Page 2 of 7 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast
Results 41 to 80 of 252
  1. #41
    RC Turnbuckle Jr. Emaxx2.0's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2008
    Location
    West Palm Beach Fl
    Posts
    4,088
    Quote Originally Posted by nunster View Post
    How much does a Iphone cost a month. The service plan or what ever to make the thing work. Or can you buy an I phone and down load the ap without activating it? Only mobile device I have is a pay card phone I keep out in my truck for emergencies. So that's why I am confused about all this.
    That's the thing. You don't even need a iPhone or a monthly contract. A Itouch o wifi will work. Can I don't even think it needs internet once the app is install. And if you have a friend with a idevice have them unlock the car once and you're good. The unlocking part is a one time thing.
    Simply the best. The beautiful Traxxas SRT and TCP

  2. #42
    RC Qualifier
    Join Date
    Sep 2011
    Location
    Earth, Milky Way.
    Posts
    928
    This is what PeterV said to BSRC: " Apple iOS only. Remember, you don’t need a phone, you can use an iPod touch. Older generation iPod touches are compatible, and you can find them inexpensively on eBay or Craigslist. Even if you purchase a new iPod touch just to use with your TQi radio system, you’ll be spending less than you would on a comparable pro-level radio system-but “comparable” isn’t really a fair word to use, since nothing compares to the TQi when you add your Apple device. You’ll have more features, more
    adjustability (and easier adjustability), way more memory, and a far, far better display than any transmitter currently offered–plus telemetry. Plus all the functionality of the iPhone or iPod! Try watching a movie, surfing the web, listening to music, texting your girlfriend, or ordering a pizza with any other transmitter. Even if you’re a hardcore Android fan, you’re not going to want to miss out on the features of Traxxas Link. Get an iPod touch, plug it into the Docking Base, and consider it to be part of the transmitter."
    This is a signature.

  3. #43
    Marshal ksb51rl's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2006
    Location
    Northern NJ
    Posts
    15,985
    ...and call it a Banana instead of an Apple if you hate them so much.

    Sent from my iPod Touch
    Alt-248 on the number pad = °

  4. #44
    RC Competitor
    Join Date
    Nov 2011
    Posts
    65
    I think an android version would definitely be very much appreciated. And everyone is concerned about plug styles, locations, and shapes and sizes, but there's this very nifty gadget interface that is included on pretty much every phone(smart or dumb), also included on PS3 controllers, and now the remotes on some TV's... It's called blutooth. easy solution to the "too many plugs" issue. And why not have a clamping style holder on the remote, like a universal car mount. All the being said, i am certain without a doubt, that there is definitely product favoritism enforced with the iDevice interface. Either apple is paying traxxas to keep the system proprietary for apple(as they do with so much else), or someone at traxxas has a fetish for iWhatever. The differences in programming the device is not nearly as complicated as some people may think. Too bad, could have been the next best thing.

  5. #45
    Marshal Dadx2mj's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2007
    Location
    So Cal
    Posts
    21,301
    All the being said, i am certain without a doubt, that there is definitely product favoritism enforced with the iDevice interface. Either apple is paying traxxas to keep the system proprietary for apple(as they do with so much else), or someone at traxxas has a fetish for iWhatever.

    What makes you so "certain" this is the case? Is it not possible that Traxxas looked at all the options and simply felt that all factors considered this was the best over all option?
    BlindMan Racing
    Rusty - MERV - Pede 4x4-Alias
    SPC Lipo Power

  6. #46
    RC Turnbuckle Jr. pavmentsurfer's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2009
    Location
    Ontario, Canada
    Posts
    11,145
    Great comment from PeterV... and great point (though tounge in cheek of course) from KSB... call it what you want. Label it an advanced user interface for your radio and paint over the apple logo... then you can sleep at night. I just did a quick search of e-bay and other sales sites and found older iPod touches and older iPhone 3G (non S) models selling for $60ish... its doable.

    Just to comment on reapers comment... there MAY be ways for me to use Windows on my Mac... but I still have to buy windows... and before you say "just download it"... remember... were staying above board here so everything is fair... that would be stealing. Even IF I'm willing to take the time and effort to install windows on my Macbook Pro I have to buy a copy of windows (over $100). I chose to buy an old laptop I use only for castle link. My point in all of that was that to get full functionality from my expensive ESC's I had to spend more money. I didn't complain, I just did it.

