Page 1 of 7 123 ... LastLast
    RC Turnbuckle Jr. pavmentsurfer's Avatar

To all those unhappy with the iDevice requirement

I had a thought.

So many companies require you to buy a programmer to unlock the advance features of the ESC alone... those programmers don't have anything to do with the radio...

I wonder, if traxxas DIDNT use an iPhone/Ipod touch for this function on the new car and instead built their own touch interface programmer you had to buy separately for say $100... would you be as upset about it? You spend $300 on a castle MMM system and need a computer to control the castle link to program its higher end functions. You need a programmer for ever major ESC brand if you want to use the higher end features. IMO the fact that you need to spend a bit more money to get at the higher end features of this system appears to be secondary to the fact that its an apple device thats required. Which begs the question... what are you mad at... the fact that you have to spend more money or the fact that you'd have to spend it on an APPLE product. And if its the 2nd one... call me... I can easily paint over the apple logo for you so you feel better.
    Pede, Summit,
    ERBE, Rally,
    Motley Crew, 1SQ

RC Qualifier
    I really think its just the Apple part of it for most people. But what I dont understand is why Traxxas wouldnt just put a screen or something on the radio itself and have it work without the Apple product. What is traxxas gaining from having it use Apple products?

I just think it would be nice if we didnt have to buy something seperate is all I am saying. I wish it came RTR with everything needed inside the box.
    3-2wd Stampedes

Quote Originally Posted by mdpbowtech View Post
    I really think its just the Apple part of it for most people. But what I dont understand is why Traxxas wouldnt just put a screen or something on the radio itself and have it work without the Apple product. What is traxxas gaining from having it use Apple products?

I just think it would be nice if we didnt have to buy something seperate is all I am saying. I wish it came RTR with everything needed inside the box.
    Purely speculation on my part but I think it is due to cost. With millions already owning an IDevice they are saving money by not having to include the cost in the initial purchase price. There are those who are going to want this car and not go 100 mph and wont feel the need for the device at all, and many who already own it and would not want to buy it again in the purchase price.
    BlindMan Racing
    Rusty - MERV - Pede 4x4-Alias
    SPC Lipo Power

RC Champion
    If traxxas hadn't said "buy apple" people wouldn't be as bothered by it. I don't like it because of the marketing. I still wouldn't like it if traxxas offered a 100 dollar programer. With all the work they put into the remote and link to apple products it should have just been built into the radio.

I also have to wonder if there is a issue using the apple products will people be allowed to discuss it. Traxxas continues to use castle products but does not allow even the smallest amount of support. And I bet if you gave apple a call they wouldn't have any idea what your talking about.
    Oderint Dum Metuant

RC Champion
    Would've been nice if they also released an Android version of the app. And yes, I have a thing against anything made by Apple.
    http://scriptasylum.com/rc_speed/

RC Champion
    Quote Originally Posted by pavmentsurfer View Post
    I had a thought.

So many companies require you to buy a programmer to unlock the advance features of the ESC alone... those programmers don't have anything to do with the radio...

I wonder, if traxxas DIDNT use an iPhone/Ipod touch for this function on the new car and instead built their own touch interface programmer you had to buy separately for say $100... would you be as upset about it? You spend $300 on a castle MMM system and need a computer to control the castle link to program its higher end functions. You need a programmer for ever major ESC brand if you want to use the higher end features. IMO the fact that you need to spend a bit more money to get at the higher end features of this system appears to be secondary to the fact that its an apple device thats required. Which begs the question... what are you mad at... the fact that you have to spend more money or the fact that you'd have to spend it on an APPLE product. And if its the 2nd one... call me... I can easily paint over the apple logo for you so you feel better.
    For me it's the Apple thing, I do not agree with their business practices and I refuse to support them in any way.
    Last edited by airmaxx23; 11-30-2011 at 04:51 PM.
    ***You Build It ...I'll Jump It!!!*** OS .18 TZ; Trinity Pipe; HCR Titanium Skid Plates & Bumpers; Futaba S9450 Throttle Servo; Airtronics 94358Z Steering Servo; RPM A-arms & Knuckles; FOC; Lunsford Titanium Hinge Pins,Turnbuckles, Push Rods & Rocker Posts; New Era Roll Bar & Engine Mount; Proline Mashers on Velocity Rims.

