Page 6 of 7 FirstFirst ... 4567 LastLast
    RC poster
    Quote Originally Posted by BrianG View Post
    Someone on another forum came up with a rather simple and easy idea to avoid all the controversy about the unlock mechanism. Instead of including 6s (2x3s) battery pack in the box and requiring the unlock, include a 4s (2x2s) pack in the box. That will bring the speed down to around 50-60 with the taller gearing. Then, if the user wants 100mph, they have to buy 6s. This way, there is no crippling of anything. And the liability would be the same as anyone who buys a different vehicle (like an ERBE) and gears it to 100+. Not bashing, just an idea/suggestion.
    Thats a great idea, NOT! You would have to spend more money on the batteries than you would the itouch and have way less features. Your old stock batteries would be covered in dust on a shelf somewhere and it's still crippled. With that scenario you MUST buy the batteries to do 100, not just borrow a friends for a minute. With the idevice there is a 90% chance you won't need to buy anything else to achieve this speed because either you already have one or know someone who does. How many people do you know that have some extra 6s batteries laying around. Just spend the money on the idevice instead. Its cheaper and you can listen to music watch movies play games and make phone calls even when your not running your car. You guys can go buy some batteries. Im gonna order a pizza and catch a movie from my transmitter lol
    Last edited by lilwarrenb; 12-09-2011 at 07:19 AM.

RC poster
    Quote Originally Posted by lilwarrenb View Post
    Thats a great idea, NOT! You would have to spend more money on the batteries than you would the itouch and have way less features. Your old stock batteries would be covered in dust on a shelf somewhere and it's still crippled. With that scenario you MUST buy the batteries to do 100, not just borrow a friends for a minute. With the idevice there is a 90% chance you won't need to buy anything else to achieve this speed because either you already have one or know someone who does. How many people do you know that have some extra 6s batteries laying around. Just spend the money on the idevice instead. Its cheaper and you can listen to music watch movies play games and make phone calls even when your not running your car. You guys can go buy some batteries. Im gonna order a pizza and catch a movie from my transmitter lol
    Maybe a few years back that would be true but not anymore, there are a copious amount of lipos out there. This makes them fairly cheep.
    Two brand new Venom 3s packs will run you about 90 dollars keep in mind that is the price of two packs.
    Two brand new SPC 3S packs will run you about 80 dollars keep in mind that this is the price of two packs.
    Now if you dont care what color sticker and shrink wrap you get you can get two 3S packs from hobbypartz for about 50 bucks.

Now the Itouch new is about 175 for an 8GB. Now this is a fair comparison being as these are both brand new out of the box, but to make it interesting I went on ebay and typed in "Itouch" most were in the 80-90 dollar ranger but did find a few in the 50-60 range.
    Now you can do the same for 3S lipo and pretty much get the same results. So if you are buying used with the right amount of hunting they will come out to be almost the same price give or take a little.

RC Champion
    Not to mention that most people who are going to buy this likely have other R/Cs (can't see this ~$1000 car as being someone's first R/C purchase), therefore chances are they already have several extra packs of various configurations that could server double-duty in this vehicle.
    http://scriptasylum.com/rc_speed/

RC Turnbuckle Jr.
    Not to mention that most people who are going to buy this likely have other R/Cs

My thoughts also... a person looking to drop 1100 bucks on a skill level "10" car is likely an experienced guy.

I know I've got 2 sets of 3s for my ERBE already.... I sure hope they'll fit this car, however those battery trays look like they're tailored for the packs that come with the car.

How silly would it be if the 1/7th scale car, with a bigger motor, has smaller battery trays than the 1/10th scale ERBE????

RC Racer
    Now I have been an iPhone user since the 2G came out, and I have owned every one since then (Cept the 4S, I'll just wait for the 5 to come out this summer). Still, I think that Traxxas limiting the use of a product advertised as a RTR that does 100MPH is little cheesy of them, especially when the dang thing costs 1100 dollars-I'm pretty sure if I just paid 1100 dollars for something I wouldn't be testing my limits from the start. Perhaps instead of "100+MPH" being on the box they should reconsider, as RTR means the consumer should have do very little with items included in the product package aside from filling it up with fuel (nitro/gas) or charging the batteries. Sure, you could just bum somebody's iDevice...But again, for something of this caliber and something this expensive the consumer shouldn't have to jump through any hoops. IMHO
    Last edited by Dadx2mj; 12-09-2011 at 03:34 PM. Reason: Language

RC Champion
    That's great if you love Traxxas lipos. I don't know jack about them because they a fairly new.

