Thread: Aluminum Parts?

RC Competitor

Aluminum Parts?

I would like to start putting aluminum parts on my rustler, mostly because they are easy well priced Christmas gifts, but I am wondering about the truth behind them. The plastic I have now seems purely invincible and the aluminum would be purely atheistic. Will the aluminum hold up, or will it bend? I don't really race, I usually just make big jumps and go off-roading. I know the plastic gives a little which has helped he out quite a bit I think because if it didn't bend it wouldn't fit in that position without breaking. So, anyone with aluminum experience please share.
    -Thanks

RC Champion
    Alum parts that are good and flashy at the same time would be this for me anyway.

Castor Blocks.
    Bellcrank.
    Bulkhead. - Still on the fence about this one since the one I have seen caused more problems then good from the wreck it was in.
    Tranny Case of course.
    Possibly bearing carriers.
    And I wouldn't do rear tower since it gets hit and scraped a lot but the front would be good for rigidity but I'm ok with my Proline one.

RC Competitor
    Thanks, what do you think of aluminum A-arms, I found some I would really like to get but my main worry is bending them if I catch a wheel on something

I was very against aluminum parts in the beginning but over the years I have ended up with quite a bit of it on my Rusty. IMO bulkheads, caster blocks, and tranny case are must haves. I also have all bearing carriers and shock towers in aluminum along with bell cranks and hex drives. One thing I stongly suggest you keep plastic are the suspension arms, I use RPM.
    BlindMan Racing
    Rusty - MERV - Pede 4x4-Alias
    SPC Lipo Power

RC Turnbuckle Jr. pavmentsurfer's Avatar
    I agree fully with dad... I dont personally use aluminum shock towers for bashing... I prefer plastic there as well as the truck lands upside down alot and the towers take alot of abuse. Ask thedreadedend about that. IMO if your basher and want to try aluminum towers, go with REM... they have a basher warranty that is no questionions asked... you just send back your bend or broken parts and they send you new ones.
    Pede, Summit,
    ERBE, Rally,
    Motley Crew, 1SQ

RC Champion
    Personal experience: I have had aluminum A-arms since shortly after getting my Rusty. I have had some horrific wrecks and never had one bend (yet).

Additionally I use aluminum in lots of other places with no issues. I'd say if you want aluminum, buy aluminum. But as always, YMMV from mine.
    Ever Evolving Rustler