Page 4 of 5 FirstFirst ... 2345 LastLast
    RC Qualifier
    If it was affordable to make the diffs, remember the brushless revo forum - Diffs are the weakest point by far in that drivetrain.

RC Qualifier
    That's why I want to invest in heavy duty gears

RC Champion
    wahoo 100mph summit lol

RC Qualifier
    nope, that's absolutely not my objective, the target is around 30-35mph, not more, and without compromising the low speed performance of the truck. As a proof of that, I have 11/13/14/15T pinions and 68/65/60 spurs ''only'', I mean I'm not planning to reach crazy top speed, but I'm planning to stress the diffs and driveshafts a lot when crawling with a high torque motor and servo.

RC Champion
    i hear you there scaniris but ya making the summit more capable .also being able to be a crawler and have a good amount of speed with no wories

i bought the diffs off mikey and i see it being cheaper buying the new diff upgrades than to convert to revo diffs

RC Qualifier
    I was just browsing around and stumbled upon this and thought of you.. I would love to hear your reports on these..

http://www.bocabearings.com/bearing-...-1/10-electric
    custom summit crawler parts lol

RC Qualifier
    I hope Im wrong, but they are 574 dollars each!
    This is a signature.

RC Qualifier
    Quote Originally Posted by snowslider View Post
    I hope Im wrong, but they are 574 dollars each!
    I know isn't that insane!

No u are not wrong I bought Inner and outer wheel bearings and inner and outer pinion bearings and a couple for the trans.$60
    Sealed ceramics they are working awesome

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    Last edited by jamann; 01-25-2012 at 05:11 PM.
    Mountains cant stop me
    they have tried

RC Qualifier
    Hi Scaniris, when you bolted on the summit bottom skid plate did you strike any problems with the strength of the spacer bolts? As when I was tightening one the thread snapped off in the chassis and I tell ya I want impressed. Plus my skid plate was not level either.

Hello my name is Matt and addicted to Traxxas.

RC Qualifier
    Hi,

About Bocabearing.... buying the full kit is IMO a crazy thing. Maybe for some bearings... but of course not for all of them! I chose the Kanzen kit, around 60, and if some bearings break, I'll probably buy some Boca, but NOT the Ceramic Orange Seal Abec 7 Off road... why would I need such a low tolerance for a truck like the Summit? No... I'll probably hesitate between the Green sealed standard and the Yellow sealed ceramic. I think that Jamann's way of doing sound very relevant. Inner and outer wheel bearings, inner and outer pinion bearings and trany bearings.

Then: I removed the diagram from the post number 119, because I made a newer version, to summarize what I'll upgrade into the differentials:

It's done, I've ordered by Truckmonster 2x additional aluminium diff cups to built two additional aluminium diffs (already have 2 as you know), but that time... with hand made hardened steel gears It will take 4-5 weeks to make them, and 2-4 weeks for hardening. It is not molded of course, but hand made, milled from high quality steel, and hardened professionally.

So in 6 to 9 weeks, I'll be able to see if there is any benefit of buying expensive hand made hardened steel gears over having ''only'' aluminium diff cups with molded iron original Traxxas gears.

Of course I'll give my feed back with photos and videos. Be aware that the gears are built to order and not standard parts. And I don't know if the return of investment is as good as for the aluminium diff cups. Not many reports of broken gears with aluminium diff cups... lots of reports of broken gears with stock plastic cups (also because only few people have aluminium diff cups... of course).

RC Qualifier
    Quote Originally Posted by mattbaillie22 View Post
    Hi Scaniris, when you bolted on the summit bottom skid plate did you strike any problems with the strength of the spacer bolts? As when I was tightening one the thread snapped off in the chassis and I tell ya I want impressed. Plus my skid plate was not level either.

Hello my name is Matt and addicted to Traxxas.
    Did you saw that: http://traxxas.com/forums/showthread...=1#post4994980 ?

Because LaTufu and another guy reported the weakness of the aluminium spacers, I decided to buy some steel spacers in a local hardware store, and longer screws to fix the skid plate on the chassis with heavy duty parts, and avoid the same problem as LaTufu described with a photography.

RC Competitor
    $575! For bearings? Holy crap.

Maybe the mars rover needs a whole set of those babies, I just replaced the few that seemed to me,in my situation,the ones that I had issues with. It was still pricey. Haven't had any issues with wheel bearings for some time now.or pinion bearings.

Mountains cant stop me
    they have tried

RC Competitor
    Anyone try Acer ceramic bearings? They are about $89.99.

RC Racer
    I ordered this kit for about $100 and bought some bearing oil lube too:
    CTR020 - Traxxas Summit Ceramic Bearing Kit (Acer Racing)

The look cool, bought a stainless screw set as well from rcscrewz.

Both haven't see more of the world than my garage but they feel better

RC Qualifier
    I'm very disappointed with the stainless rcscrewz. Real stainless is not magnetic.. And they strip fairly easy.
    My next solution is Lunsford titanium screws.