I own plenty of 1/10 scale 2s lipos already and so will highly skilled(10) rc owners.
    Last edited by BL-Bob; 12-09-2011 at 03:42 PM.

Rouleau, aka "Dog River", Saskatchewan, Canada
    Quote Originally Posted by ducati777 View Post
    My thoughts also... a person looking to drop 1100 bucks on a skill level "10" car is likely an experienced guy.

I know I've got 2 sets of 3s for my ERBE already.... I sure hope they'll fit this car, however those battery trays look like they're tailored for the packs that come with the car.

How silly would it be if the 1/7th scale car, with a bigger motor, has smaller battery trays than the 1/10th scale ERBE????
    The top hinged bracket that clips and holds the battery down is removable and several other sizes of this bracket will be available to accommodate many different thicknesses of lipos. Also has an adjustment for fitment of different lengths as well.

Sent from Dan's iPad using Tapatalk
    Never trust an "Atom", they make up everything.

Traxxas Employee Texas Wheelman's Avatar
    Spec page has battery tray dimensions.

Battery Tray Dimensions: *
    155mm x 50mm x 29mm (adjustable height and length)
    It's never too late to have a happy childhood.

Traxxas Employee Texas Wheelman's Avatar
    The battery tray rear cup can slide to put shorter 135mm packs in there. The latch can be repositioned to go up to 40mm high.
    It's never too late to have a happy childhood.

RC Competitor
    Traxxas decided to use apple,sorry! I'm sure they had there reasons and thought about it before they did it.....get over it. They can not please everyone.

Idk about running cheapo lipos in a setup like this.
    Simply the best. The beautiful Traxxas SRT and TCP

RC poster
    Quote Originally Posted by CPLFLY View Post
    Traxxas decided to use apple,sorry! I'm sure they had there reasons and thought about it before they did it.....get over it. They can not please everyone.
    A good start to pleasing people would be to allow the customer to get what they are paying for up front, rather than some retarded business deal with Apple, which ends up making only those that own an Apple device happy (and Traxxas, of course).

RC poster
    Totally agree. When I first saw this car, I immediately resigned myself to buying it - until I saw the Apple device requirement. Traxxas needs to clarify that up front, right on the box. This is no RTR, 100MPH car - until the consumer buys an iPhone or iPod.

Quote Originally Posted by Makg View Post
    Now I have been an iPhone user since the 2G came out, and I have owned every one since then (Cept the 4S, I'll just wait for the 5 to come out this summer). Still, I think that Traxxas limiting the use of a product advertised as a RTR that does 100MPH is little cheesy of them, especially when the dang thing costs 1100 dollars-I'm pretty sure if I just paid 1100 dollars for something I wouldn't be testing my limits from the start. Perhaps instead of "100+MPH" being on the box they should reconsider, as RTR means the consumer should have do very little with items included in the product package aside from filling it up with fuel (nitro/gas) or charging the batteries. Sure, you could just bum somebody's iDevice...But again, for something of this caliber and something this expensive the consumer shouldn't have to jump through any hoops. IMHO

Rouleau, aka "Dog River", Saskatchewan, Canada
    There's no need to buy the iPod, just get somebody you know that has an Idevice, to download the FREE app from iTunes and unlock the 100mph for you. After the unlock is performed, it will never have to be done again. Then spend a few mins setting up the radio the way you want it using buddy's idevice, and after that the Idevice pretty much only takes on the function of radio settings and of course the telemetry. The esc still comes with the castle link, so programmability of the esc is not limited to the Idevice alone. I know that if one of my friends asked if I could lend him my iPod touch while I accompanied him to the track to see this car do 100mph speed runs, I can't say that I would deny the request. I could see people getting upset if the Idevice requirement was limited to a $500-700 iPhone or only the latest release of the touch, but the minimum requirement is a second gen iPod touch, which in the 8 gig style can be had for dirt cheap by the thousands. So even at 100 bucks it is totally justifiable considering the car is pretty much as upgraded as it can get parts wise. Funny how no one can seem to justify buying a 110% parts upgraded car that'll do 100mph and only need to spend 50 bucks to max it out to it's full potential, but the same people can buy a stock r/c vehicle and spend thousands on upgrades in a futile attempt to achieve the type of performance that the xo-1 already possesses. The fact is, that the car is not in the development stage, it's done. So it is what it is, and will stay that way as it carves it's own path to success just like every other model and platform that Traxxas has released in the past. There will NEVER be a model that Traxxas or any other r/c brand could release and make everyone happy with every aspect of it, but you'd be hard pressed to find anyone who would be disappointed with the fact that their completely stock r/c car can exceed 100mph reliably and repeatedly by purchasing ONE $50 upgrade part - a 2nd gen used iPod touch that can also be used for countless other forms of entertainment. When's the last time you took your r/c out for a full battery discharge at the local track, then took one of the 50 dollar upgrades off the truck and plugged it into the car stereo for some tunes on the way home? My swami bar won't play mp3's or wma's can yours?

