RC Enthusiast

What motor an esc do I need

I have a fiesta brushed I want to make it brushless but I don't want to use the traxxas Vxl system I want a castle Creations motor an esc combo that would fit with little to no modification. Does anyone know of one that would work
    Last edited by gwaz331; 12-11-2011 at 06:34 PM.
    Fiesta brushed.

RC Competitor
    http://castlecreations.com/products/...micro_pro.html
    These are intended for 1/18th scale but will work with the Fiesta but you will need the motor mount from a VXL. You could go to one of these but you will need to make sure you have some good batteries to handle the power that that system can pull. That will make it a totally new beast to drive!

RC Qualifier
    Fist off, the Micro pro is not intended for any of the 1/16 scale and there are tons of topics here that can back it up. I wouldn't get anything less than the SV2 in the Castle line up.
    XO-1|SlashUE-MMM2200|Rally-SV2&MERV-MMP w/NEU1112

RC Enthusiast
    How much trouble would it be to modify it for the sv2
    Fiesta brushed.

RC Turnbuckle Jr. Jimmie Neutron's Avatar
    Please...

DO NOT use a 1/18 system in your 1/16th...

IT WILL FAIL.
    Whatever it is I just said... I could be wrong.

RC Qualifier
    You can use a bigger system in a smaller truck, but not a smaller system in a bigger truck.

RC Enthusiast
    I have no intent of using something that wont work in my fiesta. that's why I posted on here. I just want to find a nice alternative esc to the traxxas vxl system because i've heard how easy it is to over heat the esc. I want something with power just don't want to cut up my frame to make it fit
    Fiesta brushed.

Are you 100% stuck on Castle?

BTW:
    Those that have cut it was by choice, not necessity.

There is a decent set that will give you stock 380 brushless power available on a site that we cannot mention.

RC Competitor
    I must not be too tough on my mini stuff, never cooked an 1/18th Castle system or over-heated my VXL ESC

Honestly, for what you can find a mini Velineon motor for on eBay that's the motor I'd go for. On 2s the power is very manageable and usable, 3s is nuts but with some finesse it works great, and 4s is psychotic. Pair that up with the SV2 or Mamba Max Pro and you should be good to go. If you do this you will need a new motor mount as the brushed motor is a bigger motor. If you run one of the motors from the SV2 combo they will bolt right up but they're tougher on batteries and will raise your CoG. The SV2 motors will not run as hot as the mini Velineon though, it's up to you.

EDIT: I have the STRC aluminum motor mount and a heatsink on my motor with some thermal compound just for good measure and my ESC and motor both make it through ~40 minutes of indoor racing just fine in a Mini Revo which is heavier and more demanding on the motor than a Fiesta. Indoor temps get up around 90 even this time of year and very humid from wetting down the track. Just my personal input, I'm 100% content with the factory motor--you can pair it with whatever ESC you want as long as it can handle ~50 amps continuous without a problem.
    Last edited by unsulliedspy; 12-11-2011 at 09:14 PM.

RC Enthusiast
    If you would pm the site i'd like to take a look at it and thank you for the information guys
    Fiesta brushed.

RC Enthusiast
    Quote Originally Posted by unsulliedspy View Post
    I must not be too tough on my mini stuff, never cooked an 1/18th Castle system or over-heated my VXL ESC

Honestly, for what you can find a mini Velineon motor for on eBay that's the motor I'd go for. On 2s the power is very manageable and usable, 3s is nuts but with some finesse it works great, and 4s is psychotic. Pair that up with the SV2 or Mamba Max Pro and you should be good to go. If you do this you will need a new motor mount as the brushed motor is a bigger motor. If you run one of the motors from the SV2 combo they will bolt right up but they're tougher on batteries and will raise your CoG. The SV2 motors will not run as hot as the mini Velineon though, it's up to you.