Going to say this again and probably more times in the future. This is not about Apple!!!! It is a Traxxas forum and yes Traxxas chose to use an Apple device. You can voice your opinion but enough is enough. Posting the same anti Apple rhetoric in every thread and over and over again is not going to set well here. Let's try and keep this as much on the new vehicle and not so much on Apple. If it does not suit you that is fine state you opinion and move on rather than trashing every thread with it.
    BlindMan Racing
    SPC Lipo Power

RC Racer
    Thats just it. If we dont like then move on..Why is that, why cant we have an opinion ? Why doesnt Traxxas have a vocal
    group so they can listen to peoples concerns ? It just seems that Traxxas is saying here it is..If you dont like it then OOO WELL tough .

RC Champion
    Quote Originally Posted by Dadx2mj View Post
    Going to say this again and probably more times in the future. This is not about Apple!!!! It is a Traxxas forum and yes Traxxas chose to use an Apple device. You can voice your opinion but enough is enough. Posting the same anti Apple rhetoric in every thread and over and over again is not going to set well here. Let's try and keep this as much on the new vehicle and not so much on Apple. If it does not suit you that is fine state you opinion and move on rather than trashing every thread with it.
    I was strictly answering the question that was asked in the OP, did you read it?
    ***You Build It ...I'll Jump It!!!*** OS .18 TZ; Trinity Pipe; HCR Titanium Skid Plates & Bumpers; Futaba S9450 Throttle Servo; Airtronics 94358Z Steering Servo; RPM A-arms & Knuckles; FOC; Lunsford Titanium Hinge Pins,Turnbuckles, Push Rods & Rocker Posts; New Era Roll Bar & Engine Mount; Proline Mashers on Velocity Rims.

Quote Originally Posted by airmaxx23 View Post
    I was strictly answering the question that was asked in the OP, did you read it?
    I've read SEVERAL similar posts from you and others. My post was not aimed at you or anyone specifically. My intention was to guide the conversations in a path that wont result in threads being closed or posts deleted.
    BlindMan Racing
    SPC Lipo Power

RC Champion
    I had a thought.

Wow you just said a mouth and a VERY GOOD point.

RC Competitor
    I am 50/50 on this idea. I'll start with what I dont like, TRX radios. I just don't like the feel of them. They feel cheap and they fit un-natural in my hand. I'm hopeing this new radio will change that. That being said, I understand the "cheapness" because they are included with every vehicle. The other thing I don't like is having my $300 phone attached to my radio up on a drivers stand where it could possibly fall. I am very anxious to see how well the radio holds the iDevice.

Now, what I like, a nice big bright high-res touch screen to set things up. I think this will realy make things easier instead of the click wheels other radios have. I also like the idea that the software of the radio can be changed with an update if TRX feels the need to come out with new features. I also think this could bring about an app to adjust the ESC without the need for a certain "Link".

I personaly see this as a huge step forward in radios because it opens the door to so much adjustability and customization. I know I'll be shopping for this new TX when it's available.

Quote Originally Posted by LS6454 View Post
    Thats just it. If we dont like then move on..Why is that, why cant we have an opinion ? Why doesnt Traxxas have a vocal
    group so they can listen to peoples concerns ? It just seems that Traxxas is saying here it is..If you dont like it then OOO WELL tough .

You have expressed you opinion SEVERAL times and been politely warned by admin/mods about repeatedly expressing your opinion and verging on Traxxas bashing. This post is yet another such warning. We try to keep this forum positive and helpful. You are allowed to voice an opinion but you are crossing the line into Traxxas bashing with repeatedly negative comments. If you continue warning points are sure to follow.
    BlindMan Racing
    SPC Lipo Power

RC Racer
    i wouldnt care if they made their own and it costs more cause i wouldnt get it anyway........ but to all those who would..... i have mixed feelings
    Martin
    Shaftsburyslingshot21

Or, maybe you could go to the apple store... Maybe they would let you use one of the display phones, program the limiter and go home.... No cost at all.

Quote Originally Posted by tech10 View Post
    I just called Traxxas and they had told me that the Unlocking is a 1 Time thing. So if you hate Apple just get a Friend with a iPhone or iPod Touch to download the app and unlock for you.
    Pede, Summit,
    ERBE, Rally,
    Motley Crew, 1SQ

RC Racer
    Is the app going to be free?
    Stampede VXL, Stampede 4x4, Rustler VXL

RC Champion
    if you are spending that kind of coin on such a rc/toy I don't think using an Apple device once should be an issue! I don't like Wal-Mart but still have to shop there from time to time.
    Thrash It, Bash it, Break it, No Regrets!!!

