Page 1 of 5 123 ... LastLast
    RC Qualifier

Lightbulb Scaniris Summit upgrade project - video + photo + experience report

Hi Traxxas community,

Here's a quick video presentation of my Summit upgrade program. I'll probably publish a second, more structured, with the agenda of the videos to come, but I wanted to finally launch this, at this stage since I received about 80% of the parts I expected. I'll be able to start upgrades & mods, testing, and share that with you with photo, video and text. I will certainly need your help/advise for some points, and I hope this topic will be interactive.

Here is a draft list of the subjects to be discussed :_

- lipo batteries (Traxxas, SPC), chargers, lva, capacity checker, cabling, maintenance, installation, protection, storage, etc...
    - suspension upgrade and tuning (shocks : springs, oil, variable damping kit, rocker arms, a-arms, ...)
    - aluminium parts (steering blocks, shock towers, steering arm, servo saver, push rods, toe links, differential case, etc...)
    - outwears products (pre filter, shock,...)
    - rims and tires (beadlock, Proline, RC4WD, stock tires,...)
    - spare parts, screws, accessories
    - transmission tuning (pinion, grease, oil, etc...)
    - driveline components (MIP cvd 9168, ...)
    - differentials tuning (aluminium)
    - skid plates (T Bone, etc...)
    - grease and oils and maintenance tools and products
    - body customization
    - steering servo upgrade (hitech 7950th, aluminium horn, link, saver,...)
    - motor maintenance
    - plasti dip (found this product in Germany, I bought one bottle to try it) but also solutions to protect batteries from water...

What? Why? Why not? How? Result? ROI? And more

I want to share my impressions and receive from your side advise and help of course. I'm here to share and to learn.

Best regards,
    Cyril

Somebody has the RC bug...lol there is no known cure.

plasti dip (found this product in Germany, I bought one bottle to try it) but also solutions to protect batteries from water...

balloon or man sock..
    Would you go flip my truck back over??

RC Qualifier
    Quote Originally Posted by 87 GN View Post
    Somebody has the RC bug...lol there is no known cure.
    Yes... I think so ^^ You are one of the responsible of this RC bug you know

Quote Originally Posted by 87 GN View Post
    balloon or man sock..
    Also for the Steering Servo? Have the same as yours (of course... I bought exactly what you bought ^^) , I don't figure out how to put this servo into a man sock. Then... I don't know if there are some non lubricated man socks ?? I only know the lubricated version... well I'm married since too many years maybe

We did have a few PM's (lol).. For the servo they are for the most part water resistant. Might just need a little Silicone, or plasti dip to seal it up.

Will be fun to watch...

RC Qualifier
    I found a video about using pasti dip to seal the Hitech servo. That's why I was planning to use plasti dip. I'll make a test on something else before

RC Qualifier
    New video: about batteries

RC Qualifier
    Battery charger - part 1

RC Qualifier
    Battery charger - part 2

RC Qualifier
    Question: for Servo waterproofing, should I use Plasti Dip or Liquid Tape?

RC Competitor
    I would use the spray plastidip. I feel it is more controllable and you should not need a thick coat.

RC Qualifier
    Thank you Bladerunnerx.

RC Qualifier
    Another question: for a Tekin RX8 + T8 conversion, could you confirm that my shopping list is complete?

- 1x TT2320 Tekin bundle (RX8 ESC + T8 2250KV truggy motor)
    - 1x TT1450 Tekin Hotwire Esc programmer
    - 3x Silicon wire 12G (black + red + gray)
    - 1x TRX-3063 Wire Harness - Series Battery Connection (to connect 2x Lipo 2S to the RX8)
    - 1x Traxxas male high power connector (to connect the serial batterie cable to the ESC)

Questions:

12 or 14 AWG?
    Something missing?
    Connection:

2x 2S Lipo connected with a serial cable to the ESC. 2 wires between the ESC and the serial cable from the batteries. And 3 wires between the ESC and the motor. + the sensor cable from the motor to the ESC.

Finally I have to solder only on the ESC or also on the motor?

Thanks for your help. I do not plan this upgrade immediately except if we dont have any snow here before Xmas.

RC Qualifier
    The series harness that you listed is for the 1/16 models, the wires are a smaller gauge.

RC Qualifier
    Ok so what do I need to connect the 2 batteries to the RX8 ESC? I did not found any ''cook book'' with details about how to install this Tekin Bundle.

RC Qualifier
    New video, with less talk (sorry for my english...) and more content:

Overview of the upgrade and spare parts I bought for my Summit thanks to recommendations of people on the Traxxas forum

An overview of the parts I ordered for my Summit on the basis of advice given on the forum. This video is an overview of the upgrades that will follow, I will make some video (in particular for differential aluminum) and photo.

RC Qualifier
    First upgrade: TBR Full Chassis skid plate.

Unboxing video:

Installation video:

RC Qualifier
    I can't watch your videos, because they are private...
    This is a signature.

RC Qualifier
    The 4 videos on top of this thread are badly a little bit boring... And my english is not very good, I've received a comment about that. So I've decided to change the video status to private. But the 3 latest videos are public. I tried to speak a little bi better, and to have a more interesting content (I hope).

[EDIT for the 4 first videos, I changed the status from Private to Not Listed. You should have access now. But be aware that the content is maybe not very interesting. It was the first time I was uploading video on youtube.... And in English language, it's pretty difficult to say everything I want. But as I want to share on this forum... I have to speak english. I make the most effort possible, please help me to improve with comments
    Last edited by Scaniris; 12-23-2011 at 06:19 AM.

RC Qualifier
    I'll add a video about the oils, greases, cleaning sprays etc... And another one about tires and rims. As an introduction.

RC Qualifier
    My English is horrible, so I can't say anything

Edit: Now I can watch it! Awesome!!!
    This is a signature.

Somebody has fall'n off the RC wagon. < It's a funny meaning you are now Addicted to RC...
    I have recored every part, every truck I have paid for in the last two years. I have been adding it up & if momma know the totals, O'Boy, I'd have to buy her another new car.. hehe

Have you tested the skids yet..

I have to speak english. I make the most effort possible,
    Good to see you are enjoying the hobby. Pep opinions are like belly~buttons most pep have one. Don't mean you want to see it..
    Last edited by 87 GN; 12-23-2011 at 08:10 AM. Reason: speallerying

RC Qualifier
    Honestly, your English and your accent are better than some people living near me that have spoken it all their lives.
    ERBE, Summit, Thunder Tiger MT4

RC Qualifier
    Hello,

Looks like ... yes 87GN It is also thanks to your contribution to this forum I could find tons of useful and interesting information. Thank you, I try now to share with you my ''first steps'' in rc modding, I hope it will be useful for some.

I havn't had time to test the skid plate today, I spent my afternoon shopping for Christmas Eve to avoid to do it the last day with everyone ^ ^ I'll give feed back asap.

RC Qualifier
    New videos about Lipo batteries:

Traxxas 7600mAh 2S 7,4V

SPC 8200mAh 2S 7,4V

RC Qualifier
    Running video anytime soon?
    This is a signature.

RC Qualifier
    I make videos to illustrate my approach to upgrade the Summit as a beginner (this is very important to remember). Rather than explain in writing (that would be difficult and time consuming for me). But I don't think I'll make videos while driving the Summit outside (Was it the purpose of your question? I'm not sure I understood).

I do not have the talent to do something good, I should be assisted, I'm not a big fan of making video, the photography is my main hobby and it would be difficult to take photos while driving the Summit

So the next video planned (tomorrow):

- HPP 17mm hex hub: unboxing and installation
    - Aluminium diff cup: assembling, filing the I Bar, etc...

Then later this week:

- mouting Trencher 40 series tires on Axial oversized narrow beadlock rims (I'm very unsatisfied with the foam I received with the Trenchers, you'll see why, and I've ordered by a-main a set of upgrade foams, I hope to receive it this week) - modding the foam inserts with a cutter (easier and quicker than with scissors)

I have so many upgrade to do that I can not give a complete program. MIP CVD transmission, motor upgrade, shocks fine tuning, aluminium parts upgrades, a-arm skids, etc...

I'm also considering to buy some Maxamp batteries. The 9000mAh 2S Lipo. Because Maxamps claims that they are waterproof, and the 9000mAh XL seems to fit into the Summit Dattery trays (Maxamps 9000XL : 162x45x26mm) But as the SPC, the cable comes out the side of the top of the battery, not the middle like the Traxxas, which implies a more difficult installation. I'm using man socks as suggested on the forum to protect batteries from water. So... I don't know what I'll do finally.

RC Qualifier
    Yes that was my question.

Maxamps also claims a "true" 150c discharge rate on some of their LiPos too...
    This is a signature.

RC Competitor
    scaniris, you are doing a great job and your english is fine, you have an accent but so what! as for the videos i think it will end up being a huge contribution as i have bought many parts and regreted it later. IF there was info, like what your providing, availible (video) so i could get an idea of what its like on the truck before paying for it then i would be alot richer. keep up the good work and i will be looking forward to see the results of some of your test on stuff i havent upgraded yet and am not sure if its worth it, now i will be able to watch the video and decide if i want it or the money would be best spent elswhere!

p.s
    I think your in for a BIG plesent suprise when you upgrade to the tekin
    Last edited by SacramentoTraxxasLover; 12-27-2011 at 11:30 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by Scaniris View Post

I'm also considering to buy some Maxamp batteries. The 9000mAh 2S Lipo. Because Maxamps claims that they are waterproof, and the 9000mAh XL seems to fit into the Summit Dattery trays (Maxamps 9000XL : 162x45x26mm) But as the SPC, the cable comes out the side of the top of the battery, not the middle like the Traxxas, which implies a more difficult installation. I'm using man socks as suggested on the forum to protect batteries from water. So... I don't know what I'll do finally.
    Quote Originally Posted by snowslider View Post
    Yes that was my question.

Maxamps also claims a "true" 150c discharge rate on some of their LiPos too...
    No.. NO.. & No again... ^ there "true" 150c discharge is for less than a second... There are reasons they did not make the list of batts that fit...... leave it at that......

Batt companys are making smaller batts but in a higher mAh. So until the batt compartment gets bigger we will have to talk nice to out big mAh batt, & tell the to go to thier little homes........haha..
    Last edited by 87 GN; 12-27-2011 at 12:22 PM.

RC Qualifier
    Just saying I don't trust Maxamps...
    This is a signature.

RC Qualifier
    Hi,

I received help on the website of Maxamps and you can actually find all the compatible batteries by brand and by model.You have to select into the menu on the left top corner ''Packs by Brand'', then you select ''Traxxas'', then ''Summit'' and you will display as a result ALL the battery packs that fit in the Summit.

Excerpt from the description of the 9000mAh 2s 100C Lipo:

The ultimate run time upgrade for your Traxxas Summit. This is for 1 pair of our new 9000XL 7.4V lipo packs. One left side and one right side custom wired to fit the Summit battery compartment. These packs will work perfectly with both a stock and upgraded Summit with no modifications required.
    It's not only fitting, it's also wired to ease the installation. One for the right battery tray, the other for the left battery tray. To avoid the same situation I had with the SPC 8200 packs (video)

They also offer the ''Lifetime warranty'' like Traxxas does:

Lifetime Warranty
    During the first year of ownership, MaxAmps will replace any LiPo or LiFe battery found to be defective at no cost. After one year, any MaxAmps LiPo or LiFe battery in any condition can be exchanged for a new equivalent battery for just 50% of the new pack's list price, no questions asked.
    But... this is really more expensive than Traxxas. And 100C for the 9000mAh pack... peak probably, but is it really useful??? Hum.... not really convinced of the usefulness.