    On top of ALL that... it seems to me that people think the car doesnt even work without an Idevice... it DOES work... you only need to quickly unlock the limiter to get FULL speed. 50mph is going to please people for a long time at first... certainly long enough to find SOMEONE with an idevice willing to help you unlock it. Not to mention, a good investment for a hobby shop would be a cheap iPod touch to unlock customers cars at the point of purchase... this will not only allow the customer to run the full potential of the car, but it will make the hobby shop look like a hero and make you more likely to come back... unless they charge you for the service... then you'll be mad about it.
    Pede, Summit,
    ERBE, Rally,
    Motley Crew, 1SQ

  7. #47
    RC Champion
    Join Date
    Jun 2004
    Posts
    1,894
    Quote Originally Posted by pavmentsurfer View Post
    Great comment from PeterV... and great point (though tounge in cheek of course) from KSB... call it what you want. Label it an advanced user interface for your radio and paint over the apple logo... then you can sleep at night. I just did a quick search of e-bay and other sales sites and found older iPod touches and older iPhone 3G (non S) models selling for $60ish... its doable.

    Just to comment on reapers comment... there MAY be ways for me to use Windows on my Mac... but I still have to buy windows... and before you say "just download it"... remember... were staying above board here so everything is fair... that would be stealing. Even IF I'm willing to take the time and effort to install windows on my Macbook Pro I have to buy a copy of windows (over $100). I chose to buy an old laptop I use only for castle link. My point in all of that was that to get full functionality from my expensive ESC's I had to spend more money. I didn't complain, I just did it.

    On top of ALL that... it seems to me that people think the car doesnt even work without an Idevice... it DOES work... you only need to quickly unlock the limiter to get FULL speed. 50mph is going to please people for a long time at first... certainly long enough to find SOMEONE with an idevice willing to help you unlock it. Not to mention, a good investment for a hobby shop would be a cheap iPod touch to unlock customers cars at the point of purchase... this will not only allow the customer to run the full potential of the car, but it will make the hobby shop look like a hero and make you more likely to come back... unless they charge you for the service... then you'll be mad about it.
    You also had the option of a field programmer so you definitely were not forced into buying a computer with Windows. When you looked at brushless motors you had several options but went with Castle knowing you needed a Windows device or the field programmer. With the XO-1 you have no options other than using an iDevice, again, the 2 scenarios are completely different. They could have catered to almost everyone by having it link with Bluetooth, the technology is pretty cheap.
    ***You Build It ...I'll Jump It!!!*** OS .18 TZ; Trinity Pipe; HCR Titanium Skid Plates & Bumpers; Futaba S9450 Throttle Servo; Airtronics 94358Z Steering Servo; RPM A-arms & Knuckles; FOC; Lunsford Titanium Hinge Pins,Turnbuckles, Push Rods & Rocker Posts; New Era Roll Bar & Engine Mount; Proline Mashers on Velocity Rims.

  8. #48
    RC Champion
    Join Date
    Dec 2010
    Location
    United K
    Posts
    1,042
    If you guys are so mad about the Apple thing, just stick your old standard 2.4ghz radio in...

  9. #49
    RC Champion
    Join Date
    Jun 2004
    Posts
    1,894
    Quote Originally Posted by slash116vxl View Post
    If you guys are so mad about the Apple thing, just stick your old standard 2.4ghz radio in...
    This would not unlock the full throttle on the ESC.
    ***You Build It ...I'll Jump It!!!*** OS .18 TZ; Trinity Pipe; HCR Titanium Skid Plates & Bumpers; Futaba S9450 Throttle Servo; Airtronics 94358Z Steering Servo; RPM A-arms & Knuckles; FOC; Lunsford Titanium Hinge Pins,Turnbuckles, Push Rods & Rocker Posts; New Era Roll Bar & Engine Mount; Proline Mashers on Velocity Rims.

  10. #50
    RC Qualifier
    Join Date
    Jan 2010
    Location
    Wales. Uk
    Posts
    741
    whats getting on my nerves is all the negative comments, if traxxas had just reinvented the tmaxx or made a 1/16 version of it everyone would be kicking off saying traxxas had copped out and produced another copy blah blah blah.

    Instead Traxxas completely designed something new, exciting, and so different to the norm, its aimed at the few, not the majority, they have to respected for this, this isnt a competition or a bashing rc, its new, its a hybrid.