RC Qualifier
    Into one of my videos, I said I was also disappointed with RCScrews because of missing screws (lot of screws are missing, this is not a complete set for Summit, what they say is not true) and also because of the packaging. The Tony's Screws are superior into my opinion, small plastic packets with description of screws (size and type), it's so easy to find the screw you need!

RC Competitor
    Stainless steel is magnetic. It just depends on the type and how much nickel it has in it. Those screws were probably made of 300 series stainless which is food and medical grade and is softer then say 400 series. The good thing about 300 is that it is very rust resistant. And yes stainless steel can rust.
    I really should be working.

RC Qualifier
    Sorry I've worked at a scrap yard for a while and have just come acustomed to calling the quality stuff real stainless..

Yea the rcscrewz didn't have all the screws and had screws you don't need oh and the lengths arnt precise.
    I'll have to try Tonys Screws.

RC Champion
    about the stailess steel it isn't saposed to rust. i have got screws from spanure(i think its the companie) but when i got them i ordered sockect head wich is a hex size bigger than the stock button head and so far no stripping

RC Qualifier
    About screws kits. I ordered a kit from hexcrews.com (shhh... don't tell it was for my savage) and their kit was very good. All 12.9 grade hardware and they also have stainless screws that they label as armor plated.

Quote Originally Posted by b@3 View Post
    About screws kits. I ordered a kit from hexcrews.com (shhh... don't tell it was for my savage) and their kit was very good. All 12.9 grade hardware and they also have stainless screws that they label as armor plated.
    Their Hexheads A.P. screws are hardened. I don't believe you can do that with "stainless steel." Aren't the A.P.s simply coated, hardened alloy steel?
    If I needed screws, I'd either get them from Tony's or the above from hexcrews.
    Last edited by ksb51rl; 01-27-2012 at 04:16 PM.
    Alt-248 on the number pad =

I have a set of tony's screws or as the stickers say "i got screwed by tony's screws "love that makes me smile every time.
    happy with them? yes would i buy them again? yes.I read a bunch of reports of people not being satisfied with rcscrewz.I have never used them so i can't say for sure.When i read that many negetives about something...Thats a sign to me
    Maybe they should use tony's slogan....I try to do research on the products im looking at...It's your responsibility.It is your hard earned money you are spending.
    Mountains cant stop me
    they have tried

RC Enthusiast
    Anybody know if we can get the HPP 17mm upgrade here in the USA? I would like to buy a set, but only find them on HPP's site.

Tim

RC Racer
    Any updates?

Sent from my DROIDX using Tapatalk

RC Qualifier
    Im pretty sure those standoffs are made of butter. one of mine snapped, im just runnin with three standoffs, that delrin is hard so it doesn't flop being minus one, for now.
    PM me for help converting your Summit to brushless

RC Qualifier
    did you get lost driving your summit?

RC Qualifier
    Seems like the summit was a quick phase.. Or jail.. I hope everything is ok, we're all waiting to see your finished product..

RC Qualifier
    Quote Originally Posted by summitcrawler View Post
    Seems like the summit was a quick phase.. Or jail.. I hope everything is ok, we're all waiting to see your finished product..
    Maybe he is on a vecation? He should have brought his Summit and a laptop though...
    This is a signature.

RC Qualifier
    Quote Originally Posted by snowslider View Post
    Maybe he is on a vecation? He should have brought his Summit and a laptop though...
    thats what i figured.. i dont leave my summit behind on vacation.. thats cruel. lol i saw on his page that he was on here yesterday or the day before.. so i dont know whats up..

RC Qualifier
    Amazing thread for anyone planning to get a Summit or that already has one, awesome man.

About the painting, all you 'need' is some Frogtape and that Bob Dively film. I only used the Frogtape on my first paintjob, and just regular masking tape for anything that didn't need a perfect seal (as it's cheaper, but I paint right now for a living so I get the stuff free off my worktruck ). There are also masking kits for things like flames and other stencil type designs so you can do it yourself.

Thanks again for putting all the time and effort into this, I know if I do end up choosing the Summit this thread will be a humongous help.
    P2de VXL - Summit

RC Qualifier
    i used frog tape.. it works really well.. and i used blue scotch tape for different layers.. all you need is a knife, tape and patience.

RC Qualifier
    Sorry for the silence, I'm very busy since some weeks but I'll be back soon with new feed backs and video. I played with my Modified Summit and I have a lot to say

RC Champion
    yes yes yes

RC Qualifier
    yay!!!!!!!!!

RC Racer
    Cool I can't wait!!

Sent from my DROIDX using Tapatalk

RC Qualifier
    Tonys is about $10 cheaper than Hex, do you think there's enough of a difference to go for the more expensive set? I know you get what you pay for (learned my lesson with dynamite set for my p2de) but there's also a line of quality/value that one needn't cross unnecessarily.
    P2de VXL - Summit

RC Qualifier
    I'm so glad to hear from ya! Keep it up!
    This is a signature.

RC Competitor
    This thread should be required reading for all Summit owners, lol. But really. Thank you for all the excellent information containded in this thread. I can't wait to start doing some of this to mine. A+