Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Answers to Some Common TQi Radio System Questions

The TQi radio transmitter works with Apple devices only. There are no plans at this point for Android or other devices. Users will have to purchase an iDevice (used or otherwise) to access the programming.

Compatible iDevices are 2nd-4th gen iPod Touch and iPhone 3G 4S.

The TQi will charge the iDevice.

Once the speed is unlocked you can remove the iDevice.

The speed cannot be unlocked with the Castle Link.

The TQi will be included in the PowerUp program. Retail price is $200, PowerUp price is $100.

The TQi is backwards compatible with the 2218 and 2218x receiver. Telemetry will not be possible with these receivers.
    Alt-248 on the number pad =

RC Champion
    Any idea if they have anything planned for the Android devices? It would kind of suck for people who don't own an ipod or iphone.
    ***You Build It ...I'll Jump It!!!*** OS .18 TZ; Trinity Pipe; HCR Titanium Skid Plates & Bumpers; Futaba S9450 Throttle Servo; Airtronics 94358Z Steering Servo; RPM A-arms & Knuckles; FOC; Lunsford Titanium Hinge Pins,Turnbuckles, Push Rods & Rocker Posts; New Era Roll Bar & Engine Mount; Proline Mashers on Velocity Rims.

Quote Originally Posted by airmaxx23 View Post
    Any idea if they have anything planned for the Android devices? It would kind of suck for people who don't own an ipod or iphone.
    Answered in the first line.

RC Competitor
    Does the speed remain unlocked indefinitely? Will I be able to borrow someone else's iPhone for a minute to unlock and then never need it again?

I'm not interested in buying an Apple device only for this.

RC Champion
    Quote Originally Posted by ksb51rl View Post
    Answered in the first line.
    Thanks, I must have missed it the first time, this is definitely going to keep me from getting one. Oh well...

Quote Originally Posted by LowFlier View Post
    Does the speed remain unlocked indefinitely? Will I be able to borrow someone else's iPhone for a minute to unlock and then never need it again?

You would still need it to be able to access the telemetry, I think this is a big mistake on the part of Traxxas.
    Last edited by airmaxx23; 11-30-2011 at 02:00 PM.
    ***You Build It ...I'll Jump It!!!*** OS .18 TZ; Trinity Pipe; HCR Titanium Skid Plates & Bumpers; Futaba S9450 Throttle Servo; Airtronics 94358Z Steering Servo; RPM A-arms & Knuckles; FOC; Lunsford Titanium Hinge Pins,Turnbuckles, Push Rods & Rocker Posts; New Era Roll Bar & Engine Mount; Proline Mashers on Velocity Rims.

RC Qualifier
    So is everthing that is released in the future going to need an iphone or itouch to be able to use the vehicle to its full potential?
    3-2wd Stampedes

Yes the ESC will remain unlocked. Conversely, you can only LOCK the ESC again with an iDevice.

Quote Originally Posted by airmaxx23 View Post
    Thanks, I must have missed it the first time, this is definitely going to keep me from getting one. Oh well...

You would still need it to be able to access the telemetry, I think this is a big mistake on the part of Traxxas.
    A good used iPod Touch costs less than a telemetry receiver. I don't see the big deal.

Quote Originally Posted by mdpbowtech View Post
    So is everthing that is released in the future going to need an iphone or itouch to be able to use the vehicle to its full potential?
    Do you know something about future releases that I don't?
    Last edited by ksb51rl; 11-30-2011 at 02:05 PM.

RC Qualifier
    Of course not I was not trying to be a smart you know what I was just asking
    3-2wd Stampedes

RC Competitor
    1. Why would you lock it?

2. I already own a phone and an mp3 player. I would have to buy it just for this. I would rather spend money on something useful.

3. Can I unlock the ESC and then switch to a different TX/RX (non-Spekky)?

If I can unlock it and then get full potential without having an Apple device around, I can work with that. If there is a recurring reason to own an Apple device that would be an issue. Telemetry was cool for about 5 minutes. I have no use for it. I already own a fantastic TX.

Note: I'm not trying to bag on the product - I'm trying to find out if I'll be able to use it like I do my other RCs.
    Last edited by LowFlier; 11-30-2011 at 02:12 PM.

RC Champion
    A good used iPod Touch costs less than a telemetry receiver. I don't see the big deal.
    I don't want or need any Apple products, I don't agree with their business practices. I'd rather have the screen/speed unlock available as a separate Traxxas product.