RC Qualifier
    regardless of what brand the device its kinda redic to require an additional $200 product to use all the features such as mph and temp. and you know whoever buys it wants to know how fast it goes. the temp gauge on the controler would be a big hit if you had a nitro and if it was accurate.

car cost $1100
    ipod $ 200
    total $1300
    thats about as much as a new 2012 honda crf50

RC Champion
    I would think they would want to interface the new car with ANY smartphone. I'd be willing to bet there are more Android phone users out there than iPhone. Just my opinion.
    Jeremy

RC Champion
    I think they should have included an I pod touch in the box .

RC Qualifier
    Wish I could plug in my Apple I pad...*L* I been wanting to get an I Pod.. Guess now I have a reason
    No you cant drive it
    my RC is owner operated only

RC Qualifier
    For me at least, I'm not all that put off by the Apple interface, they are a uniform size, and pretty popular. For android, the plug location, screen size/resolution and phone size changes. It seems like a cheaper and easier way to get some computing power and a decent sized HD screen on the transmitter without all the R&D that would go into a TX with a built in monitor like the DX3R. If the power-up program would let me trade my 2ch TX for the upgraded one for $100(stated in another thread), and everything was backwards and forwards compatible with my other RXs, then, I'm sold on it. For $100 and a $50 ebay ipod touch it seems like a lot for the money. The ony thing I'm not happy with is the resgistration/unlocking scheme, guess the lawyers talked Traxxas into it, and you have to sign your life away online to get what you paid for out of the XO-1. I understand telemetry needing a 3d party display, but the TX is still programmable without the Apple device, just doesn't have the fancy display, but the locking/unlocking part requiring a 3rd party device, or scrapping the TQ-i in favor of another brand of TX/RX I'm not a fan of.

RC Qualifier
    I think for those many of use that have a Android phone. We will get an app for our phones. Made by Traxxas ( my preferred way ) or someone will create one. At that point I may consider the new TQ.
    2x Stampede VXL
    Stampede 4x4

RC Champion
    Quote Originally Posted by Dknuckles View Post
    If you are spending that kind of coin on such a rc/toy I don't think using an Apple device once should be an issue! I...
    Agreed.

Quote Originally Posted by tech10 View Post
    I just called Traxxas and they had told me that the Unlocking is a 1 Time thing...
    My wife's response to me wanting an X0-1 is that she wants an iphone4. I don't honestly think I will be spending too much time looking at a telemetry screen when my R/C is covering nearly 150 ft/sec.

I have read alot of flack about this car on this board. I know its not what everyone wanted but Traxxas already makes all these monster trucks and SCTs. I actually wanted a touring car or a large scale. I got both. I think alot of the complaints come from this car is outside the box and not for everyone. Its going to take someone who likes on-road; has a budget; has somewhere to run it; and skill to drive it (or more more money for broken parts).
    Last edited by OCD RC; 11-30-2011 at 09:10 PM.
    Pay It Forward.

RC Racer
    I think they chose the Apple iDevices for the reason that they are well proliferated throughout the general public, and as such they are more or less easily accessible to anyone in the RC hobby. Also, from what I hear the App store is more discerning about the apps they publish and their security seems to be better, not to mention free advertising by having their app listed in the largest and most popular app store.

(edit: as alucard0822 mentioned) The iDevices have a standardized communication port, in both the physical form factor and location on the device. Android devices have USB ports, but the location and form factor are not standardized in any way. Featuring a dock on the TQi for a device that can act as both a screen and an ESC programmer lends itself to the one that can fit the most amount of devices that can perform as such with a single hardware connector and software interface (iOS app). I guess this was an unseen implication of open-source...

Cush Drive? Looks and acts kind of like a slipper clutch for an onroad model which usually do not have any. The chassis is aluminum with front canards, a rear diffuser and a motor cooling duct? Aero-tuned chassis are not that popular in RC...what's the last model you've owned that had a diffuser out of the box? The motor is a new Castle 1717 wind; the ESC is a Mamba Monster with a capacitor bank included, along with software tweaks as well (we'll see if it's just the iDevice unlocking requirement, or if there's more). Despite all of this, the vast majority of feedback here and elsewhere is complaining about the iRequirement. It really shows how much people can look past a piece of brilliant engineering and just see something they dislike and complain about it. I am not an Apple fan either and I do not plan on buying any of their products, but that doesn't mean I am completely turned off by the idea of having to have (at the very least) access to an iDevice in order to unlock the full potential of the model. Quite the contrary actually, I think it's brilliant that Traxxas found a way to add such functionality to the new TQi using a piece of consumer electronics that many people already own, or at the very least, have access to.
    Last edited by Shonen; 11-30-2011 at 09:06 PM.

RC Racer
    I like how I don't have to spend a lot to get a screen on my transmitter, but for Droid users I feel your pain. The only thing that I am worried about would be dropping it, so I hope that I can adjust the holder really big and stuff foam in there. Just a thought...
    Slash, Ken Block Fiesta
    Slash 4x4
    Summit

I just had a thought... ill probably post this elsewhere.

Im reading so many comments from people who are Apple haters and won't own an apple device even if it means they can use all these cool features.

It dawned on me... I'm the opposite. I hate windows based devices (and have had nothing but problems with my foray into android devices)... but I still purchased a cheap laptop so I could program my castle link... did I complain about it. No... I just did it because thats what I had to do to use the features of my ESCs... If I could program my ESC's with a Mac would I own the Windows computer... not a chance. If I'm willing to buy a $150 PC... maybe the rest of you can live with owning a $50 Itouch or old, beat up iPhone 3G.
    Pede, Summit,
    ERBE, Rally,
    Motley Crew, 1SQ

I can honesty say I do not like apple products. But I do not have a issue buying a used itouch for this car. I think Traxxas was smart for going the apple route then android( yes I do use android...Samsung infuse 4g and soon a galaxy2s) BC compatibility issues are higher with android. There are soon many different manufactures of android phones that soon many androids are running different ports in different locations, phone size and casing design and some run newer software then others. Plus Traxxas doesnt have to worry about tech support bc your android phone wont support their apps. The iPhones and itouch haven't really changed in design and all can be upgraded to the newer software. Plus you can download music to the itouch via iTunes and jam to it while running the car LOL.
    Last edited by Emaxx2.0; 11-30-2011 at 10:17 PM.
    Simply the best. The beautiful Traxxas SRT and TCP

RC Racer
    IMO the idea of getting my hands on this new technology makes me grin ear to ear. Buying a used itouch is a very small price to pay for something that is so awesome. Traxxas surely did not drop the ball on this one.For the people that think traxxas did drop the ball on this, really? Just because you cant use your so called "better" android device seems like a pretty bad reason to look past all the positives of this new product. I mean why would you not buy an itouch to unlock all the cool features. You cant tell me that you never wanted to see what rpms,speed, and heat your rc is running in real time.Traxxas all the way!

Im reading so many comments from people who are Apple haters and won't own an apple device even if it means they can use all these cool features.

It dawned on me... I'm the opposite. I hate windows based devices (and have had nothing but problems with my foray into android devices)... but I still purchased a cheap laptop so I could program my castle link... did I complain about it. No... I just did it because thats what I had to do to use the features of my ESCs... If I could program my ESC's with a Mac would I own the Windows computer... not a chance. If I'm willing to buy a $150 PC... maybe the rest of you can live with owning a $50 Itouch or old, beat up iPhone 3G.
    But I WANT to clip my X-hundred-dollar Android phone to my transmitter! Why would I want to be reasonable and pay only $50 for a great interface device?

I realize this is almost certainly unfair. Somebody will undoubtedly inform me of the vast array of Android devices available for similar cost. I think the explanation that "iOS apps and products have rigorous standards and there is only 1 verison. There are many different versions of android that all work a bit differently and then with the OS update they are easily and somewhat regularly broken," is very plausible and defensible. No matter what some misguided and inexperienced members think, Traxxas is not in the business of supporting others' products.
    Alt-248 on the number pad =

Quote Originally Posted by ksb51rl View Post
    But I WANT to clip my X-hundred-dollar Android phone to my transmitter! Why would I want to be reasonable and pay only $50 for a great interface device?

