Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Buku Clutches

RC Qualifier

Buku Clutches

how are buku clutches? how long will they last? if any one about these, please reply. if you have any other recommendedations pleas post.

RC Competitor
    Just got it, so can't speak for longevity, but product is excellent so far. The composite shoes look to be very durable and customer support/service was top notch.

I do not believe there is another clutch system as tune-able as the Buku.

Here is their info on clutch tuning.

RC Qualifier
    thank you very much precision with accuracy!! appreciate it.

RC Qualifier
    Talk to Al, he has been testing them and has a lot of good things to say about them!

RC Champion
    RR Dave developed the new brass shoes for the basher, they are big in the racing sector of RC and he really wanted to make something to hold up in the bashing enviromemt. Don't make the same mistake I did and put this clutch on a new mill that is not broken in yet. The reason is the shoes need to be broke in and tuned right to get the most out of them, you really can't do that on a brand new mill, P&A is right on the money about Daves service, that is how I got involved with them, he noticed me ordering a set of shoes and remembered my name and knew he had just sent me a kit, he mailed me right away wanting to know why I needed shoes, (you won't get this at the big box stores for sure) I told him what happend and we got to talking and he figured out I was an addict and full-time basher. The Komposite material was just starting development, so he asked me if I would try out the new shoes, the were alum, so he sends me two sets of shoes, one to replace and one to test to test out, I tried them out and really liked them, made him some videos of tuning and setup along with some bashing videos while testing the temps, he loved that edit and we took off. Then he tells me we got a new product to test and a box is on the way, sure enough the next day I get some of the first sets of the brass shoes for the BB, same deal, video,setup,bash, well I lost the tips, sent him pics and and he knew right away what was going on, he had to change his bonding method, and the boxes kept coming and we got to the point I was tearing the gears out of the XL with the LRP .30 because I had been losing so much of the power to the clutchd, these mothers are sick, but I kept testing them in the all steel revo BB, constantly checking temps and making him videos of the state of the shoes every 5 tanks, got to the point of no change at all after 20 tanks that we moved it to a gallon, I was getting sick of pulling the moto in and out too, and finding no change but that was great. Sorry for the long story, so I put titanium gears in the XL and and for the past 3 months have huts been bashing away with no changes, I can see the revo shoes nicely through the vents due to the NE mount, can't see th XL set with out pulling it out. I'm due to do that soon and will post the pics in this thread. Couple of important things to make them last, you need a new bell or a perfectly cleaned one, no alum left behind on the walls, this will ruin the tips. The sanding drum on a dremil will make the bell like new in no time, mark the flywheel real good at the adjuster screws, I use red and black, one stays clear, the clear one is my lowest tension, about 1.75 turns in from flush, the red one is next, moving left to right around around the flywheel the same way they will engage, I've been pretty close to 2.75 most of the time and the black one I run at 3.5. These numbers change depending on the size of your mill and the tune, dude once your close to where you like it after that its just small turns to suite the conditions and what you want the truck to do, for me a .5 turn all around and I'm a wheelie machine, I keep them set to come out of the hole like a rocket on grass, you can change it and mess around to get to your sweet spot, it take like 30 seconds to adjust. One more bit of breaking news, Dave just came out with a couple of cool thread lockers, one for plastic and one is a special wicking TL for the clutches, I've never had any screws come loose in me yet but they can, you don't want to be putting red tight lock in there and stripping out screws, so they came up with a locker that wicks into the threads and can be adjusted, you don't change your tune to use the stuff, very cool. I'm going to try to get back to sleep now,lol, good thread, we can get into tuning more in-depth, lag,stall,good stuff, I can dig up the Buku videos and pit up some pics later, I hope this is of some help to someone, it helped me out, I woke up with my mind racing with real world crap and and talking clutches is has solved that, my eyes are closing again, thanks man!!
    15 IS Enough, Time to thin down the fleet some.

RC Racer
    Plus 1 on what al said. Dave at buku is top notch and I've never had a clutch engage as well as these new brass komposite shoes. Just fantastic
    If you're faster today, you won't be tomorrow.

RC Qualifier
    wow that was a lot, thanks a lot so how re 4 shoe clothes, also how do i know if my other cloth is fried?

RC Racer
    If the truck moves forward with no throttle and your idle is set correctly then your clutch spring os probably broken assuming you're runnersng the stock clutch. Or if the cb does not spin under throttle then the shoes are worn
    If you're faster today, you won't be tomorrow.

RC Qualifier
    Alright I'll check that when I get home thanks
    Can you pass me another screw?

RC Competitor
    What would be a clutch bell to use with the bu-ku??
    If it is still in one piece , hit something! LOL

been there - wrecked that

RC Racer
    WOW hearing a lot of good things Buku brass komposite clutch kit , It dose look sick , gona have to pick one up some time soon

RC Qualifier
    yup there pretty hot

RC Champion
    Quote Originally Posted by crash-master View Post
    That depends on the scale you are running, you want vented for sure, on all my nitro trucks they all have Big Blocks, not mid blocks, those are the same as a 3.3. I've had just about the best luck with the heavy duty HPI Bells, I like them, they have big vents and they all take the same size bearings. 5 of the nitro's have steel spur gears, the XL has close to 3 gallons on this clutch and the bell looks like new. I'm up north setting up the motorhome for the winter, brought the XL, the Conversion and the slash 4x4, I'm going to run them in the morning while the ground is still hard, it's a nasty mud pit here now and no way am I going mudding with no air compressor or water to do afterrun clean up. k'll get plenty of pics when I tear it down

RC Competitor
    Quote Originally Posted by crash-master View Post
    After a bunch of looking around, came back to stock Traxxas bell (running stockish 3.3 engine).

It's vented, cheap, easy to find in all sizes.

RC Qualifier
    Does anybody know how 4shoe clutches hold up

RC Qualifier
    Well thamks everybody for all the input i appreciate it

RC Champion
    I looked on the buku website and saw a few to chose from. Which ones would I need to work on my Revo with the lrp engine? I would need the whole setup and would like the ones that I can adjust
    Nitro rustler 2.5 x2, lrp revo,

RC Champion
    This is a good place to put the tear down pics after 3 gallons of severe bashing with the LRP 30 and big tires, the shoe with the most wear is #1, it grabs first, still amazing there is life in it. The #3 shoe has the most life left in it, it grabs last, so I swapped those two shoes location and reset to the same tension. If I get 3 more gallons on these shoes, and based on the condition of #3 going to the first position it's like starting with a new set of shoes. See you at 4 gallons for an update. Shizzle you want the 1/8 scale setup and call Dave and tell him you want the Brass Komposite Shoes, they are not on the site yet, he'll hook you up. Tell him Al sent ya. Really, Find me a clutch with shoes that look like this after 3 hard gallons and I'm going for another 3. I should have taken a pic of the inside of my bell, it looks like a new bell, that's the key, way less heat, my bearings were still in perfect shape, I put them back in dude. I've been checking the temps constantly and it's mind boggling, the mill with be at 240 and the clutch bell is 112, I used to have them turning blue from heat, that's why bearing fail, alloy shoes don't last as long. This Komposite material is going to take clutches for bashers to a whole new level, way cheaper, way less wrenching and way more bashing and you can change how it reacts in 30 seconds. Unreal, I still have to tear down the XL with the Picco .28 in it. Smaller tires too, I bet it looks even better, I feel even more sure that if you're running a stock 3.3 this clutch, the 10th scale version will last longer than your mill will. It don't matter how you drive it, just break it in right and set it up right, check the screws once in a while and you'll have a monster 3.3 and messing with clutch shoes will be a thing of the past.

Last edited by Al Morancy; 12-04-2011 at 05:57 PM.

RC Qualifier
    so will that help the problem of my wheels turning as fast as my crankshaft??

RC Champion
    Quote Originally Posted by REVORACER24 View Post
    so will that help the problem of my wheels turning as fast as my crankshaft??
    lol RR you got a bad clutch, any clutch would solve that bro. You're locked up hard, even a stock replacement would solve it, that's not the route I'd go but, I put an M2C clutch in my buddies truck without him knowing it, when he came over to bash he thought I put a bigger motor in it, he couldn't believe it, thought he had a different truck. NO Bull. Good clutch is the key.

RC Champion
    nice all i am def getting one of those clutch setups.. thanks
    Nitro rustler 2.5 x2, lrp revo,

RC Qualifier
    Quote Originally Posted by Al Morancy View Post
    lol RR you got a bad clutch, any clutch would solve that bro. You're locked up hard, even a stock replacement would solve it, that's not the route I'd go but, I put an M2C clutch in my buddies truck without him knowing it, when he came over to bash he thought I put a bigger motor in it, he couldn't believe it, thought he had a different truck. NO Bull. Good clutch is the key.
    thanks al looking forward to solving that, its like inPossible to break it in cus it starts to rev up and go reallly fast

RC Champion
    Did the other tear down on the Buku Clutch and made a video, I haven't even looked at it, no editing, these shoes have 3 gallons of fuel on them and they look better than the Revo, I think the difference is the 40's on the Revo and maybe the fact that the Revo has an LRP but there's not a big difference between that and a Picco 28.

RC Champion
    That Buku clutch looks very impressive . That will be my next clutch for sure .
    Thanks Al for that review !!

RC Qualifier
    Hey al do u reckon the 1/10 komposite buku clutch would survive on the picco .28? I haven't shifted my tranny forward and I can't fit a 1/8 clutch on it. Any thoughts? The clutches appear to be pretty sweet and better quality than any clutch that gas been made before, so maybe it will hold up?

RC Champion
    Quote Originally Posted by detoboy1 View Post
    Hey al do u reckon the 1/10 komposite buku clutch would survive on the picco .28? I haven't shifte, d my tranny forward and I can't fit a 1/8 clutch on it. Any thoughts? The clutches appear to be pretty sweet and better quality than any clutch that gas been made before, so maybe it will hold up?
    I have no idea about that deto, holly smokes you're running a BB 28 on a small clutch, lol thats just wrong, you're missing so much fun, Don't waste any money on a tenth scale clutch, geees deto how hard is it to drill 4 holes, set it up right, Is that how they do thing down under? lol just kidding bro, get a big clutch like a new motor.

RC Qualifier
    I love my m2c but after that review I'm gonna have to try the buku when I can afford it! Thanks al.
    Red dot revo rustler with 3.3 neu/MMP mini revo

RC Racer
    I just put on the ofna 3 shoe with the .28. I used the gold springs they were the tighter ones on the kit, for the few minutes that it ran for, they seemed really good. Only cost me 25$ But only time will tell, or gallons will tell :P
    Slayer Pro turned Revo

RC Champion
    Hey Spencer, you can get the same effect as a Buku, the different engagements by using one each of each spring, i've done that with my m2c's forever and its cool as heck, if you just got gold and silver with that clutch you could stick one silver in there, the staggered engagement method lets the motor build up some toque before all the shoes kick in, it really does work nice, Kenny the M2C I sent you is perfect for that way of running it, they come with the 3 different spring tensions. After a while when #1 gets wore down a bit you move it to #3 spring location and its like starting over, you can get more time out of the shoes, I always did anyway. I'm killing the last set of M2C I got from you Kenny and the Mad Maxx Revo is getting a Buku setup, I gotta go tear apart the tranny I just put the new shaft in, somethings up, I kinda know what it is, I was missing a pin on the steel second gear, I pressure fit one in and locktighted it with red, I don't think it made it, lol JB weld the next one. Boy its a whole new game when all the power is getting to the driveline and not being wasted in a clutch.

Quote Originally Posted by spencer_lee1993 View Post
    I just put on the ofna 3 shoe with the .28. I used the gold springs they were the tighter ones on the kit, for the few minutes that it ran for, they seemed really good. Only cost me 25$ But only time will tell, or gallons will tell :P

RC Qualifier
    tried drilling couldnt get it straight enough and didnt want to munt it so i've just been taking it easy, but clutch bell has still turned blue from heat, a 3 shoe m2c lasted about 2 hours of hard bashing lol, about an 1 hour inot my second m2c 3 shoe lol! will try the buku 1/10th as i've already ordered it and will see how we go.

i'll be the guinea pig for you all :P

RC Champion
    Well I'm going to get the chance to prove my thoughts that a Buku 10th scale speed tune with brass komposite shoes will out last a 3.3, I just broke in a brand new Tmaxx for a buddy, not a bad truck really, the ones I wrenched on for the shop had the older motor in them, anyway I have a 10th scale setup here with new brass shoes I'm going to to put on his truck, he's a new bee so I'll give him some wheel time first so he'll see the difference from stock, On my thread I'll track the fuel burned and the state of the shoes after each gallon, or 2 gallons, the way they last I don't need to be tearing that thing down every gallon, I'll tune it with a short stall but with enough lag that he's getting the revs up some to be closer to the power band. Wooot lifetime clutch test. I didn't want to mess with a 3.3 to prove it in one of my rigs, this is perfect.

RC Qualifier
    Buku clutch just came in soooooo excited!!

RC Champion
    Quote Originally Posted by REVORACER24 View Post
    Buku clutch just came in soooooo excited!!
    Follow the directions and brake it in the way he says in there, I color coded all my flywheels and keep track of my settings, I know on my BB's I've been real good at 1.75 turns on 1, 2.5 on 2 and 3.25 on 3, once you get to messing with it you'll see you don't need big adjustments to make big changes in preformance, Have a blast

RC Qualifier
    2 clutches from buku just came in along with a buku big block pipe, 1 clutch for my 3.3 and 1 for my .30vg

RC Enthusiast
    I just tried installing my new Buku clutch that I just got in and now my clutch Bell and spur gear is not lining up because the new flywheel/clutch system is larger than the old one. I have an LRP .28 and installed the Buku with a new 19T HPI Clutch Bell. After shimming the clutch as in directions and with the larger flywheel my spear gear hits the area where the vents are on the HPI clutch bell and my motor is set back as far as it can possible go. I have removed some of the shims from the clutch system but can't remove any more because it takes a certain amount in order for it to function properly. I don't know what else to try.

Does anyone know what I can do to fix this issue?

RC Competitor
    You can make the 4mm tranny mount holes look more like ovals than holes and more the tranny forward. I had to do this to keep my air filter neck from getting eaten by the spur gear.

Make a mark the same distance forward on each hole and file/cut up to it. Pretty quick and easy.

RC Enthusiast
    Thanks guys. Al i sent you a pm..

RC Champion
    Hey send me a pm on how that thing is running, thanks

RC Champion
    After looking at all of Als work with the Buku, that definitely looks like i need to step up and get one!
    Master of Traxxas engine longevity....

RC Enthusiast
    Al, I sent you a pm but not sure if it went through. I still have some tweeking to do before I go bashing this saturday morning. I'll let you know how it goes.