    I raise my hat to Traxxas on this one, i will be getting one, if traxxas had just rebadged something old you would all be pretty irritated about it, they didnt do that and still people are ranting.

    Apple by the way as much as people hate them provide the most stable os out there by a mile, thats why i suspect they were selected to be a part of this beast.

    This will be my 5th Traxxas vehicle as soon as i can get one.
    Signature removed due to excess awesomeness.

  11. #51
    Marshal Dadx2mj's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2007
    Location
    So Cal
    Posts
    21,301
    Quote Originally Posted by airmaxx23 View Post
    You also had the option of a field programmer so you definitely were not forced into buying a computer with Windows. When you looked at brushless motors you had several options but went with Castle knowing you needed a Windows device or the field programmer. With the XO-1 you have no options other than using an iDevice, again, the 2 scenarios are completely different. They could have catered to almost everyone by having it link with Bluetooth, the technology is pretty cheap.
    Sure seems like you are using a double standard here. IF you buy the XO-1 you buy it knowing you will need the Apple device to unlock the full potential just like Pav knew he would need Castle Link and a PC. BTW the Castle Field Program card only does some of the functions of Castle Link on a PC, the thorttle and brake curves are not available on the Program Card.
    BlindMan Racing
    Rusty - MERV - Pede 4x4-Alias
    SPC Lipo Power

  12. #52
    RC Qualifier
    Join Date
    Apr 2008
    Location
    Indianapolis Indiana
    Posts
    788
    Quote Originally Posted by blue_uscg View Post
    Wish I could plug in my Apple I pad...*L* I been wanting to get an I Pod.. Guess now I have a reason
    Just a thought. You may be able to since the I pad has the same style plug. You would just need to make a bracket to hold it, and buy an extension cable for it.
    Drive it, Break it, Upgrade it

  13. #53
    Marshal ksb51rl's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2006
    Location
    Northern NJ
    Posts
    15,985
    Quote Originally Posted by airmaxx23 View Post
    This would not unlock the full throttle on the ESC.
    Neither would the Field Link card unlock the full potential for pav's CC ESC's. You can't have it both ways - holding one system up to a standard that your suggested alternative cannot meet.

    Quote Originally Posted by jcjhl69 View Post
    Just a thought. You may be able to since the I pad has the same style plug. You would just need to make a bracket to hold it, and buy an extension cable for it.
    Not sure the app coding nor the formatting would work. Apps for these devices are different.
    Last edited by ksb51rl; 12-01-2011 at 03:05 PM. Reason: merge
    Alt-248 on the number pad = °

  14. #54
    RC Turnbuckle Jr. DiggerPede's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2011
    Location
    Texas, Chemical Plant along the Gulf Coast
    Posts
    7,172
    I'm no Apple fanboi, but I do own the 4th gen iPod touch and my wife has an iPad 2 They are great for music players, apps and videos. I'm more of an Android user. I like being able to do what i want with my device, not stuck with what they want you to have. That being said i'm not being negative about using an Apple device for this. I think its great, like many users have said the form factor and the plug is basically same across their devices, iPod/ iPhone. I can handle throwing my Apple device on there and configuring the settings and viewing the dashboard.

    I really dont understand why people are so upset about having to use an Apple device on there Tx. You can always sell the Tx/ Rx when you purchase the truck. I'm sure there will be tons of people wanting their hands on it. I know i will be.
    Weak Revenge
    Strong Forgive
    Intelligent Ignore

  15. #55
    RC Champion
    Join Date
    Jun 2004
    Posts
    1,894
    Quote Originally Posted by ksb51rl View Post
    Neither would the Field Link card unlock the full potential for pav's CC ESC's. You can't have it both ways - holding one system up to a standard that your suggested alternative cannot meet.
    But you'd have full speed without the Field Programmer or Castle Link, you just would not be able to change the other settings. Without an iDevice you will not have full speed with the XO-1.
    ***You Build It ...I'll Jump It!!!*** OS .18 TZ; Trinity Pipe; HCR Titanium Skid Plates & Bumpers; Futaba S9450 Throttle Servo; Airtronics 94358Z Steering Servo; RPM A-arms & Knuckles; FOC; Lunsford Titanium Hinge Pins,Turnbuckles, Push Rods & Rocker Posts; New Era Roll Bar & Engine Mount; Proline Mashers on Velocity Rims.

