of the hammers. Just another high performance avenue.

Sent from my workbench
    Keep the shiny side up!

RC Competitor
    Is this what you are secretly hoping will happen for you one day?

Who wants to go fast?

haha, you know it, i wanna go fast! lol
    Drag It!

ok so its been awhile but heres some new news on the situation. ok about a year ago i had my tryout for thorsport. well i went in today on lunch and the team manager was out at an appointment. so i came back right after work and talked to him for awhile. asked him if he had any positions doing anything even if it was just cleaning the shop lol. he said as of right this moment there trying to figure out what there plans are for next year and that he really didnt have an answer for me today. he told me to come back on the 15th and hopefully he would know by then. well i then also told him i still had my cdl even though i havent droven a truck since i got my cdl.

his exact words to this were "interesting........ come see me next week on Wed".

so heres goes round 2 at trying to get my dream job. the one i have now isnt bad at all, but nowhere near what i want to be doing.
    Drag It!

RC Racer
    Did you go to UTI's NASCAR school? I wanted to do that so bad

RC Racer
    Good luck man. That would be an awesome venture for sure.

RC Champion
    you have a good start, no matter what.
    heck when i was younger, my brother lived in Cambridge, Wisconsin. i stayed at his place one weekend, and he sold a monte carlo to this guy. anyway later on that day i asked him who that dude was. my bro said Matt Kennseth, and he was going to chop off the roof, weld in a roll cage. then weld the roof back on. then race it at a track called jefferson speedway. well we know who that is dont we. here my bro lived 2 blocks from Matt Kennseth. give it your best. peace
    I'm not krazy. My mother had me tested.