Results 1 to 20 of 20
  1. #1
    RC Competitor
    Join Date
    Nov 2010
    Posts
    56

    Trying to get past 62 mph, and crashing all the way...video

    Still trying to get past 62 mph with my Rustler, i used some advice from guys here, flipped the RPM bumper upside -down, taped a C battery to the front bumper. It still wants to lift at high speeds. Maybe it needs the 1/8 scale buggy wheels and front wing. Though somebody might find the high speed wrecks entertaining lol http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=KLbBvCIvb8k

  2. #2
    RC Champion
    Join Date
    Apr 2011
    Location
    Columbia, SC
    Posts
    1,887
    Throttle control is your best friend. What gearing? What tires?
    Ever Evolving Rustler

  3. #3
    Marshal Dadx2mj's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2007
    Location
    So Cal
    Posts
    21,253
    My suggestion would be to lower the front of the truck. This will shift more weight forward if you leave the rear as it is now and should help keep the front end on the ground.
    BlindMan Racing
    Rusty - MERV - Pede 4x4-Alias
    SPC Lipo Power

  4. #4
    RC Qualifier
    Join Date
    Aug 2011
    Location
    Virginia
    Posts
    826
    If my calculations are correct, when this baby hits eighty-eight miles per hour... you're gonna see some serious...

  5. #5
    RC Competitor
    Join Date
    Nov 2010
    Posts
    56
    Quote Originally Posted by shagnat View Post
    Throttle control is your best friend. What gearing? What tires?
    Oh yeah, i added it to the description, but anyway, its 48p, 28/83 on HPi geolander 2.2's, I have the throttle expo way up on the radio, seems no matter what at 62 mph its going over..

    Quote Originally Posted by Dadx2mj View Post
    My suggestion would be to lower the front of the truck. This will shift more weight forward if you leave the rear as it is now and should help keep the front end on the ground.
    Oh ok, fuel tubing in the front shocks?

    Quote Originally Posted by LaTuFu View Post
    If my calculations are correct, when this baby hits eighty-eight miles per hour... you're gonna see some serious...
    Or in my case 62 is when the Flux Capacitor kicks in

  6. #6
    Marshal Dadx2mj's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2007
    Location
    So Cal
    Posts
    21,253
    Oh ok, fuel tubing in the front shocks?
    That would do it and is probably the most common way of lowering the front end.
    BlindMan Racing
    Rusty - MERV - Pede 4x4-Alias
    SPC Lipo Power

  7. #7
    RC Qualifier
    Join Date
    Jan 2011
    Location
    Atlanta, Ga.
    Posts
    384
    Loving the 100 ft. lid skids. Reminds me of my Rustler before I put a wheelie bar on it.
    Nitro Rustler, Rustler HW Brushless Motor, ESC

  8. #8
    Marshal Dadx2mj's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2007
    Location
    So Cal
    Posts
    21,253
    Quote Originally Posted by JayMcGill View Post
    Loving the 100 ft. lid skids. Reminds me of my Rustler before I put a wheelie bar on it.
    There lies another good idea. Install a Traxxas wheelie bar upside down and you can set it low enough that the front tires will barely be able to get off the ground.
    BlindMan Racing
    Rusty - MERV - Pede 4x4-Alias
    SPC Lipo Power

  9. #9
    RC Champion
    Join Date
    Aug 2010
    Location
    Inver Grove Heights, MN
    Posts
    1,541
    You can mount it upside down? Im gunna have to try that
    So I taped my hamster to the Pede..

  10. #10
    Marshal Dadx2mj's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2007
    Location
    So Cal
    Posts
    21,253
    Quote Originally Posted by CAPTAIN SPEED. View Post
    You can mount it upside down? Im gunna have to try that
    You certainly can and it makes it ride much lower.
    BlindMan Racing
    Rusty - MERV - Pede 4x4-Alias
    SPC Lipo Power

  11. #11
    RC Competitor
    Join Date
    Nov 2010
    Posts
    56
    Quote Originally Posted by Dadx2mj View Post
    That would do it and is probably the most common way of lowering the front end.
    Gonna try it.

    Quote Originally Posted by JayMcGill View Post
    Loving the 100 ft. lid skids. Reminds me of my Rustler before I put a wheelie bar on it.
    Yeah haha, slight body damage from that.

    Quote Originally Posted by Dadx2mj View Post
    There lies another good idea. Install a Traxxas wheelie bar upside down and you can set it low enough that the front tires will barely be able to get off the ground.
    I have an 2 different wheely bars now, will try!

    Quote Originally Posted by CAPTAIN SPEED. View Post
    You can mount it upside down? Im gunna have to try that
    BUmper or wheely bar? Lol i like your signature! Can i drive it? Remember the last time you did"

    Quote Originally Posted by Dadx2mj View Post
    You certainly can and it makes it ride much lower.

