Page 3 of 7 FirstFirst 12345 ... LastLast
    RC Qualifier
    Unlocked? Weird.

RC Turnbuckle Jr. pavmentsurfer's Avatar
    Anyone who says they dont know ANYONE with an Idevice... thats crazy... you dont know ANYONE... not a nephew or niece... not the neighbours kid... not ANYONE with an Ipod touch? My mother has an Ipod touch and she doesnt even know how to turn on her computer... I play scrabble on my Iphone with a 70 year old lady from Ohio... she beats me every time.

So you really dont know ANYONE with an Itouch who would let you borrow it?
    Pede, Summit,
    ERBE, Rally,
    Motley Crew, 1SQ

RC Champion
    Quote Originally Posted by ksb51rl View Post
    Give
    It
    A
    Rest

Saying "Your girlfriend is ugly" once is insensitive.
    Saying "Your girlfriend is ugly" twice is insulting.
    Saying "Your girlfriend is ugly" thrice is begging for trouble.

You may want to step back from the forums for a little while.
    uh o..somebody is geting upset..lol
    slash
    summit
    rampage mt
    tmaxx
    SCX10Dingokit

No, just giving some good advice that may never be taken.
    Alt-248 on the number pad =

RC Champion
    Who knows maybe there is a % off coupon iside the box for a discount on an apple product, my lhs said that for a small fee they would offer the programing..... i think most hs would do the same, money is money.

RC Champion
    I just want the tire's. If they are as good as claimed I will be happy.
    *Proud Husband of United state's Air Force wife.*

RC Qualifier
    Quote Originally Posted by LowFlier View Post
    While I concede all the points made in support of Traxxas' decision to use the iDevice as a convenient interface, this statement is simply not true. I have the wherewithal to buy a couple of these without ruining my budget right now, and yet the only person I know with an iDevice lives 950 miles away in another state. I think your assertion is based on your subjective experience, which is not the same as fact. Apple devices are not quite as ubiquitous as you imagine.
    I am as far removed from being a fan of Apple as it can get, but that does not make me blind. I also work in the telecommunications industry, so I get to read tons of data, market research, white papers, etc. that give me much more information. Add on top of that real data the anecdotal evidence I have from just observing the population around me when I'm out in public. (Situational awareness is never a bad skill to learn). Combine all that and I can tell you, without hesitation, that yes, these devices are as ubiquitous as you want them not to be.

15 years ago, an elderly person or child under 10 with a cellphone was almost unheard of. Pay attention the next time you're in a city with more than one stoplight and you'll see people of all age demographics carrying around a handheld device of some sort. A huge percentage of those handheld devices are iOS devices. That's not subjective experience, that's hard cold market fact.

For you to state that there is no one within nearly a 1,000 mile radius of you with one of these devices suggests to me that you are A) Blind B) Stuck near the Artic Circle at a secret military base that forbids personal cellphones or C) a missionary living in a third world country.

I realize there are large portions of the country, mostly the western areas, that do not have large population centers and/or widespread cellphone coverage, but 95% of the population in this country lives within range of at least one cell tower. 40-45% of this country lives east of the Mississippi River, which is saturated with cell towers.

Your experience, however true it might be, is the .002% exception to the rule.

If you live in an area with any significant population density, there's a 12 year old kid playing Pocket God within 15 minutes of you. Pinky Promise.

RC poster
    Quote Originally Posted by LaTuFu View Post
    For you to state that there is no one within nearly a 1,000 mile radius of you with one of these devices suggests to me that you are A) Blind B) Stuck near the Artic Circle at a secret military base that forbids personal cellphones or C) a missionary living in a third world country.
    D) Surrounded by lots of intelligent people that understand why supporting Apple is bad for the consumer in the long run.

For every iOS device, theres at least 10 devices with USB ports. It seems more logical to have a usb port that requires iOS devices to use an adapter since its iOS devices that have a proprietary connector. This would also leave the door open to develop apps on other platforms.

RC Enthusiast
    Maybe they should sell different versions like they did with the Slash 4x4 when it came out.

1. Sell just like it is.

2. Sell with car unlocked, with no radio system. They can buy any telemetry TX/RX setup on the market of their choice.

3. Sell the car with old MMM/2650 and the radio without the docking station. For those who don't care about telemetry!

4. Sell the X02 Super Super Car. Install the MM XL / 2028 Motor built for 1/5 scale trucks. Now that would be interesting.

And even if they did this people would still complain they Traxxas is selling too many versions of the same chassis.

I am starting to understand why nothing can be accomplished in this country. Everyone thinks the world should bend over backwards to make them happy only. And others should conform to their ideals and views, and those who don't agree with them need to be constantly berated with comment after comment.

I read these forums to try and get some good factual information about new products, but this latest release has started a firestorm of discontent between Apple haters and the people that might have one of these devices. People that happen to own one of these devices or plan on getting a used cheap device somewhere are not the devil.

Give It A Rest People!!!
    4x4 Slash
    2x ERBE
    Summit
    1/16 Summit
    KB Rally

I have to confess, i have not read every post in this forum. I just posted this elsewhere:

If we offered an "accessory LCD display" for the radio, manufactured by Traxxas, none of you woulld be saying, "I already have an Android with a display on it! How dare you require me to buy YOUR display!"

The display is Apples, not ours, but the principle is the same. You can get an accessory display for the TQi. It happens to be made by Apple. And if you already own an iPod touch or iPhone, as millions do, your display is "free."

We could never offer our own display with all the functionality of an iPod touch for anywhere near the $199 that a new iPod touch costs. So, we just used an iPod touch (or you can use your iPhone). You can get an iPod touch for much less on eBay or Craigslist--the TQi is compatible with Gen 2 touch and later.

If you have some hatred for Apple that prevents you from buying an iPod touch, just borrow a friends. Unlocking the car does not require a unique iPod that is somehow linked to you.

RC Turnbuckle Jr.
    Seems pretty straight forward to me....

You want a screen? go get one.

Also for your consideration (and forgive me if others have already made these points):

For many, many XO-1 customers, the Apple connectivity is a huge win. Given the popularity of the iPod touch and iPhone, many XO-1 customers will already have the required device.

Even if you don't have the device and buy a NEW $199 iPod touch to use exclusively with the TQi transmitter, your $199 investment gives you a transmitter that blows away the current top-of-the-line $250-$350 offerings from the other brands. They don't have a color, high-resolution touch screen with 8GB (or more) of memory. They don't have automatic model recognition. They can't play music or movies or games or text or email.

Did I say $199 for an iPod touch? get one on eBay for half that, or less.

So if you want to be so elitist that you can't soil your hands with an iPod, have your wife/sister/grandmother do it for you
    By far the best comment in the entire thread!
    "Fortunately son, I says fortunately I keep my feathers numbered for just such an emergency!"
    Foghorn Leghorn

RC Qualifier
    just send your radios to me and I will unlock them for you for FREE!!!......problem solved stop yer complaining

Please watch your use of symbols.
    -ksb51rl
    Last edited by ksb51rl; 12-02-2011 at 12:00 PM. Reason: Language
    baja 5B
    ERBE
    XO-1
    Rally 1/10

RC Champion
    If a hobby shop or even Joe Blow unlocks a X0-1's for someone else will they also be liable for that X0-1? Is that not the purpose of the lock down in the first place?

Did the droid users really think they could escape Apple?

Sent from my iPhone

RC Turnbuckle Jr.
    This country and its notion of liablity is incredibly silly.

Why can't people accept they're responsible for their own actions. If you buy a rc car, and drive it into something, thats YOUR responsiblity....

But instead we need to download an app to remind the very first person that sees it that. Not the next guy, or the guy who buys it used, or anyone else who might drive the car also...

The purpose of the app is to give you much easier access to its pro-level tuning features and enable telemetry. It's main function is not a warning-dispenser.

When clicking through the various "I agree" buttons to unlock the 100mph speed capability, we DO require that the user agree to re-lock the XO-1 if they decide to sell it or gift it. Our absolute highest concern is that people respect the car and behave responsibly with it so they don't hurt themselves or someone else--not because of lawsuit avoidance, but because dang, we just don't want to see anybody get hurt anywhere, ever. We are particularly strident with the XO-1 because it is SO fast, but all Traxxas manuals have strong safety warnings. A 30mph Slash can hurt you if you do something stupid. We don't want our hobby to get a black eye, and we don't want anyone to literally get a black eye.