I realize this is almost certainly unfair. Somebody will undoubtedly inform me of the vast array of Android devices available for similar cost. I think the explanation that "iOS apps and products have rigorous standards and there is only 1 verison. There are many different versions of android that all work a bit differently and then with the OS update they are easily and somewhat regularly broken," is very plausible and defensible. No matter what some misguided and inexperienced members think, Traxxas is not in the business of supporting others' products.
    Agreed. And these people are complaining like it was just a quick decision to go with Apple rather than other companies. This car was not designed in a day and I know a lot of money, time, meetings and debates went into it before it was introduced earlier today. Look at some of the other builds people have done on this board and I guarantee a lot of thought and time was put into their projects; how much more do you think went into this one? I'm willing to bet nothing was an afterthought with this car.
    The Super Derecho

RC Qualifier
    I love it - Great idea and i love the apple interface with the Radio. Traxxas has done it again
    EREVOs, Slashes, 1/16 Slash, EMAXX, VXL Villain

RC Champion
    Quote Originally Posted by Dadx2mj View Post
    Purely speculation on my part but I think it is due to cost. With millions already owning an IDevice they are saving money by not having to include the cost in the initial purchase price. There are those who are going to want this car and not go 100 mph and wont feel the need for the device at all, and many who already own it and would not want to buy it again in the purchase price.
    I think it has to do with Patents...imo

RC Champion
    Fyi Devs make apps. The market and App store just sell them for a cut of the profit. Get on xda or android central. Make enough noise and they will listen.

HTC Evo 4G on Tapatalk Pro
    Go Patriots!

RC Champion

But you didn't need to buy a new computer. There are are many ways to run windows based programs on a mac or even linux. Once I saw that to unlock everything your "required" to use a apple product the first thing I thought of was the cover of The Who's 1967 album "The Who Sells Out". Most likely they will support other devices but to choose a truly love or hate product as a requirement to fully use a $800.00+ device was not a wise choice. They should have waited for the government to censor the internet. Then there would have been no arguments.
    Oderint Dum Metuant

This is what is puzzling. You have no problem what so ever to drop 750 for ERBE then spend 200 to 300 on lipos yet this car is lets say 800 actual price and comes with 2 3s lipos, a brand new radio design, and exclusive ESC not on the market yet but have a major issue about dropping lets say another 50 to 75 or better yet wasting 3mins using a friends iPhone or itouch to permanently unlock the governor on this car. Its just unlogical to complain about that alone BC you need a apple product. My only complaint is the steering servo. This car deserves a brand new servo with what be so awesome that's also Bluetooth connected.
    Simply the best. The beautiful Traxxas SRT and TCP

RC Champion
    Slept on it.....yep guess its okay with a Device like Iphone to more features in control and to unlock the governor.
    just felt for a moment there the world is a little too Apple focused considering how many other platforms/choices there are

Still thumbs up Traxxas for such a car :-) and the ones I already have :-)
    Slightly Addicted

RC Qualifier
    i think your not going to please everyone, it is an awsome car, plus it bring new stuff to the table that traxxas or any other company for that matter has not done till now i think alot of people are focusing on the negitive or what they think will be negitive because there is not something avalilable now . and there is not alot of info out it was just release yesterday . the only part about having to get an ipod (which is a crap shoot on if you can find one for 50 or less )or an iphone is that i cant get it when i go get the car my local hobby store doesnt carry apple product the do carry castle links and i work for g-force hobbies in delaware and i have programed a customers ecs for the to help them out because of what ever reason they had so to pay 650 to 1000 dollars with or with out lipos isnt the problem in my mind . its the not a one stop deal . im not bashing i hope traxxas doesnt see my post that way just my .02

RC Qualifier
    Rancho Tehama or Red Bluff area or California
    How much does a Iphone cost a month. The service plan or what ever to make the thing work. Or can you buy an I phone and down load the ap without activating it? Only mobile device I have is a pay card phone I keep out in my truck for emergencies. So that's why I am confused about all this.
    Broken parts=New better parts

Quote Originally Posted by nunster View Post
    How much does a Iphone cost a month. The service plan or what ever to make the thing work. Or can you buy an I phone and down load the ap without activating it? Only mobile device I have is a pay card phone I keep out in my truck for emergencies. So that's why I am confused about all this.
    If you already had an IPone you would be all set. If you dont I would not go with the IPhone if this was all you are going to use it for. The Ipod Touch would be the way to go. It is much less expensive and would not need a phone service plan to function.
    BlindMan Racing
    SPC Lipo Power