  12. #12
    RC Qualifier
    Join Date
    Jun 2010
    Location
    Australia
    Posts
    363
    I've got mine setup up in such a way that it has barely enough lift in the front to pick the wheels up off the ground. I don't have any pics at the moment as the car is totally stripped down but when I put it all back together I'll post some. As mentioned, wheelie bar is your friend
    Slash 4x4
    Spartan
    Stampede
    Rustler x 3

  13. #13
    RC Turnbuckle Jr. rag6's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2008
    Location
    PM me if ya wanna bash at Greenwood Bashplex in Pittsburgh PA
    Posts
    13,138
    Thats the same speed where I hit a plateau with my Evil Bandit build. After 3 bad crashes and a damaged gps, I gave up the top speed runs.

    Not only does lowering the front shift weight forward, it also creates a "wedge" to increase downforce on the entire top of the truck, and reduces the amount of air getting under the chassis, which most certainly is causing most of the lift.
    Wanna bash at Greenwood Bashplex in Pittsburgh ???

  14. #14
    RC Champion
    Join Date
    Jan 2008
    Posts
    2,866
    I hit 68 on radar with my rusty running 3s and a MM combo. No wing. RPM bumper on it normally and no wheelie bar. I had anacondas on it too. How? Throttle control and a long run up. I rolled out easy and ramped up to speed over a 100ft distance. Now my truck is set up to run on pavement, it's low but not slammed to the ground like most top speed runners. I've got the RPM rear arms on the front and run STRC shock towers that allow more adjustment to allow for my ride height adjustment without using fuel tubing in the shocks.

    In added degree of stupidity I made this run on an everyday residential street with slight curve to it and cars parked on the sides in spots. I've made a run to 80 with my bro-in-law's Onroad 1/8th scale Ofna on the same street and it was insane. Where with the rusty it seemed like the street was fairly wide and lots of room at speed, with the 1/8th scale at 80 the same street seemed as narrow as sidewalk. In this case don't follow my lead, pick an area that is long, wide and free of large objects to run/slide into.
    Brushless 9cell/3s Street Rusty

  15. #15
    RC Competitor
    Join Date
    Nov 2010
    Posts
    56
    Quote Originally Posted by Troy711 View Post
    I've got mine setup up in such a way that it has barely enough lift in the front to pick the wheels up off the ground. I don't have any pics at the moment as the car is totally stripped down but when I put it all back together I'll post some. As mentioned, wheelie bar is your friend
    Thanks for the advice! Lost of different things to try now.

    Quote Originally Posted by rag6 View Post
    Thats the same speed where I hit a plateau with my Evil Bandit build. After 3 bad crashes and a damaged gps, I gave up the top speed runs.

    Not only does lowering the front shift weight forward, it also creates a "wedge" to increase downforce on the entire top of the truck, and reduces the amount of air getting under the chassis, which most certainly is causing most of the lift.
    Some how ive done 64 with my 2wd Slash, I am getting tired of the LONG crashes...I will give it a few more tries.

  16. #16
    RC Enthusiast
    Join Date
    Sep 2011
    Location
    Cincinnati
    Posts
    33
    Try taking the rear wing off and softening the rear suspension some. The Rusty has a lot of drag in the back and tends to lift the front end at around 65 mph. If you can keep the back low and out of the air, it won't backflip so easily.

  17. #17
    RC Competitor
    Join Date
    Nov 2010
    Posts
    56
    Quote Originally Posted by Scooter240 View Post
    Try taking the rear wing off and softening the rear suspension some. The Rusty has a lot of drag in the back and tends to lift the front end at around 65 mph. If you can keep the back low and out of the air, it won't backflip so easily.
    I have the rear body spoiler off already, thats a great tip though. Wow with all this advice its making quite a change to how it was setup in the video. Those crashes are so harsh im gonna make good and sure this time im ready!

  18. #18
    RC Champion
    Join Date
    Feb 2011
    Location
    UK
    Posts
    1,936
    yeah you need a wheelie bar then you might not do a backflip because that thing is just monstrosouly powerful!
    Does more $ = More fun?
    Rustler VXL

  19. #19
    RC Turnbuckle Jr.
    Join Date
    May 2011
    Location
    Fraser Valley, BC Canada
    Posts
    3,137
    Wheelie bar is a definite must as is lowering the front end to create a stance. It almost looks like a few of the crashes were caused by a bump or dip in the road causing it to flip and with no wheelie bar to stop this it just tumbled away.
    I don't have shelf queens, I have bash kings!

  20. #20
    RC Competitor
    Join Date
    Nov 2010
    Posts
    56
    Quote Originally Posted by Captain_Rusty View Post
    Wheelie bar is a definite must as is lowering the front end to create a stance. It almost looks like a few of the crashes were caused by a bump or dip in the road causing it to flip and with no wheelie bar to stop this it just tumbled away.
    That is true..There is another spot i dont know if its good for 70 but im gonna try it.

Tags for this Thread

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •