Thread: Diff locker

RC Champion

Diff locker

Has anyone used this? What do you guys think of it? Its from Hot Racing I already bought it and am going to give it a try. I know wheelies are more controllable and straighter without whichever wheel gets "lighter" during the wheelie spinning than the other causing shakes and cat-walking. It was only $13 too.

Everything overpowered...

RC Qualifier
    It only good for off roading as it will destroy your turning as an open diff allows one wheel to more then the other. I building up an Bronco pede and it will be for winter and hard off roading. Here's a video I found explaining diffs.
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=K4JhruinbWc
    I found it very helpful.

RC Champion
    Unless your tires have ultimate traction all you will do is donuts, i ran mine for half a pack and put the diff back in.

RC Qualifier
    I tried the same thing on my pede a year ago and ended up doing the same as jaman... with the 3s lipos I use, it was all over the place It was fun for a few runs but I couldn't keep it in a straight line

RC Champion
    Quote Originally Posted by PEDE-OFF View Post
    I tried the same thing on my pede a year ago and ended up doing the same as jaman... with the 3s lipos I use, it was all over the place It was fun for a few runs but I couldn't keep it in a straight line
    As soon as you trigger some power into it the backend spins around, i couldnt even get full thottle before it spun out.

RC Turnbuckle Jr. pavmentsurfer's Avatar
    They are also notorious for KILLING driveshafts... the stress of the wheel that is getting the traction under power or in a turn is transferred through the shafts and they end up breaking.

The VAST majority of people who install lockers take them back out very quickly. A better option (though ALOT more expensive) is the FLM sealed diff with some HEAVY diff fluid. Its 4 times the price but it will last and won't kill your drivetrain.
    Pede, Summit,
    ERBE, Rally,
    Motley Crew, 1SQ

RC Champion
    when i put the diff back in i used 120k wt oil and it works much better.

RC Champion
    Well, luckily I have a complete NIP diff case to use with it, but I mainly run my truck on the street, some dirt, and seldom on grass. It was just a lil something to add to an order.

Pave- that was my exact first though "Its going to kill my shafts"
    I have the HD shafts so Im hoping they will last a while. I did the old "shove a cloth" in the diff to "lock" it and it worked for a short time until the cloth gave and had to re-pack it.

Jaman- I enjoy doughnuts, and with this it will do cyclones, I thought only 4x4 were suppose to do that

Rouleau, aka "Dog River", Saskatchewan, Canada
    I've had the Hot Racing diff locking spool for a while now and it's great with trenchers, as long as you have HD steel cvds. I have stock diffs I run, and they are nearly locked all the time with diff locking grease from badhorsie. I also have the flm all metal diff (leaks) and the swami all metal diff that I am running in my hot racing pede packed with diff locking grease also. At first it was hard to get used to the fish tailing of the truck, but now that I have run a nearly locked diff for so long, I can't stand running a stock diff with stock grease. It takes some getting used to, and a fair amount of driving practice in order to see and get the most benefit out of a locked diff, but it is great for honing throttle control and counter-steering skills.

Sent from Dan's iPad using Tapatalk
    Never trust an "Atom", they make up everything.

PM me if ya wanna bash at Greenwood Bashplex!
    In trail rigs and crawlers, this is a necessity. In the roughest terrian, you will see the most benefit. They also help in high speed runs a lot.
    Wanna bash at Greenwood Bashplex in Pittsburgh ???

RC Champion
    I love my FLM diff and it hasn't leaked once.
    Oderint Dum Metuant

Reaper, what wt oil do you use for bashing? I just tried sealing my stock diff again and its not leaking so far.

Using 125000 wt and it seems just right.

RC Champion
    Quote Originally Posted by rag6 View Post
    Reaper, what wt oil do you use for bashing? I just tried sealing my stock diff again and its not leaking so far.

Using 125000 wt and it seems just right.

I run 30,000. I noticed a big improvement over the stock open diff. Acts more like a sport level limited slip rather than a spool. With my extra short wheelbase it would be hard to run anything close to 125,000.
    Oderint Dum Metuant

RC Champion
    Got it today! some updates this weekend maybe?

Let us know...

RC Champion
    Ill be getting it in this afternoon while I cook lol

Make sure you use good anti cross contamination hand washing... dont want the pede to get salmonella poisoning!

RC Turnbuckle Jr. pavmentsurfer's Avatar
    Also don't want you to accidentally eat the locker...

no wait, the the locker that eats your driveshafts... right, now I've got it.
    Pede, Summit,
    ERBE, Rally,
    Motley Crew, 1SQ

RC Champion
    Add it to the list lol

RC Champion
    So after 3 sessions with it, I have to say I am quite surprised by the locker. As stated biggest improvements were offroad and on straight line runs. But it also, and Im not sure why, but made the truck easier for me to control and drive. Installation was a breeze after having the tranny apart as many times as I have. I also have a spare metal ring diff case so I didnt have to get my hands that dirty. Overall I am very pleased with the outcome for $13. money well spent in my book, compared to the other things ive spent more on and havent been as pleased with. (gunmetal STRC bulk had screw break off in the bulk still, so idk what im going to do about that. Maybe email them and see what they can do.

Rouleau, aka "Dog River", Saskatchewan, Canada
    The diff i run is almost completely locked with diff locking grease and I prefer it this way. I also have the spool in my spare diff just incase I grenade the gears. Some people like it, some love it, and some only use it for specific applications. I always run on 3s and can break loose the tires whenever I need to, and love using the throttle to bring the rear around through turns. The locker also makes it a lot easier to save the truck from rolling over when it's up on two wheels, just like the real monster trucks do!

Sent from Dan's iPad using Tapatalk
    Never trust an "Atom", they make up everything.

RC Champion
    Agree, only I havent found myself on 2 wheels yet, well not counting the back two..