Unfortunately, some people need to be told "don't be stupid," but there's no gurantee--just search FAIL on YouTube.

NOTE: no one HERE needs to be told "don't be stupid." I was talking about a segment of the civilian population outside this forum.

RC Champion
    The technology for telemetry and real-time adjustments IS a very cool thing, I won't deny it. And, after thinking about this a bit more, my beef is not so much about integrating the system with an Apple device, but more with crippling the system's capabilities unless you have that device.

So, my suggestion would be to leave the radio/ESC unlocked like any other system, and keep all the nice extra features like telemetry and real-time settings adjustment for only those who have the appropriate device. This way, it would be treated as a "hop-up" rather than a penalty.

And for those that say "have someone with an iDevice unlock it for you"; yeah, I could do that, but again, what is the purpose of crippling the system in the first place? Safety/liability? If anyone can do it, how does that help? Lots of elementary school kids have iPhones/Touches, so it's not like only adults will be able to unlock it. And about the unlocking warnings, I bet 99% of the people will click through them without even reading them, or following through with the requirements.
    Last edited by BrianG; 12-02-2011 at 11:56 AM.
    http://scriptasylum.com/rc_speed/

I'm not a Traxxas fanboy or do I like apple products that much. I love mircosof and android rofl. But when a state of the art technology like this car comes to the market regardless on what the product supports or uses I give credit where credit is do. If I get my new job I'm buying this car and most likely upgrade my android to the new apple 4gs( but using this brilliant 4.5" screen on my Samsung infuse would be hot). This car is that cool and living in west palm beach I have a lot of streets to run this car. Amazing job Traxxas.
    Simply the best. The beautiful Traxxas SRT and TCP

Quote Originally Posted by BrianG View Post
    Lots of elementary school kids have iPhones/Touches, so it's not like only adults will be able to unlock it. And about the unlocking warnings, I bet 99% of the people will click through them without even reading them, or following through with the requirements.
    Hopefully parents WON'T be buying the XO-1 for a child, but if they do, the parent will be unlocking the car with his/her email, which the child does not have access to. When re-locked by the parent, the child cannot unlock the car with their (the child's) email.

The manual insists that the XO-1 be stored where unauthorized users may not access it, preferably with the speed control locked.

The app forces you to take the time to read the requirements. You can sit there with your eyes closed if you want, but you will not be able to click-click-click through the unlock process as if it were an iTunes agreement (South Park, anyone?)

Quote Originally Posted by PeterV View Post
    They can't play music or movies or games or text or email.
    I thought about this but you mentioned it first. How fun would it be to run the car and plug some headphones in and listen to some good music while the car is speeding around? Granted with nitro you need to hear a little bit of the engine for tuning purposes but with electric all one hears is the whir.
    The Super Derecho

Heck... how cool would it be to drive the car around while listening to the sounds of a nitro engine... thats the only think I miss about intros. Hehe.
    Pede, Summit,
    ERBE, Rally,
    Motley Crew, 1SQ

RC Turnbuckle Jr.
    When clicking through the various "I agree" buttons to unlock the 100mph speed capability, we DO require that the user agree to re-lock the XO-1 if they decide to sell it or gift it.
    Interesting... I'll admit I'm just guessing at what the warnings/releases would be.

Our absolute highest concern is that people respect the car and behave responsibly with it so they don't hurt themselves or someone else--not because of lawsuit avoidance, but because dang, we just don't want to see anybody get hurt anywhere, ever.

Agreed. While I'm not a fan of our civil court system, the idea of a car asking you if you're sure you want to go that fast is funny.

User: Hey XO, is that all you got?
    XO1: No sir, I can do much better, but I'm not sure you really want that.
    User: Oh but I do, I do!!! (frantically clicking agree)
    XO1: Ok buddy, you asked for it, but don't be mad if I break the speed of light and travel backwards in time.....

Heck... how cool would it be to drive the car around while listening to the sounds of a nitro engine... thats the only think I miss about intros. Hehe.

I keep hearing comments about how apples business practices are bad for the consumer. That blows my mind. But I guess is a good side commentary about why people are so hard on traxxas when they develop something amazing. Everyone likes to hate the leader...
    Pede, Summit,
    ERBE, Rally,
    Motley Crew, 1SQ

Traxxas Employee Texas Wheelman's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by ducati777 View Post
    User: Hey XO, is that all you got?
    XO1: No sir, I can do much better, but I'm not sure you really want that.
    User: Oh but I do, I do!!! (frantically clicking agree)
    XO1: Ok buddy, you asked for it, but don't be mad if I break the speed of light and travel backwards in time.....
    That rules. I immediately thought of KITT talking to Michael Knight.
    It's never too late to have a happy childhood.

RC Qualifier

Wait, it has a flux capacitor...
    2x Stampede VXL
    Stampede 4x4

Traxxas Employee sofasticantseeit's Avatar
    I have to confess, i have not read every post in this forum. I just posted this elsewhere:

If we offered an "accessory LCD display" for the radio, manufactured by Traxxas, none of you woulld be saying, "I already have an Android with a display on it! How dare you require me to buy YOUR display!"

The display is Apples, not ours, but the principle is the same. You can get an accessory display for the TQi. It happens to be made by Apple. And if you already own an iPod touch or iPhone, as millions do, your display is "free."

We could never offer our own display with all the functionality of an iPod touch for anywhere near the $199 that a new iPod touch costs. So, we just used an iPod touch (or you can use your iPhone). You can get an iPod touch for much less on eBay or Craigslist--the TQi is compatible with Gen 2 touch and later.

If you have some hatred for Apple that prevents you from buying an iPod touch, just borrow a friends. Unlocking the car does not require a unique iPod that is somehow linked to you.
    Looks like Peter beat me to it. It's really this simple guys.

RC Turnbuckle Jr.
    Quote Originally Posted by No One View Post
    Wait, it has a flux capacitor...
    You didn't see the extra capacitor?????

You didn't really believe it was for "ripple currents" did you?

RC Competitor
    I never claimed that no one within 950 miles had an iDevice. I said that nobody I know within 950 miles has one. Am I to ask random strangers if I can borrow their device so that I can attach it to my TX for a minute? Not that it's relevant. I can find someone to unlock it for me. I'm past it. I have other questions, but I will ask in a different thread.

Hopefully parents WON'T be buying the XO-1 for a child, but if they do, the parent will be unlocking the car with his/her email, which the child does not have access to. When re-locked by the parent, the child cannot unlock the car with their (the child's) email.
    Wait! How does email come into this? I thought it required an iPod or an iPhone... not an email account. ???

RC Champion
    Peter and/or Texas, could something similar have been done using Bluetooth technology to accommodate a variety of smart phones?
    Last edited by airmaxx23; 12-02-2011 at 02:14 PM.
    ***You Build It ...I'll Jump It!!!*** OS .18 TZ; Trinity Pipe; HCR Titanium Skid Plates & Bumpers; Futaba S9450 Throttle Servo; Airtronics 94358Z Steering Servo; RPM A-arms & Knuckles; FOC; Lunsford Titanium Hinge Pins,Turnbuckles, Push Rods & Rocker Posts; New Era Roll Bar & Engine Mount; Proline Mashers on Velocity Rims.

Quote Originally Posted by airmaxx23 View Post
    Could something similar have been done using Bluetooth technology to accommodate a variety of smart phones?
    And then people would be complaining "What? I need a smart phone and a blue tooth!!!!"

It just seems no matter what some people are not happy. For months all I heard was "The next release better not be another revamped mini". Now we have a new platform with some awesome new features and unbelievable performance and we are getting a whole new round of "Why didn't they....."

Step back take an open minded look at the new car and I just dont see how you can not see how cool it is, even if it is not your cup of tea the coolness is just dripping off this thing.
    BlindMan Racing
    Rusty - MERV - Pede 4x4-Alias
    SPC Lipo Power

RC Qualifier
    Agreed. See this beast for the work of art that it is. It's a thing of great beauty and technology. It's just stunning. I can't wait to get my hands on one.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    Signature removed due to excess awesomeness.

