Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Sum~Summit

Sum~Summit

That is all the better name I could come up with "Sum" of you might have been over to the BL Revo forum & have seen my SumRevo thread. http://traxxas.com/forums/showthread...922029-SumRevo. The short of it I bought all the parts off Ebay. I Built a truck with a two speed trans, & left the 775 motor & EVX2 ESC in it for now. Momma like's the slower speed. Have to keep the boss lady happy. I like to take it to a spot I found half mile South of the house, & crawl around with it. I need locking diff's, so I bought another Summit. Never can have to many trucks right. Have been doing "sum" homework on a few upgrades. I haven't ran it yet & I have already tore it down. I have a good start but, sum feedback & (help) is welcome...

Always take alot of pic, of a new truck..

===

===

===

===motor is out already
    Would you go flip my truck back over??

Started with Rit dye, dying all the gray parts. I put all my parts in a big plastic tub, & set it outside. Just incase of a spill, & I think it smells bad. I boil my water, poured it in the tub then add the dye & stir. I now just leave it for about a day, & the next day its nice & black. I am using a few pic from SumRevo..

This is another reason I tore the truck down. The first pic is the two halves the one on the right has already been pulled apart & lubed. I like to pack the bearings with grease. This Q&A comes up, how to take the seals off, bearings. I use a razor blade & put it on the outer edge of the seal, getting under the seal with the corner of the blade & lift. As you can see in the sec pic the first bearing has the seal, second has the seal removed, & the third is packed with grease.

===

RC Qualifier
    What's the little animal that appears in most of the pictures?
    Why can't other people share my opinions?

My figurine's for sizing: that is Frankie aka (Frances) my daughter has a minature dachshund.
    That is Peggy the piggy next to Frances. She is about to go on a diet, like her sweater vest.

Rims & tires:

Summit Canyon's on TRX 5671 Geode 3.8 17mm
    Summit Canyon's on TRX 5671 Geode 3.8 17mm Snow Chains with #12 Jack Chain
    Proline 1160-13 premounted Trencher on Tech 5 / 17mm
    I have been using body scissors & cutting out the lugs on the Trenchers. It should give me some better traction.
    There is 44 per tire, Do'h

===

===

Hubs:

I like running the HPI 17mm hubs. But as you know they will not work on a Traxxas rim, because of the "tooth" on the rim. Two choices grind (dremel) the tooth off or mod (groove) the hub. I used the mill @ work to mill the groove in. I used a .250 endmill & milled down .070.

===Hubs on the left are milled..

===Installing the hub

===

I am not going to go over the complete mod for converting to a 14.4 Dewalt. I'm including three good link's instead.
    http://traxxas.com/forums/showthread...=my%2520dewalt
    ===
    http://traxxas.com/forums/showthread...ghlight=dewalt
    ===
    http://traxxas.com/forums/showthread...20installation

I used 10 ga wire to solder on the brush holders. Then I soldered on two 0.1uf ceramic-disk Capacitor p/n 272-0135 form Radio Shack. Ground the can just a bit to let the solder stick better. Some say you do not need the caps with the 2.4 GHz radio, I put them on just to match the stock motor. Then soldered on EC5 connect's for connecting to the ESC.

===

===

Single Servo:

Aluminum Servo horn Hitec for Revo P/N 10374BK

Castle BEC 10 amp P/N 010-0004-00
    specs & wiring digram:http://www.castlecreations.com/suppo...user_guide.pdf

Hitec HS-7950TH P/N HTS37950
    "Ultra Torque" HS-7950TH is designed to operate on a two cell LiPo Pack. Featuring our high resolution "G2" second generation programmable digital circuit and our indestructible Titanium gears, The HS-7950TH has the performance and durability you've come to expect from a Hitec servo. Other features in the HS-7050TH include a 7.4v optimized coreless motor, integrated heat sink case, and a top case with two hardened steel gear pins supported by axial brass bushing.

The HS-7950TG has been designed for the most demanding hobby applications including the largest aircraft and monster trucks. Featuring a titanic 403oz./in. of torque at 6.0 volts, while still maintaining a respectable 0.15 second transit time

Detailed Specifications
    Motor Type: Coreless
    Bearing Type: Dual BB
    Speed: 0.15 / 0.13 sec (6.0v/7.4v) @ 60 deg.
    Torque: 403 / 486 oz./in. (6.0v/7.4v)

Detailed Feature Descriptions
    # G2 Digital Circuit
    # Titanium Gear Train (MK first gear)
    # Ultra Performance Coreless Motor
    # Heatsink Case
    # (8) O-Rings for Water/Dust/Fuel protection
    # Dual Ball Bearing Supported Output Shaft

I have had this servo in three different trucks & I am thinking it is going to stay in the Summit. I have yet to install the Castle 10 amp BEC. I have been on BrianG site http://www.scriptasylum.com/rc_speed/wiring.html & looked up on how to wire it up. This is how I am think I am going to wire it up. (Feedback) First I know you need to remove the red wire from the ESC Rx wire. I put shrink wrap over the end of the wire. Link how to remove the wire>http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4Ri8i5ITI8o

I set the voltage of the BEC with Castle Link to 6.4. To power the BEC I soldered in a wire with the red & black power wire from the ESC. Two 14ga wires will fit in an EC5 connector. I know the servo Rx wire plugs in to channel one, & the BEC will go in the other channel one. correct?? what do you think. Thanks

===

===
    Last edited by 87 GN; 11-26-2011 at 10:15 PM.

Little update, I got in a bit of a hurry, to get this done & well it has cost me some time. I had the motor wires on backwards. Not a big deal just unsolder the cap off the motor can & switch the brush holders & resolder caps. I had the black wire on the pos of the motor, & red on neg.Do'H It is fixed. Then I had the BEC, motor, etc all hooked-up, truck would not turn on. Finally narrowed it down to a bad BEC. With some PM's & a phone call. So I am working on getting that taken care of...

When I had everthing mounted, the motor shaft is short on the Dewalt.
    stock .720 & Dewalt .620. So what I am thinking, is a spacer & turn the pinion around. maybe..

RC Qualifier
    ok when you say dewalt is it the same dewalt that makes drills? ive seen that a lot on this forum and i want to know what it is and why its so great. sorry i dont know anything about the summit

RC Qualifier
    Quote Originally Posted by jman98 View Post
    i dont know anything about the summit
    http://traxxas.com/forums/showthread...=1#post4600341

RC Qualifier
    Same motor as in the drill. Inexpensive, powerful and even work well under water.

RC Racer
    Looks good, nice job.
    Tekno wing mount, Pro-Line wing, Maximizer X-75s, and Maxx Mashers.

Quote Originally Posted by jman98 View Post
    ok when you say dewalt is it the same dewalt that makes drills? ive seen that a lot on this forum and i want to know what it is and why its so great. sorry i dont know anything about the summit
    Correct on in the same. The three links in post #7 have very detailed how to's ...

If you didn't know already the motor mount needs the hole widened, to mount up the Dewalt. Used the mill at work & endmilled the holes wider. The outer hole get's pretty thin. So I milled a little extra on the opposite hole, & mill some relief for the head of the screw. (or dremel)
    Made a spacer so I could turn the pinion around. There is a prob with doing this. You can't get to the set screw on the pinion when everything is assembled. Not a real big deal really I'm not going to be changing gearing alot. Measured it up & made the spacer .100 thick. Then made cut backs in the spacer. (colored orange) To let the spacer sit flat on the motor. That made the spacing off. So made another spacer .150. The pic's have the .100 spacer, I need to change it out to the .150. You need a little longer screws for the extra width, to mount the motor..
    Gearing: Well according to BrianG speed chart, I am going to start with 17/65 = 20 mph. I have been breaking in the new motor varing speeds, F&R.
    http://www.scriptasylum.com/rc_speed/top_speed.html

===real good pic of the plate & cut backs

===

===The .100 spacer, see how the spur & pinion are not lined up very well..
    Last edited by 87 GN; 12-04-2011 at 09:36 PM.

Motor mount hinge mod...I have posted this before..
    You can get a longer bolt & put the nut on the back side, then you don't need to do all the milling...

Parts needed: Bolt is M4 -.70 x 30 long & a M4-.70 Nylock Nut & a M6 Washer

First I dilled the motor mount hinge #5661 with a 5/32" drill bit all the way thru.
    This will let the M4 bolt go all the way thru the motor mount.

This is the width of the motor mount .761. The bolt is about .075 short, basicaly the thickness of the M6 washer.

So I used a 12mm end mill, to mill a flat for the washer on the motor mount. Or you could use a dremel to take it down .075.
    One on the left is milled & the one on the right is milled & has the washer set in it.

Also I had to sand the motor hinge down. Just enough so the it is below washer.

Motor mounted: This mod makes it easer to set the gear mesh.

===

Last edited by 87 GN; 12-04-2011 at 10:21 PM.

Motor is broken in, have yet to take it out for a run. Still working on the rear diff lock, doesn't want to switch (lock & unlock).

Batteries:
    Picked up a set of 2S 9000mAh 28c. Had to move the L holder for the extra lenght of the batt, but they do fit.

Bought an LVA (Low, Voltage, Alarm) awhile back, much easier to use than a LVC. If you have lipo's you need an LVA if not for the Alarm, but to just check the cells when you have your batts in storage (3.85ish). Instead of using the charger, & only about $4.00.
    I set my LVA @ 3.4 per cell.

To determine which is the BEC side; plug in a single battery into the ESC. If the ESC light flashes on this is the BEC side. If the ESC light does not come on this the Non-BEC side.

Can be found in the Summit FAQ:

IMPORTANT NOTE: Due to the fact that the BEC side of your EVX2 will drain the
    battery voltage faster than the non BEC side your lva or lvc should be attached
    to the BEC connector or to the lipo battery that will be connected to the BEC
    connector. Both lipo batteries should be of the same mah and have similar
    starting voltages to avoid over-discharging the non bec lipo by accident.

Protecting you batts & LVA from moisture. Put it in a man sock,( Non-lubricated) or a balloon & rubber band the end to close it up.

KSB vid of an LVA @ work.

Last edited by 87 GN; 12-07-2011 at 10:56 PM.

RC Competitor
    How did you break your dealt in? Water method? I'm concerned about the water getting into those nice bearings after being submerged for so long.

RC Competitor
    Btw.. I had the same issue with my rear diff-lock last night. I had to fiddle with my servo to get it to work. (98% of the time now). I wonder if the servo is getting weak?

Quote Originally Posted by BLaderunnerx View Post
    How did you break your dealt in? Water method? I'm concerned about the water getting into those nice bearings after being submerged for so long.
    I just took it easy on it for the first few packs.the bearings will be fine just clean and relube after the break in the water break in couldn't hurt but I have never broke in a cordless drill
    So I didn't do this one almost a year now no issues.just clean and relube regularly depending on use.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    Mountains cant stop me
    they have tried

RC Qualifier
    87 GN... Just out of curiosity, do you know what lva that is? Like what company or where to buy. I'm considering going to the spc 8200mah 2s and i'll get a lva

copy ~ paste Ebay this> Lipo Battery Low Voltage Tester 1S-8S Buzzer Alarm

Break in: I ran two sets of 3000 mAh, Forward /Reverse & varied speed, I taped the throttle. Compressed air to clean & lube like J said...
    Last edited by 87 GN; 12-08-2011 at 12:28 PM.

RC Qualifier
    Type ''low voltage alarm'' in the seach field of eBay. And you'll imediately tons of this model sold by lots of vendors at different price level around 4-10$ per unit (different locations... from HK, from USA, from Europe....). There is no brand on top of it (I have 3x the same at home). As I said, use eBay and you'll get hundreds of results with the same product.

[EDIT] too late ^^ 87 GN already replied ^^

RC Qualifier
    Quote Originally Posted by c.greer View Post
    87 GN... Just out of curiosity, do you know what lva that is? Like what company or where to buy. I'm considering going to the spc 8200mah 2s and i'll get a lva
    Like the others have said. Search ebay. Look for the one that looks like this, priced around $4-6. Get 3 or 4 of them, you almost can't have too many.

I highly recommend the 8200s, they run f...o...r...e...v...e...r

I wish I had bought them sooner, to be honest.

RC Qualifier
    okay i'll get a couple probably. Don't you only need to run one though on the BEC side?

Yes that is correct...

RC Qualifier
    Perfect thanks man. Sorry if that has already been discussed.

My steering was reversed, when I put on the Hitec servo. It is an easy fix just reprogram the transmitter.
    Page four http://traxxas.com/sites/default/fil...24GHz-INST.pdf

Menu to move down the tree & set to move across.

press hold menu for three seconds to start programing ~ then menu two green blinks set ~ one green blink set ~ one red blink set ~ press hold menu to return to driving mode.

The transmitter is live during programing, You can test changes that have been made in real time without exiting the menu tree.

Last edited by 87 GN; 12-10-2011 at 04:07 PM.

651 Truck is done & still fighting the rear diff..

===

===

===

===

===Dyed the chassis pic

===

Been driving about every night. I have a set of 2/2s 4700 mAh 25c Lipo's. I have room to put the LVA in the battery compartment, with the battery, works great really. I can get a good hour of drive time. I have a radar of 26 mph in high gear & 14 mph in low. The motor still has all the torque it needs, for crawling. A bit faster than I was thinking it would have been.. but it makes it alot of fun to drive. Just the right mix of speed & torque for me.. I'm running the Hitec HS-7950TH at 7v & it is awsome watching it at work.

===

===

===

===

===

===

===

===

===
    Last edited by 87 GN; 01-26-2012 at 08:35 PM.

RC Champion
    Forgive me if this is a stupid question (I think I must have blinked) but in post 29 you seem to be unboxing a new summit. Is this the same summit with a new body or have purchased a second summit?
    MAN, Use Common Sense
    Funky Gecko, SumVee HDE

How you like the trenchers?
    Im Liking mine more every time I run.
    Truck looks great nice and clean. Not a huge fan of the new style, little too flashy for me

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    Mountains cant stop me
    they have tried

Quote Originally Posted by noir 522 View Post
    Forgive me if this is a stupid question (I think I must have blinked) but in post 29 you seem to be unboxing a new summit. Is this the same summit with a new body or have purchased a second summit?
    same truck..

How you like the trenchers?
    awsome tire, I like them even more after I cut all the center lugs out.
    Thanks..... I like the Yellow. I want to paint a body, I have a good paint idea..
    Last edited by 87 GN; 01-26-2012 at 09:00 PM.

I posted this in my SumRevo..

I noticed the wheel bearing cutting into the HPI hubs. So here is what I came up with & there is a small prob.

I have alot of spare parts & screws, not sure if they came with the Summit bulk heads or the Summit screw kits...

The spacers are MW 6x10x2. This washer is a spacer for the Summit Rocker Arm Post #5354. There is one spacer on the left rear & one on the right front. Here is the prob there is no p/n, & I have yet to find this size of washer. I have looked about everywhere, hardware stores, online, hobby shop, etc. (Might have sound some).. So if you know where I (we) can find a 6x10x2 flat metal washer I need twenty more of them....

installed

===

RC Qualifier
    custom summit crawler parts lol

Thanks.....Yep I have seen that one, $2.69 for a washer crazy, but it is the correct size... If I can't find them for a good price I will build them out of stainless steel, on the lathe at work....maybe

RC Qualifier
    i figured you already googled it but i figured i would share.. yea that price seems a little high.. maybe cheaper on the river or the bay.. (amazon or ebay)

RC Qualifier

No No cheaper lol...I am cheap lol...
    I tried fleebay, Fastenal, lhs, ect.. need to try a farm store, maybe.
    They will be hard to make, but it can be done..
    just time...