Quote Originally Posted by mdpbowtech View Post
    Of course not I was not trying to be a smart you know what I was just asking
    Neither was I. It was my intention to be clear that I have no idea idea what the capabilities or requirements of any new releases are. Nobody does.
    Last edited by ksb51rl; 11-30-2011 at 02:21 PM.

RC Qualifier
    I agree with airmaxx23
    3-2wd Stampedes

Two thoughts here: maybe it's because it is just another added expense to what is already going to be a VERY expensive vehicle. Or maybe not all of us are fans of Apple products.

I agree that making this a speed governed vehicle is a bit of a gamble, if not a mistake on the part of TRX, but I guess if you want to lead rather than follow, you have to take some risks. But, really... how long will it be before someone figures out how to unlock this without using an Apple device?
    99%er

If we could keep this to a question and answer thread about the existing product, I think it would be most helpful.

RC Competitor
    OK:

2. What other functions require an iProduct?

3. Assuming I'm not interested in telemetry, can I unlock the ESC and then switch to a different TX/RX (non-Spektrum)?

OK:

2. What other functions require an iProduct?

3. Assuming I'm not interested in telemetry, can I unlock the ESC and then switch to a different TX/RX (non-Spektrum)?
    1. Got a friend, spouse, or child who wants to drive it?

2. Too long to answer here. See http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ImRMC...layer_embedded

3. Locking is a feature of the ESC. There should be no reason that would not be possible.

RC Qualifier
    If you don't need lock it, don't do it then. I would lock it if the road I was driving on was a little short to do 100mph on it. I could not recist doing 100, even if I knew the road was too short.

Edit: ksb51rl, why do you type so fast!?
    Last edited by snowslider; 11-30-2011 at 02:51 PM.
    This is a signature.

RC Competitor
    1. Got a friend, spouse, or child who wants to drive it?

2. Too long to answer here. See http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ImRMC...layer_embedded

3. Locking is a feature of the ESC. There should be no reason that would not be possible.
    Thank you. If that's the only reason to lock it then there is no reason to lock it. I like that I would be able to use a different TX/RX pair. However if I cannot access any of the functionality on that video without an Apple product I guess I'll have to do without the car. I appreciate your candor.

RC Champion
    Rather than lock it when someone else drives it why not just turn down the throttle EPA?

RC Champion
    dose this work with other traxxas trucks like the slash and summit? also can it work with none traxxas rc?
    slash
    summit
    rampage mt
    tmaxx
    SCX10Dingokit

Quote Originally Posted by TMaxxcrazy33 View Post
    dose this work with other traxxas trucks like the slash and summit? also can it work with none traxxas rc?
    a. See the video linked in post #16.
    b. There are other RC's?

RC Turnbuckle Jr.
    Will it work with an Ipad? I'm asking this because one guy can drive the car and another can check the speed and other things at the same time... It's safer that way... I guess some kind of long cable is needed...
    200, 202, 420, humor 404, 301 to rc10talk, 410.

Quote Originally Posted by danielhr77 View Post
    Will it work with an Ipad? I'm asking this because one guy can drive the car and another can check the speed and other things at the same time... It's safer that way... I guess some kind of long cable is needed...
    The devices listed are the only ones I know of as yet. What would you need to check? Most data can be stored one way or another.

RC Qualifier
    Thanks for the video link ksb51rl! That explained it pretty well.
    This radio looks sweet. Might be the first time I use the powerup program.

Questions:
    How exactly will the telemetry work on other models if one were to powerup?
    I assume it would come with a temp probe to feed temp data?
    How would one calibrate it to calculate speed and rpm's on another model?
    And can we expect a 3 or 4 channel version?

Quote Originally Posted by rizz0d View Post
    Thanks for the video link ksb51rl! That explained it pretty well. Thank Traxxas!
    This radio looks sweet. Might be the first time I use the powerup program.

Questions:
    How exactly will the telemetry work on other models if one were to powerup? Not all the details are clear yet.
    I assume it would come with a temp probe to feed temp data? Not sure yet.
    How would one calibrate it to calculate speed and rpm's on another model? I believe the Link app allows you to set some of the variables like pinion, spur, etc. A compatible ESC would be able to report motor revolutions.
    And can we expect a 3 or 4 channel version?
    I think it would be silly to not offer at least a 4-ch version for the Summit and other 2-spd transmission trucks.

From Patrick del Castillo:
    This is also our first ESC to implement our "Castle Link Live" operating mode, which reports ESC data in real-time to the receiver without using any external wiring. This allows the ESC data (like RPM, temperature, etc.) to be displayed in real-time on the IPhone/Ipod touch application.
    Sorry I can't fully answer all the questions. We are all learning. Traxxas's excellent support crew should be able to assist you more.