  16. #56
    RC Champion
    Join Date
    Dec 2010
    Location
    United K
    Posts
    1,042
    Quote Originally Posted by airmaxx23 View Post
    But you'd have full speed without the Field Programmer or Castle Link, you just would not be able to change the other settings. Without an iDevice you will not have full speed with the XO-1.
    Are you sure? I got the impression it was the radio system which limited it, seeing as there was no override on the CC programmer, and anyway how would the ESC know if there was an iDevice plugged in?

  17. #57
    RC Competitor
    Join Date
    Jun 2011
    Location
    Springfield, MO
    Posts
    73
    I see that you can not voice an opinion here on a traxxas forum about a product that is required by traxxas to use to its full potential. So this being said I will not be buying this product. I was looking for another car to buy so I guess I will look at something different. I will still support traxxas unless they implement this into all future products. See I have a mind of my own and I like to make my own decisions. I dont like being told what I can and cant do with things I pay for with my hard earned money.

  18. #58
    Marshal Dadx2mj's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2007
    Location
    So Cal
    Posts
    21,301
    Quote Originally Posted by jayb13 View Post
    I see that you can not voice an opinion here on a traxxas forum about a product that is required by traxxas to use to its full potential. So this being said I will not be buying this product. I was looking for another car to buy so I guess I will look at something different. I will still support traxxas unless they implement this into all future products. See I have a mind of my own and I like to make my own decisions. I dont like being told what I can and cant do with things I pay for with my hard earned money.
    You are very welcome to do with as you please any product you buy and to chose which products you buy or dont buy. You are also allowed to voice an opinion here, lets be honest this forum is full of opinions good and bad. We do however draw a line, there is a difference between voicing an opinion or constructive criticism and going on repeated rants trashing a new product over and over again.
    BlindMan Racing
    Rusty - MERV - Pede 4x4-Alias
    SPC Lipo Power

  19. #59
    RC poster
    Join Date
    Mar 2011
    Posts
    18
    Quote Originally Posted by ksb51rl View Post
    Not sure the app coding nor the formatting would work. Apps for these devices are different.
    As far as I am aware they are the same basic apps, almost every app for an I phone/itouch will work as they all use the same operating system, the downside is the ipad unless its the 3G version does not have a gps(you may or may not need to track the speed, I believe you dont)
    Really the Ipad isnt so much of a tablet, as a large itouch. The Ipad has a slightly faster processor and thats about it really, so if you enlarge the app to fill the whole screen of an ipad it may be a bit pixelated or you can view it ipod/iphone size and be fine. I really see no reason why it wouldnt work.

    Anyways The car itself, engineering wise looks pretty impressive 100mph out of the box is a tough mark to meet, I suspect Castle/Traxxas if the demand is high enough will have a standard link to plug into your computer and unlock it that way, That or if this esc is a for sale as a standalone unit, not in a kit, I cant imagine castle wouldnt 1. Have the esc unlocked out of the box, or 2. have it be compatible with that Castle link.
    Last edited by Jake morrill; 12-01-2011 at 01:33 PM.

  20. #60
    RC Competitor
    Join Date
    Jun 2011
    Location
    Springfield, MO
    Posts
    73
    Ok but it sounded like people were getting hammered for disliking having to be forced to use an " I " product is all. I for one dont use any " I " products and just wish they would have thought this through a little better and had more than one way to unlock all the features. I know I can find someone with a device to use to unlock it ........... but the point is I dont like it being locked down. I know I am sounding like a child on this but its just my opinion. And I really want to see one of these run soon. I mean in person

  21. #61
    RC Competitor
    Join Date
    Sep 2011
    Location
    Greeneville, Tn
    Posts
    83
    Quote Originally Posted by ponie1992 View Post
    I would think they would want to interface the new car with ANY smartphone. I'd be willing to bet there are more Android phone users out there than iPhone. Just my opinion.
    Agree'd
    It may be a great system, but it still forces you to have to buy a Itouch .... I refuse to buy any RC that i have to go out and buy a PHONE, of all things, in order to use... just say this out loud.." I have to buy a PHONE to use my Rc Car"..... that just SOUNDS ridiculous...
    A lot of ppl are saying "if you have the money for the car then buying the phone shouldnt be a big deal".... NOT TRUE... some people (like myself) would have to skimp and scratch and save for a LONG time to get this car, and then once they have it, they STILL have to go out and spend MORE money on a rediuculously priced phone just to get Max. useage from the car. Bottom line is, We shouldnt HAVE to buy a PHONE to go with an RC that cost so much... we just shouldnt have to.
    Just because this is a rich mans hobby does NOT mean that everyone that drives RC is rich.... some of us are dirt poor and just love the hobby.
    2 TMaxx 3.3/TMaxx 2.5R/Slayer Pro 3.3

  22. #62
    RC Champion
    Join Date
    Sep 2010
    Location
    the giant boot. Anybody?
    Posts
    2,727
    Wouldn't it be great if you could get the app on itune's. Just think for whatever the cost, under $40.00 for sure you could just use the cord that is used to link the iphone to the charger or whatever it is. I don't own apple product's, just not for me. But the one time unlock using the itune's app or a buddy's phone would still be sweet. You really only need the phone for the unlock and then it is just the display to run the app. I know when i drive my RC's, there is no way I could be looking at the screen and my car/truck at the same time. The telemetry is stored in the rx right? zthen would we be able to look at it using the app on itune's? If it was available like that. There is a chance they will do something like that if there seem's to be no response to use your ipod or iphone with the setup. The app for just the unlock on itune's would be the way I would go, if I was ever to get this car.
    *Proud Husband of United state's Air Force wife.*

  23. #63
    Marshal Dadx2mj's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2007
    Location
    So Cal
    Posts
    21,301
    It may be a great system, but it still forces you to have to buy a Itouch .... I refuse to buy any RC that i have to go out and buy a PHONE, of all things, in order to use... just say this out loud.." I have to buy a PHONE to use my Rc Car"..... that just SOUNDS ridiculous...
    It sounds ridiculous because is SIMPLY IS NOT TRUE!!!

    You can buy the car take it home charge your batteries and have a 50+ mph 1/7th scale car which is impressive all on it's own. Now if you want the 100 mph speed you need to buy or borrow an IDevice one time, it does not have to be a phone it can be an ITouch and they are inexpensive. All you need is the one time use of a borrowed device to unlock the speed.

    I can understand some people may not like the idea but let's not over state it and make it sound worse than it is.
    BlindMan Racing
    Rusty - MERV - Pede 4x4-Alias
    SPC Lipo Power

  24. #64
    RC Racer
    Join Date
    Aug 2011
    Posts
    119
    it took me almost 3 years to get a grand in my hobby budget. plus ever since i had a go around with apple about my ipod classic i vowed never to own a apple product again. the reason for this is when i got my classic brand new and when i was charging it for the first time the battery started to leak all over the place. besides having a ruined ipod i also destroyed my table too. when i emailed them they wouldn't help me at all. they basically told to go ( you fill in the blank) yourself. i went to the same store i bought my ipo from and threw it through the window before driving off. after that i never owned a apple product again. And before someone says just find some one with one to unlock it. i Dont know anyone that owns either a iphone or a ipod touch.

  25. #65
    RC Champion
    Join Date
    Apr 2009
    Location
    Michigan
    Posts
    2,297
    Quote Originally Posted by pavmentsurfer View Post
    Just to comment on reapers comment... there MAY be ways for me to use Windows on my Mac... but I still have to buy windows... and before you say "just download it"... remember... were staying above board here so everything is fair... that would be stealing. Even IF I'm willing to take the time and effort to install windows on my Macbook Pro I have to buy a copy of windows (over $100). I chose to buy an old laptop I use only for castle link. My point in all of that was that to get full functionality from my expensive ESC's I had to spend more money. I didn't complain, I just did it.
    There are legal ways to get windows for free. The most popular being msdn. There are also free programs that can run windows based programs on various os's without owning windows.
    Oderint Dum Metuant

  26. #66
    RC poster
    Join Date
    Dec 2011
    Posts
    9
    First notice how I replied.....Droid fan here.My assessment of the situation is that there's no possible way Traxxas could have supplied anywhere near the user interface as will be possible with a crapple product cost effectively.I searched Craigslist and found an i touch with a cracked case but otherwise fine for 35.00. That's not much more than a castlelink. People are talking about scraping for the car how bout Traxxas builds the interface and adds 350.00.Then the car would be way outta reach. And who programs their esc constantly. Borrow one set your parameters and go on hating apple. I hate riceburners but I would borrow one to get to the Chevy dealership. Just sayin'

