RC Competitor

Question What funtionality is lost if I do not use the TQi TX?

First, I am not bashing. I already own an expensive TX and all my surface RCs use it. If I buy this car I will want to use my TX (and therefore my RX as well). Assume that I will find someone with an iPhone to unlock the limiter, and then I will substitute my TX/RX combo in before driving it.

In that situation, what functionality (if any) of the car becomes completely inaccessible to me?

Please note: I'm not talking about the graphical display provided by an iDevice, nor am I talking about TX features. I'm talking about ESC functionality and any data logging that is provided. I'm fine with connecting it to my PC to access functionality/data.

Thank you.
    Last edited by LowFlier; 12-02-2011 at 02:03 PM. Reason: Just being precise

My understanding is once unlocked you wont lose any performance features. If you put yoru aftermarket radio in the car the ESC and motor system once unlocked will have full function. Any data logging or telemetry will rely on the radio system you install but as far has drving performance and speed it will all be there once unlocked.
    BlindMan Racing
    Rusty - MERV - Pede 4x4-Alias
    SPC Lipo Power

If you downgrade the XO-1 by installing another brand of radio system AFTER unlocking 100mph, you will still have 100mph capability with your non-Traxxas radio system. However, you will not be able to re-lock the speed control.

The XO-1 will no longer have telemetry capability unless A: your non-Traxxas radio system has telemetry and B: you install the required sensors for your non-Traxxas radio system.

Any ESC data that can be accessed via Castle Link will still be accessible, but Castle Link cannot lock or unlock the car.

RC Champion
    I am glad someone asked this. I was curious myself.

PeterV,

By chance would the locking/unlocking be consider the same as training mode on the VXL and xl-5. They limit top speed as well as and by power. Or does the lockout just limit top speed?

If it limits power as well as speed that would be a great feature. I have family and friends with that would probably like to drive it. As they have some RC experience they also have respect and fear of crashing it or hurting someone. Being able to tone it down would come in handy in that situation.
    Pay It Forward.

RC Competitor
    Don't let the friends drive it!!! no no no!!!
    RUSH ²ıı² -Made in Taiwan, made faster in America

I would have no trouble allowing anyone to drive my XO-1---AFTER I set Training Mode to limit speed to 2mph

A "locked" XO-1 limits speed, not power. It's not like "Training Mode" built into the speed control on our other vehicles...but we do still have Training Mode with the XO-1, it's built into the TQi transmitter (and can be used with any vehicles you control with a TQi). You go to the Training Mode screen and set what you want the car's top speed to be--anywhere from zero to 100% of full throttle. When you're ready for full-throttle again, just go tap "Disable Training Mode" and you're back to full throttle.

The app might say something other than "Disable Training Mode," I don't have it front of me. But you get the idea.

RC Turnbuckle Jr. pavmentsurfer's Avatar
    So just to clarify... is training mode and the lockout the same thing on the TQI?... you say you can set the training mode to a specific "speed"... is this possible with the TQI radio in ANY vehicle... if so, how does the radio know how fast the car is going? I see there is a GPS module you can buy but without that how does the vehicle judge speed? I thought I read in another post somewhere that the speed of the XO-1 is read by driveshaft RPM... without a driveshaft to read how would the radio know how fast say, a stampede is going?

The only way I can see this thing limiting speed without touching actual power delivery is either by GPS or by driveshaft RPM (since the relationship between driveshaft RPM and speed is not effected by gearing). Im very curious how all this works. This radio and system is simply fascinating. A speed specific Training mode is SUCH a good idea. You could move your kids up to full throttle in 5mph increments... so much better than %50 and %100 options.
    Pede, Summit,
    ERBE, Rally,
    Motley Crew, 1SQ

Quote Originally Posted by pavmentsurfer View Post
    So just to clarify... is training mode and the lockout the same thing on the TQI?
    The lockout is completely independent of Training Mode.

You say you can set the training mode to a specific "speed"... is this possible with the TQI
    radio in ANY vehicle
    Yes. Training Mode works with any vehicle, any speed control.

How does the radio know how fast the car is going? I see there is a GPS module you can buy but without that how does the vehicle judge speed?
    The TQi's telemetry system calculates speed based on RPM. Or, you can install an optional GPS sensor for speed.

