RC Turnbuckle Jr.

No, not those tires.... other tires....

Tires are one of my biggest rc expenses. For street duty I've been running some mid grade items off ebay.

If I end up with the XO, I imagine its going to be hard on tires.... so what do?

I could just keep replacing with OEM tires.... or look for aftermarket tires. Of course Traxxas had to make this thing a funny size, so the stock wheels are just a bit taller than standard 8th scale buggy tires.

I'm pretty sure I can still run the smaller wheels, since the ride height can be adjusted on the XO to compensate... though it might look funny.

Proline road rages in buggy size are the tallest road tires I've found that I think will work... but those are a premium tire, and I've scrubbed a set bald in short order with the ERBE.

We need a good value priced aftermarket option. Considering this is a low volume car, I'm not hopeful the aftermarket will rise to the occasion.

PM me if ya wanna bash at Greenwood Bashplex in Pittsburgh PA
    Hopefully for the sake of the people buying these, TRX has made them durable. I am sure, being that they are belted and oddly sized, they will be expensive.
    Wanna bash at Greenwood Bashplex in Pittsburgh ???

RC Turnbuckle Jr.
    Quote Originally Posted by rag6 View Post
    Hopefully for the sake of the people buying these, TRX has made them durable. I am sure, being that they are belted and oddly sized, they will be expensive.
    Yup, I'm betting a new set of pre mounts is going to be 100+

RC Qualifier
    I'm waiting to buy these tires for my ERBE...
    ERBE
    2S-6500-35C
    2S/3S-5000-35C
    2S-5000-45C

RC Qualifier
    not to be totally ingnorant to everyone's feeling but if you can afford the car you should be able to afford the tire . that's like buying a veyron and complaining how much the tires cost . But i also have a positive thing to say as well is look into the sweep belted on road 1/8 scale tires it's for the 1/8 touring class,they are very sticky and work well

RC Competitor
    Quote Originally Posted by ducati777 View Post
    Yup, I'm betting a new set of pre mounts is going to be 100+
    Don't feel bad. My 1/5 scale tires cost $200 a set by the time I buy tires, wheels, foams, and beadlocks. And they aren't even belted tires.

RC Turnbuckle Jr.
    Quote Originally Posted by 4sdash View Post
    not to be totally ingnorant to everyone's feeling but if you can afford the car you should be able to afford the tire .
    Lol, thank you for your financial insight. Just because one can afford the car does not mean one should be expected to pay out the nose for OEM tires.

Its not about the ability to afford, its about being value conscious. As far as value goes, every tire Traxxas has put out up to now has been a terrible value compared to aftermarket options.

Quote Originally Posted by LowFlier View Post
    Don't feel bad. My 1/5 scale tires cost $200 a set by the time I buy tires, wheels, foams, and beadlocks. And they aren't even belted tires.
    Wow... thats spendy. I hope they last a while!

RC Competitor
    They do. That said, I have been wondering if I could adapt these XO-1 tires for my other vehicle. The real belting is attractive.

RC Turnbuckle Jr.
    Quote Originally Posted by LowFlier View Post
    They do. That said, I have been wondering if I could adapt these XO-1 tires for my other vehicle. The real belting is attractive.
    lol, here I'm wondering if 5th scale tires would be an option for the xo-1....

Whats the diameter of those tires? That sneaky site brought out a cheap 5th scaler... I wonder if those wheels might work well...

I just checked HPI Baja street tires... they're really tall.... XO-1 might end up looking like a donk.
    Last edited by ducati777; 12-20-2011 at 03:14 PM.

RC Qualifier
    You probably want 1/6 scale F1 tires. They are just about the same diameter (depending on mfg). I'm not sure on price because they were not from the US.

RC Competitor
    I don't see the diameter of XO-1 tires, but Hostile Racing slicks are about the same size as a Revo tire. That would be wider than 2". You would want the buggy slicks, not the truck slicks, as the latter are large diameter. Probably buggy front slicks all the way around. You would have to adapt the 17mm hex to 24mm and they might be awfully heavy. On the other hand, they are the bees knees on my 5B.

I don't know if these make any sense on an XO-1, but there is the info I have, so you can decide for yourself. You might also look at BRP tires if you really want a non-Traxxas slick as they are less likely to expand at speed (though the Hostiles really won't much anyway).

Good luck and feel free to PM me if I can help further.

RC Turnbuckle Jr.
    Specs section lists XO tires as 4.29 inches...

What are the diameter of the hostile racing slicks?

The proline road rages are 4.25, so we're pretty close with those... but they're expensive and wear quickly, so cost wise its probably no improvement over stock.

RC Competitor
    They are about 170mm (6.7") in diameter and 60mm (2.36") wide (buggy fronts) so not even close I guess. BTW, I'm looking at my Road Rages and the sidewall says 3.32 x 5.48.

RC Racer
    From the Traxxas parts list F/R $52/56 mounted, $40/42 not mounted. They also list a dished wheel option.
    HPI Baja 5B SS
    Traxxas MERV
    Losi Micro DT

RC Competitor
    Anyone know if jaco foams will be made for the x01?

Traxxas tyres in general perform very well..but are expensive and become unglued quite easily...

The road rages wouldn't be a terrible option, the only issue is that they are quite soft and I have seen them ripped off of 1/8th scale Nitro Buggies, so I don't know that they would hold up to anywhere close to 100 or even hold up to much oer 65 for any sustained periods of time.
    Some like R/C's that are fast, others like nitro

RC Racer
    The tires are going to be out of stock quick.

My LHS ordered 20 pairs. I will be sure to get an extra set when they come in.

The price is not too bad.