Sent from Dan's iPad using Tapatalk
    Never trust an "Atom", they make up everything.

RC Racer
    BaldyDaniels, I think you're missing my point entirely. Sure! What's another 50 or 100 or 200 dollars once you have already paid 1100 dollars on a rc car? No. My point is exactly the opposite. If you as a consumer drop that much money on a "RTR" that is advertised as going "100+ Mph!" you are being mislead. The product is not 100 mph capable out of the box. But again, sure, you could just borrow your buds iPhone, but again at that price you should NOT have to jump through any(no matter the size) hoops to simply get what you paid for and what was advertised. Don't get me wrong, as an iPhone owner this whole thing is awesome, but i feel like some people are going to be mislead and feel duped. IMHO

It is not like Traxxas is hiding anything concerning the locking of the speed and the need for an IDevice to unlock it. I cant imagine anyone dropping a grand on an RC car and not doing enough reserach on it to know about the unlocking and IDevice. I say the shame is one anyone who actually buys the car and does not know,,, I doubt that will even happen, if it does it is a clear sign you have way too much money and not enough common sense.
    BlindMan Racing
    Rusty - MERV - Pede 4x4-Alias
    SPC Lipo Power

RC Competitor
    this thread cracks me up. all these people crying about not doing 100mph RTR. i have an ipod, so mine will do 100mph RTR. quit your complaining and dont buy it then. most people in here sound like 5 year olds when they didnt get the exact barbie they wanted, grow up.

$1,100 is a hefty price tag for most people, no clue on whether or not i will even get one. not to mention, if your already spending over a thousand dollars for a "toy," save another $150 and go buy the basic ipod. even if you have to save til your next paycheck. though im surely not gonna sit here an whine about it. lets turn the tables. say traxxas came out with some crazy sick truck. then all of you could come on here and be the pot calling the kettle black to everyone wishing it was a road car.
    X0-1/Brushless Boss 302

RC Qualifier
    Wow, is this thread still going? If all the haters don't like it don't flippin buy it. It is capable of 100mph rtr, it just needs unlocking, if you can't handle that go over to the hpi forums and see how much fun you have with their rc cars. I can assure you that none of them can compare to traxxas.

I think it's time now for the mods to shut all the hate threads and let those of us who are excited about the release ponder over it until its release, coz the haters are ruining this forum for those of us who like the car and will be buying one.

This forum is also for helping eachother, I will happily let folk unlock their x01 with my iPhone if they can't get their hands on one.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    Last edited by revomikey; 12-10-2011 at 10:24 AM.
    Signature removed due to excess awesomeness.

RC Qualifier
    Quote Originally Posted by revomikey View Post
    Wow, is this thread still going?
    I was thinking the same thing. Enough is enough - the same lame, invalid complaints over and over.

RC Champion
    ...I think it's time now for the mods to shut all the hate threads and let those of us who are excited about the release ponder over it until its release, coz the haters are ruining this forum for those of us who like the car and will be buying one...
    I don't agree with this. It's one thing to delete threads that outright bash traxxas, but constructive feedback should be allowed. But even I think all the negatives have been discussed to death.
    http://scriptasylum.com/rc_speed/

It is a delicate balancing act guys, I assure you the staff here tries very hard to let people express their opinions good and bad and also keep the forum a friendly positive environment for everyone. When I see people calling for more moderation and add to it the complaints we get that we are over moderating the forum I have to think we are achieving a respectable balance, rest assured that is our goal and we all try very hard to keep it that way.
    BlindMan Racing
    SPC Lipo Power

I don't agree with this. It's one thing to delete threads that outright bash traxxas, but constructive feedback should be allowed. But even I think all the negatives have been discussed to death.
    Yes, but you are a poster-member for constructive criticism, BrianG.

@Dadx2mj: I could not have said it better myself.
    Alt-248 on the number pad =

RC Champion
    i would say that 99% of the people moaning about the iDevice are really moaning about the car. as they wanted something else. as for me im more than happy to buy a used ipod touch to tune the ESC.
    slash revo vxl x4 rally x2 ped 2wd slash vxl rus

RC Qualifier
    I agree, but as you said, constructive is the key, a lot of the posts are just bashing the car or the iPhone or traxxas ethics.