I thought I read in another post somewhere that the speed of the XO-1 is read by driveshaft RPM... without a driveshaft to read how would the radio know how fast say, a stampede is going?
    There will be accessories for all Traxxas models that allow you to install sensors and magnets to measure rpm. Depending on the model, the sensor might be in the motor plate or in the gear cover, and the magnet will be in the spur gear. There will also be an engine flywheel with magnet to read engine rpm.

RC Turnbuckle Jr. pavmentsurfer's Avatar
    Wow... this is EXACTLY what I've been saying since the release of this car... the trickle effect of the technology is going to effect all the cars we love... Excellent. Thanks for the clarity peter... your always so helpful (and informed)
    Pede, Summit,
    ERBE, Rally,
    Motley Crew, 1SQ

RC Competitor
    Thank you PeterV. I appreciate the specific details you provided.

Again, I am not knocking the TQi. I just want to know what my options are and the consequnces that will result.

RC Qualifier
    If you use another telemetry system I do not think you will find another that currently handles the over the wire Castle protocol for ESC data. You can of course get most of it from external sensors but I expect you will soon see updates to Spektrum, etc. to talk directly to the Mamba Monster Extreme.

RC Competitor
    Quote Originally Posted by Dadx2mj View Post
    My understanding is once unlocked you wont lose any performance features. If you put yoru aftermarket radio in the car the ESC and motor system once unlocked will have full function. Any data logging or telemetry will rely on the radio system you install but as far has drving performance and speed it will all be there once unlocked.
    I agrree with this
    XO-1 Supercar

RC Competitor
    Quote Originally Posted by padrino View Post
    If you use another telemetry system I do not think you will find another that currently handles the over the wire Castle protocol for ESC data. You can of course get most of it from external sensors but I expect you will soon see updates to Spektrum, etc. to talk directly to the Mamba Monster Extreme.
    In my case the telemetry is wasted effort, therefore not something I am concerned with. I hold my TX pointed more toward my RCs than most (closer to how a pistol would be held if I was trying to shoot my rc with it), which likely puts the display under my steering arm. But position is irrelevant anyway, as I never look at the telemetry when I use my DX3S anyway. My concern was only with being able to make all the same adjustments to the ESC while using a 3rd party TX/RX pair. Apparently I can do so through Castle Link, which is fine for me. I'm not the mainstream user, that's for sure.
    Last edited by LowFlier; 12-05-2011 at 10:45 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by LowFlier View Post
    In my case the telemetry is wasted effort, therefore not something I am concerned with. I hold my TX pointed more toward my RCs than most (closer to how a pistol would be held if I was trying to shoot my rc with it), which likely puts the display under my steering arm. But position is irrelevant anyway, as I never look at the telemetry when I use my DX3S anyway. My concern was only with being able to make all the same adjustments to the ESC while using a 3rd part TX/RX pair.
    Not that I am trying to change you mind but do you realize the info the telemetry gathers can be recorded and viewed later? I dont think, anyone is going to be looking at the telemetry in the middle of a high speed run but recording the data and viewing it later could be very valuable and fun.
    BlindMan Racing
    SPC Lipo Power

RC Competitor
    I understand what you mean, Dadx2mj, but what would I want to know other than top speed? Maybe there is data I am not aware of, but the only other piece of data I can imagine I would be concerned with is RX voltage, and that's not useful after the fact, IMO. I'll take a look at the Traxxas pages for the XO-1 though - maybe there is some data I hadn't thought of using.

Quote Originally Posted by LowFlier View Post
    I understand what you mean, Dadx2mj, but what would I want to know other than top speed? Maybe there is data I am not aware of, but the only other piece of data I can imagine I would be concerned with is RX voltage, and that's not useful after the fact, IMO. I'll take a look at the Traxxas pages for the XO-1 though - maybe there is some data I hadn't thought of using.
    First things that come to my mind is battery voltage and temp. Also keep in mind it will record your voice thru the run so you can add in verbal notes thru the run like commenting on how much punch it had on a given pull of the trigger and then correlate it with what the battery voltage was at that time or the speed was. I think this system is going to open up many new doors and ideas and enable us to do things we have not thought about before because we lacked the technology to do it.
    BlindMan Racing
    SPC Lipo Power