RC Enthusiast

Two 3s Lipo's in parallel

I just picked up a KB VXL for a smokin deal.... Im wondering if the ESC can handle 2 3s in parallel for twice the run time? Does the stock VXL set up go into thermal easy? I have the series connector to run 2 stock series1 batteries. I just would like some of the advantages the Lipo has with a longer run time. I know it would be 11.1v, so less than the combined voltage of 2 stock batteries, It just seems like I could still get some good speed with the 3s batteries, and extend the run time as well. Im looking at the SPC 1500mah 3s batteries for the 1/16th.

Thanks guys.

RC Turnbuckle Jr. Jimmie Neutron's Avatar
    For 3S you will need to gear it down... how far down depends on a lot of factors, so the best thing is to use a non contact thermometer to adjust accordingly. Keep in mind the longer you run it on 3S the more heat will build up over time. The stock ESC is not known for it's strength.

3S is actually faster than NiMh due to the NiMh's high voltage only lasts for the first few minutes of the run where as LiPo's voltage lasts for nearly the entire run.

I suggest giving 2S a try first... I get consistent 30mph runs without any heat issues in my MERV.
    While 30 may not seem fast, it sure does feel like it in such a small RC.
    Whatever it is I just said... I could be wrong.

RC Enthusiast
    Thanks for your input Jimmie. I dont like NiMh's for that reason. I like constant speeds, not one that gradually slows down. The 2s Lipos should technically be faster than the NiMh's as well I would think... I guess Its going to be some experimenting in the next couple weeks. I just wish all the Lipos I have for my Slash 4X4 would fit. haha.

RC Turnbuckle Jr. Jimmie Neutron's Avatar
    For trials, you could strap a 2S/3S to the lid somehow...
    I have seen YouTube videos of this being done. The LiPo was in a pencil case.

That way you could get an idea of what you want without spending money on something you don't want.
    Whatever it is I just said... I could be wrong.

RC poster
    2 3s lipos in parallel is ridiculous. It is so fast it is completely uncontrollable and stuff gets hot really fast. Just one 3s is still faster than 2 6cell nimh and has more run time. You do still need to gear down to keep it cool.

RC Competitor
    Quote Originally Posted by hammerstien View Post
    2 3s lipos in parallel is ridiculous. It is so fast it is completely uncontrollable and stuff gets hot really fast. Just one 3s is still faster than 2 6cell nimh and has more run time. You do still need to gear down to keep it cool.
    2 3s in parallel is the same speed as one 3s...they just run for (nearly) twice as long. I think you're confusing parallel with series.

RC Enthusiast
    Quote Originally Posted by killboydotcom View Post
    2 3s in parallel is the same speed as one 3s...they just run for (nearly) twice as long. I think you're confusing parallel with series.
    I agree. My BOSS 302 VXL runs the same speeds regardless of one 3s or two 3s in parallel. It is just as uncontrollable either way too. HAHA!
    Stampede VXL - 35/76 3S
    Boss 302 VXL - 31/45 3S

RC poster
    Except the mah is doubled. It accelerates faster thus being harder to control. Voltage does stay constant but amps double.

Looking at runtime and heat issues, the new 2500mAh 2S batteries from SPC are IMO great to feed your stock VXL set with. 3S is faster of course, but to keep the VXL set within acceptable temp ranges can be a pain. You can always get some 3S ones if you want crazy speed.
    Nobody is born with experience.

RC Champion
    Quote Originally Posted by hammerstien View Post
    Except the mah is doubled. It accelerates faster thus being harder to control. Voltage does stay constant but amps double.

Not quire right mate, Available amps doubles

Motor still only draws what it needs, batteries dont push out amps

Unless your single pack is below spec you will only notice a slight improvement in top speed due to the parallel packs holding a slightly higher voltage under load

Cheers
    Slash Platinum
    Xerun 150 / Tenshock SC401 3500kv

RC Qualifier
    I have the new 2s SPC batteries, and let me just say they make my boss a rocket, i think w/ 3s your gonna need a big spare parts bin! LOL j/k but i do think 2 2s batteries will suit your needs, maybe pick-up 1 3s for some added fun?
    STRC Slash 4x4
    Hobby Hut Raceway, Audubon Pa.