RC Champion
    Quote Originally Posted by Dadx2mj View Post
    And then people would be complaining "What? I need a smart phone and a blue tooth!!!!"

It just seems no matter what some people are not happy. For months all I heard was "The next release better not be another revamped mini". Now we have a new platform with some awesome new features and unbelievable performance and we are getting a whole new round of "Why didn't they....."

Step back take an open minded look at the new car and I just dont see how you can not see how cool it is, even if it is not your cup of tea the coolness is just dripping off this thing.
    Ah, that is true.
    ***You Build It ...I'll Jump It!!!*** OS .18 TZ; Trinity Pipe; HCR Titanium Skid Plates & Bumpers; Futaba S9450 Throttle Servo; Airtronics 94358Z Steering Servo; RPM A-arms & Knuckles; FOC; Lunsford Titanium Hinge Pins,Turnbuckles, Push Rods & Rocker Posts; New Era Roll Bar & Engine Mount; Proline Mashers on Velocity Rims.

There are apple bluetooth adapters that connect to any male apple connector (so the controller side) and may or may not give you the capability to transmit the information from the transmitter (thats alot of transmitting) to your Ipod/phone wirelessly. I know they have these adapters for stereo applications and for in your car... but I'm not sure if they would work for something other than music. I have to think that type of a link is not audio specific and just create a virtual link between the iPhone and the adapter that acts like a cable would

I read somewhere people were wondering about using an iPad. Obviously it won't fit but any iPhone application WILL run on an iPad and you can buy a cable extension with a male and female end so theoretically you could use the extension cable to go from the controller to your iPad... where you would put your iPad is a whole different story.
    Pede, Summit,
    ERBE, Rally,
    Motley Crew, 1SQ

RC Competitor
    Bluetooth could easily carry the needed data stream. Bluetooth is not audio-specific.

RC Qualifier
    Quote Originally Posted by J3R3MY_H View Post
    D) Surrounded by lots of intelligent people that understand why supporting Apple is bad for the consumer in the long run.

For every iOS device, theres at least 10 devices with USB ports. It seems more logical to have a usb port that requires iOS devices to use an adapter since its iOS devices that have a proprietary connector. This would also leave the door open to develop apps on other platforms.
    You're wandering off on a tangent about "this OS is better than that OS". I'm not going to debate which one is better, that's a whole other subject. The main point I was making is iOS, whether the haters like it or not, dominates the mobile device landscape. From a purely economic perspective, it makes complete sense for Traxxas to start with this platform. If they were releasing a device that would let you control it from the steering wheel of your car, it would be economically smart for them to start out making it compatible with the #1 selling manufacturer in North America, yes?

Quote Originally Posted by LowFlier View Post
    I never claimed that no one within 950 miles had an iDevice. I said that nobody I know within 950 miles has one. Am I to ask random strangers if I can borrow their device so that I can attach it to my TX for a minute? Not that it's relevant. I can find someone to unlock it for me. I'm past it. I have other questions, but I will ask in a different thread.
    It sounds to me like you know someone then, if you're already past it, and know how to find someone. Just sayin'...

RC Champion
    I do know this, If you can afford to purchase this rig you have the money to buy the apple devise as well, so i dont know what the fuss is about.... also do you really want to go 100mph down your local street? might be fun but what if you hit something? I can almost gaurentee it will explode into alot of peices. 100mph down a race track is so different, you loose control and the track is desighned to somewhat save you and your car, same would go for the rc.

And yes i am going to buy one but i think ill even have a hard time finding a place localy here to run it at 100mph so ill probably just run it the way it comes, i dont have an ipod touch yet but will order one just for this purpose..
    Last edited by jaman; 12-02-2011 at 03:19 PM.

RC Turnbuckle Jr.
    Quote Originally Posted by pavmentsurfer View Post
    .. so theoretically you could use the extension cable to go from the controller to your iPad... where you would put your iPad is a whole different story.
    I'm going to hang it on a blinged out chain around my neck, flavor flav style.

But instead of a clock, it'll be a gigantic speedometer.

RC Champion
    I'm going to hang it on a blinged out chain around my neck, flavor flav style.

But instead of a clock, it'll be a gigantic speedometer.
    Make sure you get a video or a pic of it for us all to see.......lol