    Sent from my DROID X2 using Tapatalk

  27. #67
    RC Qualifier
    Join Date
    Aug 2011
    Location
    Virginia
    Posts
    826
    Quote Originally Posted by Schuby_racer View Post
    I think an android version would definitely be very much appreciated. And everyone is concerned about plug styles, locations, and shapes and sizes, but there's this very nifty gadget interface that is included on pretty much every phone(smart or dumb), also included on PS3 controllers, and now the remotes on some TV's... It's called blutooth. easy solution to the "too many plugs" issue. And why not have a clamping style holder on the remote, like a universal car mount. All the being said, i am certain without a doubt, that there is definitely product favoritism enforced with the iDevice interface. Either apple is paying traxxas to keep the system proprietary for apple(as they do with so much else), or someone at traxxas has a fetish for iWhatever. The differences in programming the device is not nearly as complicated as some people may think. Too bad, could have been the next best thing.
    Spend some time on Google and search "Android Fragmentation" and you'll realize that Apple is not paying anybody to do anything. If Traxxas really wanted to keep things "proprietary" they would have spent a little more time developing a Tx with a Multi-Function Display. Instead, they went in a different direction to tie in smartphone technology.

    Would it be nice to have an Android app? Sure it would. Will it happen? Possibly. Two HUGE reasons why it makes perfect sense that they didn't go there right away: iOS devices dominate the mobile device market. Android sells more smartphones than Apple sells iPhones today, but Apple has a 2 year head start and also has the iPod Touch. When you add in those devices (none of which have fragmentation issues) Apple dwarfs Android. If you were a product developer, what would you choose? A ready made market with hundreds of millions of devices all written on one source code? Or a smaller market with tens of millions of devices, all written on dozens of subsets of 4 different source codes? That's not a hard choice when you're talking R&D dollars. That is why every software developer out there trying to make it big goes for the win on iOS first. Then, and ONLY then, will they attempt to take on Android.

    Quote Originally Posted by bronzzhorse View Post
    Agree'd
    It may be a great system, but it still forces you to have to buy a Itouch .... I refuse to buy any RC that i have to go out and buy a PHONE, of all things, in order to use... just say this out loud.." I have to buy a PHONE to use my Rc Car"..... that just SOUNDS ridiculous...
    A lot of ppl are saying "if you have the money for the car then buying the phone shouldnt be a big deal".... NOT TRUE... some people (like myself) would have to skimp and scratch and save for a LONG time to get this car, and then once they have it, they STILL have to go out and spend MORE money on a rediuculously priced phone just to get Max. useage from the car. Bottom line is, We shouldnt HAVE to buy a PHONE to go with an RC that cost so much... we just shouldnt have to.
    Just because this is a rich mans hobby does NOT mean that everyone that drives RC is rich.... some of us are dirt poor and just love the hobby.
    Either you just want to hate the product so much you refuse to read, or you don't want to believe what everyone is saying. You don't need the iPhone. You can unlock the ESC on a one time basis with an iPhone or iPod.

    Everyone that will be able to afford this car will know of at least 5 people in their immediate circle that own one of these devices or the other. So if you want to be so elitist that you can't soil your hands with an iPod, have your wife/sister/grandmother do it for you.

    We haven't even started looking on ebay to find a used iPod for $50, but I guess that's too easy, too...

  28. #68
    RC Turnbuckle Jr. Emaxx2.0's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2008
    Location
    West Palm Beach Fl
    Posts
    4,088
    The Bluetooth idea with the phone is actually smart. But seriously people how many times does this need to be said. You do not need a iPhone connected the entire time inordered to run this car at 100mph. To unlock the governor is a 1 time thing. You have friends.or family that can simply do the app, unlock your car and be done with it. LOL
    Simply the best. The beautiful Traxxas SRT and TCP

  29. #69
    RC Qualifier
    Join Date
    Aug 2011
    Location
    Virginia
    Posts
    826
    Quote Originally Posted by jato_builder View Post
    it took me almost 3 years to get a grand in my hobby budget. plus ever since i had a go around with apple about my ipod classic i vowed never to own a apple product again. the reason for this is when i got my classic brand new and when i was charging it for the first time the battery started to leak all over the place. besides having a ruined ipod i also destroyed my table too. when i emailed them they wouldn't help me at all. they basically told to go ( you fill in the blank) yourself. i went to the same store i bought my ipo from and threw it through the window before driving off. after that i never owned a apple product again. And before someone says just find some one with one to unlock it. i Dont know anyone that owns either a iphone or a ipod touch.
    I can't understand why they didn't want to help you, what with the rational way you handled yourself and all...