For the price of 1x Maxamps 9000mAh XL 2S Lipo, I can get a pair of Traxxas 7600mAh 2S. I already know the Traxxas, and I'm very satisfied...

Waterproofing? Man socks (copyright 87GN ^^). Works pretty good, I had a 1 hour fun this afternoon with my Summit under the rain. My batteries were absolutely not wet.

I don't have the necessary perspective on the Maxamps batteries, no information about the reputation, etc ... this a brand that, like SPC, is not distributed in Europe through the usual channels. I understand through some of the opinions above that price is not necessarily justified .... you confirm?

And thank you for your support. One of my goals by sharing my findings of beginner through videos, is also to prevent others to make mistakes because I am sure that among all that I purchased, some things are absolutely useless . Many spare parts to repair damage resulting from a crash, base on forum feed back about most often broken parts. But it's maybe too much. We'll see I'm not trying to be right at all costs or justify every penny, if I did something stupid, I will assume no problem!

RC Qualifier
    Many people on this forum says that Maxamps is far overpriced. I'm one of them. You don't need a 100c 9000mAh battery in the Summit. You get more than enough amps from the Traxxas/SPC lipos. As you say your self: "Man socks" works pretty good for waterproofing! The wire part is pretty cool tough.

Edit: After one year they would cost the same as the Traxxas LiPos...
    This is a signature.

RC Qualifier
    If I buy a pair of Maxamps 9000XL 2S Lipos, the final price will be around ... 470 USD!! 313 USD for the batteries, 45USD for shipping and... 35% customs duty.... Too expensive IMO for a purchase from the European Union. 235USD per battery.... no no no. I didn't take into account the customs duty.

Well I have some choices:
    - buy a second pair of Traxxas 7600
    - try the Orion carbon 7000mAh XX

I am no longer interested in buying SPC or SMC, and if I'm looking for a high mAh value... I don't have many other choices than Traxxas, Orion, Maxamps, SPC and SMC. Right? Venom = no go (I don't want to deal with some ''universal'' connectors...)

I know that hardcase is not necessary into a Summit but I like the fitting:

But on the field, I'd have to remove and replace the foam, pressure srping and battery older when changing the battery from Traxxas to Orion or Orion to Traxxas...
    Last edited by Scaniris; 12-28-2011 at 11:18 AM.

PM ^ Some reading material for you ....

RC Qualifier
    You can also buy some *****s. Quality is good( According to this forum) They are also dirt cheap, you can get a 2s 8000mAh 30c for around 30 dollars, I dunno about shipping...
    This is a signature.

I am running a set of 5000mah 40c *****s work great also a set of gens ace 5200 30c (capable of 5c charge rate!!!!!not by me)and a set of ******* hard case 5000 30c all work perfect no issues.climbing mountainous terrain I need to stop and rest so I change batts and let the truck rest. At all slow low speed climbing with the odd burst I'm getting a hour to hour and a half per set with the mmp and dewalt. Brushless should be even better I would think ...more options.... Sorry.some places now charge shipping by how many mah are being shipped

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    Mountains cant stop me
    they have tried

RC Qualifier
    Thank you 87GN

@ snowslider: I'll have a look on the *****s, thank you for the information.

RC Qualifier
    Thank you Jamann. 5C charging? Not by me too ^^ 5000mAh is a bit short for me, I'd rather like to buy some 7000+ Lipos for the Summit.

RC Qualifier
    You're welcome As long as I can help, I'm happy!
    This is a signature.

Seriously...... 900 amp discharge.just in case you need to do some trailside welding?even if I believed that....
    I need to see pics of what your running that needs that kind of discharge

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    Mountains cant stop me
    they have tried