Thread: Storing Lipos

RC poster

Storing Lipos

I am storing my lipos for the winter and wanted to make sure I am doing it right.
    I got 2 traxxas 5000mah, 11.1V, 3S. Just wondering if a voltage of 3.8v is good.
    Also when charging I have read I should charge at 1-2 C. Is that right or can I go
    up to 5C? My final voltage should be 4.2v per call, right? And also one final question,
    I read somewhere it is good to store lipos in fridge over winter while not using, does that sound
    right. thanks.

Quote Originally Posted by bosco36 View Post
    I am storing my lipos for the winter and wanted to make sure I am doing it right.
    I got 2 traxxas 5000mah, 11.1V, 3S. Just wondering if a voltage of 3.8v is good. Yes 3.85 ish
    Also when charging I have read I should charge at 1-2 C. Is that right or can I go
    up to 5C? You can charge at a higher C rate if the batt says you can. BUT you will shorten the life of the batteries. In time as batts get even better & a 2C will be the normMy final voltage should be 4.2v per cell,YES right? And also one final question,
    I read somewhere it is good to store lipos in fridge over winter while not using, does that sound
    right. JMHO no it will draw moisturethanks.
    You need (have) to check the batts every couple weeks. See if the need a little charge to get back up to storage volts
    Would you go flip my truck back over??

RC Champion
    On your 5000mah batteries 1c charging is 5 amps. 5c is 25 amps!

Always follow manufacturer battery specs.

Store at 3.85v per cell and monitor every couple of weeks.

Storage :

Never keep the Batteries connected and stored in your RC vehicle. Even if the switch is off there will be some current being drawn from the pack which can or will result in over discharge.

NEVER KEEP YOUR PACK FULLY CHARGED FOR MORE THAN 2 DAYS. Packs shouldn't be stored higher than 3.8V per cell and lower than 3.4V per cell. Doing so will increase chances of issues and reduce cycle life. 2 cell pack = 6.8V-7.6V, 3 cell pack = 10.2V-11.4V , 4 cell pack = 13.6V-15.2V. Store in a room that is dry and at normal room temperature.

For long term storage, cycle/use the packs every 6 weeks. This will keep the chemicals active and reduce chances of issues due to the chemicals being inactive. You can fully charge the pack then discharge it down to the recommended voltage and store it in a room that is dry and at room temperature.
    Not from Traxxas, but good advice nevertheless.

Store batteries in a cool, dry place. Not in a refrigerator.
    Last edited by ksb51rl; 12-04-2011 at 01:39 PM.
    Alt-248 on the number pad =

RC Competitor
    if i am getting new batteries should i not charge them and wait for the spring or use like storage mode etc

RC Qualifier
    Control the power of each cell using your charger or a LVA with voltage display.
    And then, follow the instruction summarized in previous message from ksb51rl...

RC Qualifier
    Do you have lipo bags? Do they actually work and ae they intended for one lipo at a time?.

---
    I am here: http://maps.google.com/maps?ll=-27.617899,153.042587