  30. #70
    RC Qualifier
    Join Date
    Nov 2008
    Location
    At the office installing another box of Internets...
    Posts
    701
    Call me crazy, but it seems to me that if you are against the purchase of the i-device, or have no use for one outside of unlocking the rc car, (like me; I have a BlackBerry and a 'Droid), if you mentioned that fact to the hobby store upon purchase, perhaps one of the employees that happens to own an i-device would be more than willing to unlock it for you.

    Problem solved.
    I shot an elephant in my underwear last night...

  31. #71
    RC Turnbuckle Jr. Emaxx2.0's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2008
    Location
    West Palm Beach Fl
    Posts
    4,088
    Quote Originally Posted by 1fastmr2 View Post
    Traxxas did not need an apple product. They could have built the controler with a touch scree.
    They could have done that can add another 150 to 300 to the high price for a less capable setup and is limited to just one task.
    Simply the best. The beautiful Traxxas SRT and TCP

  32. #72
    RC Competitor
    Join Date
    Sep 2010
    Posts
    94
    Quote Originally Posted by LaTuFu View Post
    Everyone that will be able to afford this car will know of at least 5 people in their immediate circle that own one of these devices or the other.
    While I concede all the points made in support of Traxxas' decision to use the iDevice as a convenient interface, this statement is simply not true. I have the wherewithal to buy a couple of these without ruining my budget right now, and yet the only person I know with an iDevice lives 950 miles away in another state. I think your assertion is based on your subjective experience, which is not the same as fact. Apple devices are not quite as ubiquitous as you imagine.

    It is my hope that once I find someone to unlock the limiter, I will be able to adjust the ESC settings with a PC like other units, so that I can use an entirely different TX/RX. I have asked about this several times and no one seems to know.

  33. #73
    Marshal Dadx2mj's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2007
    Location
    So Cal
    Posts
    21,301
    Quote Originally Posted by PMDRACER View Post
    Call me crazy, but it seems to me that if you are against the purchase of the i-device, or have no use for one outside of unlocking the rc car, (like me; I have a BlackBerry and a 'Droid), if you mentioned that fact to the hobby store upon purchase, perhaps one of the employees that happens to own an i-device would be more than willing to unlock it for you.

    Problem solved.
    Hey Stranger where you been hiding?

    That is a good idea, I know a couple of guys at the hobby store we go to would do it in a heart beat for a customer, good thinking.
    BlindMan Racing
    Rusty - MERV - Pede 4x4-Alias
    SPC Lipo Power

  34. #74
    RC Champion
    Join Date
    Jun 2004
    Posts
    1,894
    Quote Originally Posted by LowFlier View Post
    While I concede all the points made in support of Traxxas' decision to use the iDevice as a convenient interface, this statement is simply not true. I have the wherewithal to buy a couple of these without ruining my budget right now, and yet the only person I know with an iDevice lives 950 miles away in another state. I think your assertion is based on your subjective experience, which is not the same as fact. Apple devices are not quite as ubiquitous as you imagine.

    It is my hope that once I find someone to unlock the limiter, I will be able to adjust the ESC settings with a PC like other units, so that I can use an entirely different TX/RX. I have asked about this several times and no one seems to know.
    Great point and I'm in the same boat as you, most of my family and close friends have an Android device and those that don't have BlackBerry devices.
    ***You Build It ...I'll Jump It!!!*** OS .18 TZ; Trinity Pipe; HCR Titanium Skid Plates & Bumpers; Futaba S9450 Throttle Servo; Airtronics 94358Z Steering Servo; RPM A-arms & Knuckles; FOC; Lunsford Titanium Hinge Pins,Turnbuckles, Push Rods & Rocker Posts; New Era Roll Bar & Engine Mount; Proline Mashers on Velocity Rims.