There is nothing wrong with the moderation by the way, I am just sick of the whinging by the uneducated and ill-informed. I want to read some constructive threads.

Quote Originally Posted by Machina View Post
    Totally agree. When I first saw this car, I immediately resigned myself to buying it - until I saw the Apple device requirement. Traxxas needs to clarify that up front, right on the box. This is no RTR, 100MPH car - until the consumer buys an iPhone or iPod.
    Did you look at the box panel pdf?
    Quote Originally Posted by Traxxas XO-1 Box Panel
    What you'll need to run your XO-1: iPhone or iPod touch with internet connection and Traxxas Link app. (Required to unlock 100+mph top speed potential)
    Seems pretty clear to me.
    The Super Derecho

Wait a min. Ill need a internet connection the for my idevice in order to run the traxxas link features or telemetry while running the car or just to download the traxxas link from the app store?
    Simply the best. The beautiful Traxxas SRT and TCP

Quote Originally Posted by Emaxx2.0 View Post
    Wait a min. Ill need a internet connection the for my idevice in order to run the traxxas link features or telemetry while running the car or just to download the traxxas link from the app store?
    Only to download the app. Once you have it on your IDevice you do not need to have the device connected to the net
    BlindMan Racing
    SPC Lipo Power

RC Enthusiast
    This is just amazing. I'm actually quite scared, for R/C as a whole, at the precedent that Traxxas is setting.

Before anybody accuses me of being a Traxxas basher, let me first state that I love these guys. Out of the 11 cars in my garage, only one is NOT a Traxxas. And this isn't about the iwhatever, it's about the whole liability thing.

Placing a requirement that an End User Agreement is required to use the item as advertised is what I'm concerned about. Lets face it, stupid people will do stupid things. R/C is not a completely safe hobby. However, having a car that is capable of triple digit speeds is NOT as dangerous as other portions of the R/C hobby. For example, a Blade 400, RTF heli, out of the box, can tear open metal siding on a house quite easily. (A friend of mine did this...) An Align TRex 600E with a head speed of over 2600 rpm can peel a body like a grape, those 24" swords are quite capable of serious damage.

I guarantee that other manufacturers are watching this. If the XO-1 sells well, like I expect it will, (it is an AWESOME car!) they will start requiring similar agreements for their items, strictly to help mitigate liability. Aside from the extra steps necessary for "unlocking" these items, the other problem with it will be the devices for unlocking. Traxxas appears to be fond of the iDevices. Other manufactures may be fond of the Android, others maybe the Blackberry. There is no standard.

This will cause irreparable damage to R/C as a hobby. I guarantee it.

RC Champion
    Quote Originally Posted by equinator View Post
    I have to disagree with you here. There are plenty of R/C cars out there already exceeding 100 mph. This one just takes the guess work out of getting to those speeds. The hobby will be fine.
    Jeremy

No it will not, just as RTR models did not, despite the weeping, moaning, & gnashing of teeth of some "purists."
    I guarantee it.

Quote Originally Posted by gregkl View Post
    I agree and I have posted some replies myself that may look like I am bashing Traxxas. I am bashing them about the Idevice requirement but at the same time I have more Traxxas veichles than any other including 5 different versions of the Stampede. My favorite all time basher. Our hobby store is full of people who want one of these but do not have and Idevice or in some cases a smart device of anykind. Lots and lots of lost sales. Our hobby store is not even going to carry one of these in stock due to the Idevice requirement.
    Every hobby store will be full of people who want one of these. If a certain establishment wants to follow that silly course of action, it is a loss for them and their customers.
    Last edited by ksb51rl; 12-12-2011 at 10:07 AM.

RC Turnbuckle Jr.
    Quote Originally Posted by ksb51rl View Post
    If a certain establishment wants to follow that silly course of action, it is a loss for them and their customers.
    Does seem silly. Dunno what the LHS's share on a model is... but this car looks like a winner. The first guy who shows up at a parking lot bash with one of these is going to convince his buddies to buy one too....

RC Qualifier
    Stuff like this sounds more like a wish.

RC Competitor
    If a certain establishment wants to follow that silly course of action, it is a loss for them and their customers.
    I would assume that Traxxas is doing something in the way of outreach to hobby shops regarding all this. This would be a loss for Traxxas as well. Many customers follow the advice of their LHS, even when that LHS is being stupid.

RC Champion

Every hobby store will be full of people who want one of these. If a certain establishment wants to follow that silly course of action, it is a loss for them and their customers.

