RC Enthusiast

Dead ESC ಠ_ಠ

I was just out running my rally and it seems I fried the speed controller. Keep in mind it is only <45 degrees Fahrenheit outside. I have two six cell series1 batteries connected in parallel to the stock ESC and 550 motor with stock gearing. The only real change are the wheels and tires. I was running at high speed for a good while as I was navigating a makeshift road coarse, with plenty turns, during which the ESC just quit. The light was still on and green however. Not blinking either. Smoke was coming from the ESC's heat sink but no other components were very hot. Warm at most. After letting it cool I tried to turn it on. It lit up, stayed on for a few seconds and died. The batteries still have about 0-25% charge (old charger I know) so I don't think that is it but I will charge them back up and try again. Any chance that the continuous bursts of speed with two batteries in parallel may have been the cause? Also worth mentioning, the servo kicked the wheels to the left in two 50% increments and the brakes may have came on but it was hard to tell because I was going rather slow(at the time).

Thanks,
    RK

RC Turnbuckle Jr. Jimmie Neutron's Avatar
    First, how many wires are in your Y harness?
    Second, call Traxxas. If you answer the above question correctly, it sounds like a faulty ESC.
    Thirdly, even if you don't answer the above question correctly, call Traxxas!
    Whatever it is I just said... I could be wrong.

RC Enthusiast
    okay I will give that a try. Lets see, there are two from each battery which go into a plug that then plugs into the ESC with two wires. Its not a harness I made myself. It is the genuine traxxas part. I can find the tower hobbies receipt.

Like the one on the left?

The only reason I ask... there are many people that state "I hooked up my parallel adapter" and it was actually a series adapter.

RC Enthusiast
    Yeah I understand. Yes, the one on the left. Ive run it many times. It still has the red tag that says "parallel connector". Do you think think that traxxas will replace it?

It doesn't hurt to call... they are usually very good about standing behind their product.

They are one of the very few (if not only) companies that really don't pay strict attention to the warranty period.

RC Champion
    Quote Originally Posted by Jimmie Neutron View Post
    It doesn't hurt to call... they are usually very good about standing behind their product.

They are one of the very few (if not only) companies that really don't pay strict attention to the warranty period.
    Especially not for something like a Y-harness.
    Everything overpowered...

RC Champion
    before you send your esc in, unplug the servo. It is known that the servo, when it dies, it will shut down the whole system. (it might allow the servo to work, but i dont know) try that, and turn the esc on again. try throttle. If it works, i would get a new stock servo, or buy a hitec equipment. also, they have metal gears. pm me if you want a link to the servo.
    if you want me to i can break your truck for free!

RC Enthusiast
    Quote Originally Posted by thecoolman101 View Post
    before you send your esc in, unplug the servo. It is known that the servo, when it dies, it will shut down the whole system. (it might allow the servo to work, but i dont know) try that, and turn the esc on again. try throttle. If it works, i would get a new stock servo, or buy a hitec equipment. also, they have metal gears. pm me if you want a link to the servo.
    This happened to me. Though I killed my ESC but when I removed the servo from receiver system can back up (had throttle).

Sent from my GT-I9000 using Tapatalk

RC Racer
    Same thing happemed here