For those that don't like apple. Get a friend to unlock it. Switch out the TX/rx to whatever you want. And get castlelink or field programmer. Plus you can sell the TX/rx here on the traxxas forum. Simple. I don't know how this can even be a issue anymore.
    Simply the best. The beautiful Traxxas SRT and TCP

RC Champion
    Is it waterproof?
    Stop busting my canards!

RC Racer
    I was confused on the telemetry . From what i saw in another post the data is pulled from the esc which means unless they are planning on releasing new esc's for their other models the telemetry funtion would be null/void on anything but the being connected to the new castle esc. That or we will end up with alot of sensors to attach and setup like other telemetry radios, At least if we do end up with the sensors i would hope that traxxas will have inputted all the base ratios in the program to make our lives easier when it comes to setting up mph caculations and such.

RC Turnbuckle Jr.
    Have another question, a good one, is it possible to connect the optidrive sensor to the RPM connector on the receiver, then, install the optidrive sensor on the ERBE's transmission and be able to read the RPMs from the main shaft?
    Last edited by danielhr77; 12-01-2011 at 09:29 AM.

As posted here: http://traxxas.com/products/parts/tr...ink2ch-details

Plug-In Telemetry Sensors and Expander Module
    TQi makes it easy to add telemetry capability to any Traxxas model when you equip the transmitter with the Docking Base and install Traxxas Link on your iOS device. TQi's included 5-channel receiver features ports for Voltage/Temperature and RPM sensors. A third port accepts the Telemetry Expander Module that allows up to 6 additional sensors to be added. There's even a GPS Module for satellite-measured speed (sensors, expander, and GPS module each sold separately). Sensor-ready gear covers or motor mounts custom-fit for your Traxxas vehicle install easily to precisely position the sensors for accurate detection of the "trigger magnets" built into the spur gear or flywheel required for your model. Just install the telemetry components and you're ready to go! The Traxxas Link application automatically detects the sensors installed in the receiver. Go to Telemetry Setup in the Traxxas Link application and touch Sync Now, and TQi automatically detects the sensors installed in the Expander Module. Only Traxxas makes telemetry so easy to install, view, and enjoy.

Telemetry data comes from sensors installed on the model, not the ESC.

The app is pre-loaded with all the parameters for current Traxxas models. So, if you buy a Slash 4X4 and bind it to a TQi with Docking Base and an iOS device, the app is going to say, "That's a Slash 4X4" and automatically load the correct gear ratio, tire diameter, etc., all the specs on the model. If you change the gearing, you go into the app and touch Garage, then Model Setup. Touch the pinion or spur tooth count and a keyboard [pops up to change it. Save, and you're done.

RC Champion
    So when you do the $100 power up do you get the Tx/rx together or just the Tx ?
    Thanks

RC Racer
    Thanks for the clarification Peter !

RC Enthusiast
    Is the Traxxas Link App FREE?

Quote Originally Posted by badbrad222 View Post
    Is the Traxxas Link App FREE?
    Iasked same question and was told it is FREE
    BlindMan Racing
    Rusty - MERV - Pede 4x4-Alias
    SPC Lipo Power

RC Competitor
    Quote Originally Posted by PeterV View Post
    As posted here: http://traxxas.com/products/parts/tr...ink2ch-details

Plug-In Telemetry Sensors and Expander Module
    Not specific to the XO-1, but related - are the new receivers & sensors (GPS, Temp, RPM, etc.) waterproof? If so, they would make nice upgrades for Spartan boat owners

RC Champion
    Not sure if anyone has seen these yet, but theres pictures and such of the Telemetry Accessories and Sensors for the TQi

http://traxxas.com/sites/default/fil...TQi-Insert.pdf

Very cool stuff
    My previous sig conflicted with a forum policy.

RC Turnbuckle Jr.
    Nice Dave! Looks like they gave us a very nice reason to buy the TQi...

Last edited by danielhr77; 12-05-2011 at 07:41 PM.

RC Champion
    Question for the Traxxas folks:

Does the lockout feature interfere with the timing and torque control settings on the ESC itself if the Castle Link is used (and no iDevice is connected)? Meaning, if I set the torque control to X and timing to Y, does the lockout limit them to something like X/2 and Y/2?
    http://scriptasylum.com/rc_speed/

RC Qualifier
    Can SIRI drive this car while I'm on the phone browsing the web and ordering pizza?
    XO-1|SlashUE-MMM2200|Rally-SV2&MERV-MMP w/NEU1112