EDIT: I have the STRC aluminum motor mount and a heatsink on my motor with some thermal compound just for good measure and my ESC and motor both make it through ~40 minutes of indoor racing just fine in a Mini Revo which is heavier and more demanding on the motor than a Fiesta. Indoor temps get up around 90 even this time of year and very humid from wetting down the track. Just my personal input, I'm 100% content with the factory motor--you can pair it with whatever ESC you want as long as it can handle ~50 amps continuous without a problem.
    If i was to use the traxxas vxl motor what esc could you recommend for it i and what motor mount do i have to have for the 380 motor
    Fiesta brushed.

RC Competitor
    Quote Originally Posted by gwaz331 View Post
    If i was to use the traxxas vxl motor what esc could you recommend for it i and what motor mount do i have to have for the 380 motor
    The Sv2 can be bought somewhere in the neighborhood of $70 online and is made to handle 1/10th scale RCs, it should have no issue handling your Fiesta.

I'm not familiar with the brushed motor mount on the Fiesta so I'm not the best qualified to tell you which one to run, but if it works the way it does in my head then a regular 380 mount (such as the stock one, STRC one like I've got, or any other brand) should slide onto the mounting pin then screw right in. If that's the case I may have my stock mount around here somewhere, you could have it.

EDIT: Found my stock VXL one:

If it helps, you can have it. It's cheap cast aluminum so it doesn't soak up as much heat as a milled piece but hey, it's free
    Last edited by unsulliedspy; 12-11-2011 at 09:53 PM.

RC Enthusiast
    Thank you guys for all your help i think that I'm going to go the 380 that comes in the brushless an the sv2 i mean i can pick the 380 up for about 30 from this site i'm not sure if i can name but. What type of gearing should i run with that setup
    Fiesta brushed.

RC Competitor
    What voltage do you intend to run it on?

RC Enthusiast
    thanks I'm gonna go with an aftermarket mount i want to make sure I'm removing as much heat as possible but thanks you for the offer

Quote Originally Posted by unsulliedspy View Post
    What voltage do you intend to run it on?
    To start off just two of the stock batteries eventually when i get the money for the charger for them i want to run lipos
    Last edited by cooleocool; 12-20-2011 at 04:28 PM. Reason: Post merge.
    Fiesta brushed.

RC Competitor
    28/45 is stock gearing for use with your 6 cell NiMHs or 2s lipo (I think). I keep my MERV at stock gearing on 2s and I'm pleased with the balance of speed, heat, and run time it gives. You can tinker with it from there however you like. Definitely get 2s as soon as you can, you won't believe the difference!

This is my setup, haven't seen the temps hit over 160 even after long runs
    Last edited by unsulliedspy; 12-11-2011 at 10:15 PM. Reason: correction

RC Enthusiast
    I think until I get some more experience I'm sticking with the stock vxl an a fan for the esc
    Fiesta brushed.

RC Competitor
    Can't hurt, IMO the stock setup is pretty good. There's a bunch of them on eBay for pretty cheap. I've been looking around trying to find good gear ratios for you but there doesn't seem to be much to go by so far (or I just really need to go to bed, either way). Stock ESC will get a bit hot, especially thrashing it on 3s, but if you don't have any binding in your drivetrain and your mesh isn't too tight IMO it works fine. A fan will definitely keep you in the running though. How do you usually drive it?

Here is what you will need to convert to a 380 motor from your 550:
    7077 Gear cover/Hardware
    7090 Motor Plate
    7060 Motor Mount

RC Enthusiast
    So after researching the cost of the swap i'm Just going to pick up a vxl slash and swap out the motors and radio control. That way i save money and add a new truck to my collection
    Fiesta brushed.

Did you check eBay prices?

RC Enthusiast
    Yeah and because I'm also doing the transmitter too it's cheaper to get a vxl 1/16
    Fiesta brushed.

Yeah, the LINK probably pushed it over the edge... lol.

You'll have fun with both, I'm sure.

RC Enthusiast
    yeah had to have the link i'm sick of 8 batteries that drain fast as could be
    Fiesta brushed.