  35. #75
    RC Turnbuckle Jr. Petertje60's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2011
    Location
    Rotterdam, Netherlands
    Posts
    7,395
    There are apps for the iPhone which are not available for android. And the other way around. Fact is Traxxas chose for a platform. Whining about the need for an iDevice is like whining about the fact you cant bash with the XO-1. I think the people that are going to buy the XO-1 do not have a problem with the fact they need an iDevice.
    The people who find the need for an iDevide the reason for not buying it, are apparently not in the target market for the Traxxas XO-1. You can have any opinion about that. I understand it.
    I am not going to buy an iPhone nor an XO-1 though I find both awesome products.
    Nobody is born with experience

  36. #76
    Marshal ksb51rl's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2006
    Location
    Northern NJ
    Posts
    15,985
    Quote Originally Posted by jayb13 View Post
    I see that you can not voice an opinion here on a traxxas forum about a product that is required by traxxas to use to its full potential. So this being said I will not be buying this product. I was looking for another car to buy so I guess I will look at something different. I will still support traxxas unless they implement this into all future products. See I have a mind of my own and I like to make my own decisions. I dont like being told what I can and cant do with things I pay for with my hard earned money.
    Lots of opinions being voiced here.

    Quote Originally Posted by airmaxx23 View Post
    But you'd have full speed without the Field Programmer or Castle Link, you just would not be able to change the other settings. Without an iDevice you will not have full speed with the XO-1.
    Believe it or not, top speed isn't everything to everybody. It is conceivable that there are other parameters that the Field Link card is not able to adjust that just might be important to others, isn't it? (I write this on my Windows PC with my FL card and CL device and iPod Touch in front of me. )
    Alt-248 on the number pad = °

  37. #77
    RC Champion
    Join Date
    Jun 2004
    Posts
    1,894
    Quote Originally Posted by ksb51rl View Post
    Lots of opinions being voiced here.

    Believe it or not, top speed isn't everything to everybody. It is conceivable that there are other parameters that the Field Link card is not able to adjust that just might be important to others, isn't it? (I write this on my Windows PC with my FL card and CL device and iPod Touch in front of me. )
    Not when you're promoting it as a 100 MPH super-car.

    Sent from my Droid X...
    ***You Build It ...I'll Jump It!!!*** OS .18 TZ; Trinity Pipe; HCR Titanium Skid Plates & Bumpers; Futaba S9450 Throttle Servo; Airtronics 94358Z Steering Servo; RPM A-arms & Knuckles; FOC; Lunsford Titanium Hinge Pins,Turnbuckles, Push Rods & Rocker Posts; New Era Roll Bar & Engine Mount; Proline Mashers on Velocity Rims.

  38. #78
    RC poster
    Join Date
    Dec 2011
    Posts
    9
    Has anyone also thought that in this day and age of suing Mac D's over being fat that 1. Expert only 2.other companies device has to be used to unlock. 3. 16 or older...... is a great way of avoiding lawsuits. I say Brilliant!

    Sent from my DROID X2 using Tapatalk

  39. #79
    Marshal ksb51rl's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2006
    Location
    Northern NJ
    Posts
    15,985
    Give
    It
    A
    Rest

    Saying "Your girlfriend is ugly" once is insensitive.
    Saying "Your girlfriend is ugly" twice is insulting.
    Saying "Your girlfriend is ugly" thrice is begging for trouble.

    You may want to step back from the forums for a little while.
    Alt-248 on the number pad = °

  40. #80
    RC Turnbuckle Jr.
    Join Date
    Oct 2009
    Location
    Springfield, MO
    Posts
    3,681
    Quote Originally Posted by revomikey View Post
    whats getting on my nerves is all the negative comments, if traxxas had just reinvented the tmaxx or made a 1/16 version of it everyone would be kicking off saying traxxas had copped out and produced another copy blah blah blah.

    Instead Traxxas completely designed something new, exciting, and so different to the norm, its aimed at the few, not the majority, they have to respected for this, this isnt a competition or a bashing rc, its new, its a hybrid.

    I raise my hat to Traxxas on this one, i will be getting one, if traxxas had just rebadged something old you would all be pretty irritated about it, they didnt do that and still people are ranting.

    Apple by the way as much as people hate them provide the most stable os out there by a mile, thats why i suspect they were selected to be a part of this beast.

    This will be my 5th Traxxas vehicle as soon as i can get one.


    Agreed!


    There's A LOT to this car.

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •