Thread: leopard motor

RC Qualifier

Cool leopard motor

Will a leopard 4082 motor bolt in place of the stock castle? I am thinking about this motor in the 1550kv with the seaking 180amp esc. for my older Spartan boat.

RC Enthusiast
    Yes it will. I run a 1600kv 4082. Honestly the stock tray is very flimsy. You might want to figure putting a wedge of pool noodle at least under the can to support it a but and keep it from flexing.

RC Qualifier
    Quote Originally Posted by Rlopez75 View Post
    Yes it will. I run a 1600kv 4082. Honestly the stock tray is very flimsy. You might want to figure putting a wedge of pool noodle at least under the can to support it a but and keep it from flexing.
    I just ordered the Leopard 4082 in the 1600kv. I was thinking about adding some of the battery foam pads under the motor for support. I have a lot of extra ones and since they are self stick I could build them up to the proper height for support.

RC Qualifier
    I received my new Leopard motor yesterday and installed it. I did build up underneath with the foam pads. This worked out great. I am going to add the Seaking 180 amp esc next and I will be running the Prather 220 prop with this combination. I would love to see 60mph from the boat.

RC Enthusiast
    I would love to see what this does on Radar or GPS . Post upa vid.......

RC Champion
    Quote Originally Posted by SJS View Post
    I received my new Leopard motor yesterday and installed it. I did build up underneath with the foam pads. This worked out great. I am going to add the Seaking 180 amp esc next and I will be running the Prather 220 prop with this combination. I would love to see 60mph from the boat.
    You should be able to achieve 60 mph with the 220, I have run 60 to 63 with the M445 and the 220 on stock esc and Castle motor but did destroy two speed controls in the process. The Seaking 180 will handle the larger props.
    "enjoy your ride"

Dennis

RC Qualifier
    I just ordered my seaking 180a esc . I also ordered the ceramic bearings for my strut. I put the stock castle motor and esc on e-bay for 150.00 and they sold in one hour. I cut out some plastic blocks to build up the tray so the esc will fit. I will submit some pics when I put this all together.

My new esc came in and I started mounting it in the boat. Also the ceramic bearings arrived and I installed them in the strut using loctite to make sure they do not come out. I am taking pictures as I go and I will submit them when I am all done.
    Last edited by cooleocool; 01-13-2012 at 09:08 PM. Reason: post merge

RC Qualifier
    I just got a can of the plastic dip spray and sealed my new esc to waterproof it. The spray works very well. I will be installing the esc once the spray dries. I built up the battery tray with a plastic block so the esc fits. I am mounting the plastic block and the esc with foam tape to the tray. I am still taking pictures and I should be finishing the update very soon.

RC Champion
    Take a video of the 60 mph plus run when you complete the project
    "enjoy your ride"

Dennis

RC Qualifier
    OK it is all done. Here are some pics of the set up. The motor sounds very powerfull. All I have to do now is wait for open water.

RC Champion
    Nice upgrade
    Matthew 7:7

RC Champion
    Does the water jacket come with the motor?
    Matthew 7:7

RC Qualifier
    Quote Originally Posted by 1979chevy. View Post
    Does the water jacket come with the motor?
    Yes it does. I got the motor from OSE

RC Champion
    Things are looking real good. Are you going to put the boat in the water for some 60 mph runs this weekend? What prop are you using? Oops ...I remember you said a Prather 220. I'm sure you will be able to reach 60 mph plus with your new set up. Let us know how it does and some video would be nice.
    "enjoy your ride"

Dennis

RC Qualifier
    The lakes are frozen over right now here in Michigan. I will have to wait for the spring thaw. As soon as I am able to run the boat i will post some videos.

RC Qualifier
    60mph is not an easy task but can be done i have had my first spartan to 67.9mph and its a handfull i was using the same setup you are xcept for the motor and am in the process of building another in which i am shooting for 75mph but good luck and i hope you make it there just dont try to get there in your first run give your rig a good shake down to make sure all is ok because trust me 60mph is hauling the mail with any scale boat post us some video of your runs
    MINE ARE FASTER THAN GPS!!!

RC Enthusiast
    Cant wait for some video !

RC Champion
    Quote Originally Posted by SJS View Post
    The lakes are frozen over right now here in Michigan. I will have to wait for the spring thaw. As soon as I am able to run the boat i will post some videos.
    If your boat starts to talk to you and you hear "I need water to ride on" you may send your boat to me for testing....as the boat pond here in San Diego never freezes over. I would promise to send it back by the spring thaw I'll even post vids and pic's
    "enjoy your ride"

Dennis

RC Qualifier
    Quote Originally Posted by orca44 View Post
    If your boat starts to talk to you and you hear "I need water to ride on" you may send your boat to me for testing....as the boat pond here in San Diego never freezes over. I would promise to send it back by the spring thaw I'll even post vids and pic's
    Thanks for the offer. The wife says send a thousand dollars and she will ship it out overnight to you. Somehow she thinks I spend to much money on it. Imagine that!

RC Qualifier
    i sold my old spartan to a guy in Australia for 1600.00 i made a little money off of it lol
    MINE ARE FASTER THAN GPS!!!

RC Qualifier
    moved the post forward to show the pictures of the leopard motor

RC Competitor
    I just bought an updated hull and have built it with the same ESC - Motor combo pictured above. I choose this combo as I have heard many positive comments about both the Seaking 180 & the leopard, I really hope it breaks 60 mph barrier. I'll be waiting until the water in Wisconsin thaws out to see...

Suzukipro

RC Qualifier
    Quote Originally Posted by suzukipro View Post
    I just bought an updated hull and have built it with the same ESC - Motor combo pictured above. I choose this combo as I have heard many positive comments about both the Seaking 180 & the leopard, I really hope it breaks 60 mph barrier. I'll be waiting until the water in Wisconsin thaws out to see...

Suzukipro
    What props are you going to run?

RC Competitor
    I have a spare prather 215 & 220 and I'm currently running an octura x642 on spartan #1 (stock electronics), the plan is try the 220 and see how it works out with the 1600kv - Leopard 4082 and seaking 180. I ruined some batteries very quickly last season using that prop on the stock castle electronics, it flew though.

Suzukipro

RC Qualifier
    I run the prather 215 on my stock boat and the 220 on the modified boat. I am thinking about getting the octura 445 and 447 to try . Maybe the 640 and 642 also. Did you upgrade your flex cables? I installed Jeff Wohlts .150 cables on both boats.

RC Qualifier
    I am now in the process of updating my sons new boat. I am installing the same Leopard 1600 KV motor and seaking 180 amp ESC that are on my boat. His boat will be identical to mine except I have the old design hull and his is the new design. I will post pictures as soon as I am finished. The lakes have opened up here in northern Michigan and we will be running very soon. I will post some video after we dial the boats in.

RC Qualifier
    I am moving this post forward to show pics of the bearing set up