Not my local hobby store. 2 or 3 people might but that's it. The summit didn't sell well here so I don't think the XO-1 will either. It just doesn't do enough or fall into a popular class.
    Oderint Dum Metuant

Quote Originally Posted by LowFlier View Post
    I would assume that Traxxas is doing something in the way of outreach to hobby shops regarding all this. This would be a loss for Traxxas as well. Many customers follow the advice of their LHS, even when that LHS is being stupid.
    Think about that. Would Traxxas release something this new and revolutionary without the mechanism to support those who market it? Call me a fanboy, but I have a little more faith in this company than that.

Quote Originally Posted by ReaperGN View Post
    Not my local hobby store. 2 or 3 people might but that's it. The summit didn't sell well here so I don't think the XO-1 will either. It just doesn't do enough or fall into a popular class.
    Glad to hear you have the pulse of the shop. Which boring place is this again?
    Last edited by ksb51rl; 12-12-2011 at 07:46 PM.

RC Qualifier
    I'm #6 on the list, at my LHS.

#1-#4 tried to laydown full payment in cash, to guarantee they would get one on release day...
    ERBE
    2S-6500-35C
    2S/3S-5000-35C
    2S-5000-45C

Quote Originally Posted by gregkl View Post
    I think its not that we hate Apple as much as we want more choices or not to be forced into someting we don't want. I have 9 traxxas models now and will probably have more. I want this one but there has to options other than an Idevice first.
    Consider your message delivered and heard loud and clear. Again.

RC Qualifier
    This topic is done to death. Dont forget that the tq has an adjustable throttle not an on/off switch. It's not compulsory to hit 100mph in your living room.

60 is ample fast enough for most. My erbe on 6s probably does about 50 and that's insane!!

I bet when I get mine I don't even get close to 100pmh and I don't care if I never reach the fabled 100. I will enjoy the car for its amazing looks, the stunning design and aerodynamics, the technology is amazing and I for one can't wait to get my hands on one.

This piece of kit is an epic win!!

Do any of the mods know if the uk release date is the same as the us?
    Last edited by revomikey; 12-13-2011 at 01:56 AM.

RC Competitor
    I bet when I get mine I don't even get close to 100pmh and I don't care if I never reach the fabled 100. I will enjoy the car for its amazing looks, the stunning design and aerodynamics, the technology is amazing and I for one can't wait to get my hands on one.

This piece of kit is an epic win!!
    True that, 100 MPH is FAST especially for an RC car and most of the time it won't even be run to that kind of speed. It looks good and I truly hope it handles as well or better than a GTP-2e or DM-1. It is an astonishing piece of engineering and will be a game-changer for sure. I have certainly been critical of this new release and by now I'm sure I've made my opposition to the way they've gone about certain things perfectly clear but in absolutely no way do I think this is a "fail" or a bad product. Traxxas products don't really "keep up with the Jones'" in any way. They released the Summit right when a bunch of good RTR crawlers were in their prime and 1/8th buggies were hotter than ever, yet I had one on pre-order (twice, actually, but that's a long story). They don't do what the rest of the game is doing, they stick to their own gameplan and honestly I think it works. When I go to my LHS and see 1st timers buying something I don't see them eyeing up a Losi or a Mugen, it's always a RTR Traxxas. Honestly I think Traxxas does a tremendous amount of good for our hobby by standing out to people who otherwise would have had no interest in "toy cars" and brings them into our hobby. Maybe they move on to other products, but who can ever forget their first time and the good times they enjoyed with their first car/truck? I know those are memories that will live with me for the rest of my life as I started out with an electric Rustler with the old 20T Stinger motor, mechanical speed control, plastic gears in the transmission, phillips head hardware, 2018 plastic gear junker servos, etc. Over the years I have had a few dozen RCs and made some pretty awesome custom builds (and my 1/8th scale onroader should give the XO-1 a run for the money) yet I still have my Rustler, original black plastic and all.

I doubt I will ever change my opinion about the XO-1 coming factory-limited and requiring an "iDevice" to unlock what it should come capable of from the factory, but if that's all you're thinking of then it's time to step back and take an un-biased look at this new car because it is here to stay and future generations of RCs and enthusiasts will be affected by it. I've made up my mind and I won't be buying one, that limiter IS too much for me and I'll put part of that money into the onroader I've already got, but this is a step forward for the hobby and I dearly hope Traxxas doesn't see lawsuits or any of that nonsense developing as a result of giving this kind of power to the people.

Best of luck, and I hope we see the better parts of this being introduced in more product releases in the future.

Do any of the mods know if the uk release date is the same as the us?
    If we knew we couldn't tell. Since we have no idea your best bet is to contact someone in corporate marketing. I hope it is available. You guys deserve it as much as anybody else.