RC poster

Trouble Starting with ez start and pull

I started out with the problem of the ez start/one way bearing slipping I believe on t maxx 3.3. The ez start motor would spin freely and wouldnt turn over the motor but maybe once. I took it apart and swapped the bearing out with the one from my Slayer. The slayer has a pull start and started with either bearing. The new bearing worked and t maxx started right up. I tested it multiple times as i put it back together and worked great. I ran 1 tank through and same exact problem. Took out OWB again and looked it over. Put ez start back together and worked fine again until about a tank of fuel. same thing. After reading some posts on the forum I decided the OWB was dirty so I cleaned and oiled both OWB's as recommended. Thought I had it whipped until I installed ez start again and now it doesnt slip but makes bad grinding sound from ez start gear box. turns over fine with glow plug removed. It runs great when running but once I stop Im done. Could it simply be flooded? I have removed glow plug several times to try to clear engine of fuel. Pinched fuel line and turned over. After 3 days of trying and searching I dont know what else to try. Any help is Appreciated, Thank You

you might be runing too rich and the one way bearing is getting too wet and the glow plug is getting wet and the engine will flood. put it back to factory setting on needles and then tune from there again.
    DEU 8:18 ESV

RC poster
    Yes I started with factory settings the first time getting it running after switching OWB's. I believe it is running a little rich but didnt realize it could cause this much frustration lol. The bearing does seem to have some oil in it from fuel but not a lot. I didnt know if that was normal or not. Im a little afraid to try to start it too much so I dont ruin the EZ Start. Engine seems to be turning over hard. Im gonna try again tomorrow.

RC poster
    Got it running today and thought for sure I fixed the bearing and engine was just flooded after working on it. Ran a half of a tank through it trying to dial in the tuning before I hit a light pole head on lol. Brought it in and got all the suspension fixed up and went to start it and same exact thing Ugghhhh! the EZ start just slips and dosent turn over the engine but maybe 1 turn when you hit the button. Has anyone had this problem just from running too rich? I do have 2 more bearings on their way along with the back plate and shaft. Unless anyone else knows how to fix this thats my next move.

Once the OWB starts to continually slip after a cleaning the only real fix is replacement. Itís best to replace the starter shaft as well when you replace the OWB.

An old trick to get by until replacement is to drill a hole through the ez start housing centered on the OWB and with a can of WD-40 insert the straw in the drilled hole and spray liberally. It will usually get you through a few more starts until it needs another spray.

No slipper/tall gearing/power = broken parts.

RC Champion
    Quote Originally Posted by Snook Man View Post
    Once the OWB starts to continually slip after a cleaning the only real fix is replacement. It’s best to replace the starter shaft as well when you replace the OWB.

An old trick to get by until replacement is to drill a hole through the ez start housing centered on the OWB and with a can of WD-40 insert the straw in the drilled hole and spray liberally. It will usually get you through a few more starts until it needs another spray.

Wouldn't that let more grit in though? I guess you could plug it up.

God answers prayer,pray,believe,NEVER GIVE UP!!!

RC Champion
    Quote Originally Posted by Snook Man View Post
    Once the OWB starts to continually slip after a cleaning the only real fix is replacement. It’s best to replace the starter shaft as well when you replace the OWB.

Double post deleted,
    Chevy

same thing i was going to say, what would you do to plug that up once you do replace the old owb. a new houseing costs about 1/2 what a new owb costs almost. i would just buy another owb instead if its causing that much trouble worth it and you would need to anyways later on more likely

RC Champion
    Quote Originally Posted by mike-susieq1 View Post
    same thing i was going to say, what would you do to plug that up once you do replace the old owb. a new houseing costs about 1/2 what a new owb costs almost. i would just buy another owb instead if its causing that much trouble worth it and you would need to anyways later on more likely
    I was thinking you might could put a dab of RTV sealant on it.
    But I'd personally just wait for the OWB.

Quote Originally Posted by 1979chevy. View Post
    I was thinking you might could put a dab of RTV sealant on it.
    But I'd personally just wait for the OWB.

whats rtv sealant?

RC Champion
    It's a silicone gasket maker. Pretty tough stuff when it cures.

I never had any problems with dirt getting in the small hole and ran them that way for years before moving on from the ez starts. Others would thread a fuel tank nipple in the hole and add a piece of fuel tubing to it. You can then just stick a screw in the fuel tubing and remove it when needing to spray with the WD.
    No slipper/tall gearing/power = broken parts.

RC Champion
    I couldn't see that tiny hole being a problem either.
    erbe emaxx 26maxx s27revo 18tmrevo XXL platinum