RC poster

Battery Melt-Down

So yesterday I was driving my Mustang around with the speed pinon and the series connector, and jumped/crashed it pretty hard into a wall... It broke the front bulkhead... oops, anyways I stopped to check out the damage and when I started driving again the car was going much slower than before I stopped. I didn't really think too much about it, I just thought the batteries were getting low, but when I took the batteries out I noticed one of the cells had gotten very hot and melted the casing off around that one cell. I checked the voltage and found it to be 6.39v. The other battery was still at 7.79v. I think I lost a cell in the "hot" battery and I am wondering if anyone else has had a problem like this? Also what are some good aftermarket Nimh batteries that you guys have found.
    Thanx, Matt

Go lipo and you will not turn back.
    The Super Derecho

RC Qualifier
    I've had that happen to at least 4 traxxas batteries, when running them in parallel. I had been using Venom 1600 mah nimh, but have had issues with them. I recently picked up a pair of tenergy 1600mah nimh and absolutly love them, lots of power and constructed very well. they are a bit pricier than the traxxas ones ($40 or so for 2) but you will get more run time and power. I would also suggest not running the car in series, as im sure you have noticed its hard to control at those speeds. I have found w/ the stated batteries in para w/ the speed pinon you get more speed but its easier to controil and you have more throttle control. just my .02 thou
    STRC Slash 4x4
    Hobby Hut Raceway, Audubon Pa.

RC Turnbuckle Jr. Jimmie Neutron's Avatar
    Another benefit of LiPo:
    $40 = 4 batteries shipped to your door.
    Plus you can get a decent charger for around $50.

Seriously... hardly anyone ever looks back and says "Self, I wish we hadn't gone LiPo"
    Whatever it is I just said... I could be wrong.

RC Champion
    are you sure the motor didn't slip & the gears got messed up. so when you started driving again the battery just gave up.
    slash revo vxl x4 rally x2 ped 2wd slash vxl rus

RC Champion
    Quote Originally Posted by Jimmie Neutron View Post
    "Self, I wish we hadn't gone LiPo"
    I don't talk to myself... Or do I?

But I do think that 3S is overkill for me and I should have gone 2S...

RC Qualifier
    I should say that the price i paid for the batteries are from the LHS so the price is a bit higher, u can get them online cheaper. I also think lipo is the way to go i just havent made the jump yet. I just wanted him to know that there are other nimh's out there if you dont want to switch.
    Last edited by Skitlerz; 11-16-2011 at 03:05 PM. Reason: forgot words, hands slower than brain...
    STRC Slash 4x4
    Hobby Hut Raceway, Audubon Pa.

RC poster
    Quote Originally Posted by Double G View Post
    Go lipo and you will not turn back.
    What are you sayin I'm fat? I think I will go Lipo. Just need to save a little money so I can get the batts and charger all at once. Anyone have a good charger in mind? I'm thinking of one that does more than just Lipo batteries. Thanx for all the advice guys.

RC Competitor
    Get them from spcracing. they are SOO cheap and just as good of quality if not better...

Quote Originally Posted by Mr.Boss-Stang View Post
    What are you sayin I'm fat? I think I will go Lipo. Just need to save a little money so I can get the batts and charger all at once. Anyone have a good charger in mind? I'm thinking of one that does more than just Lipo batteries. Thanx for all the advice guys.
    The Thunder AC6 is a popular choice...

Here is my set up:

6 ***** ********* 2200mah 2S 20C @ $10 each shipped
    1 iCharger 206B $125 shipped
    1 24v 75a power supply $30 in materials, built by me
    1 ParaBoard $20
    1 XT60>TRX parallel adapter

I get roughly 1 hour run times with two batteries in parallel.
    I can charge all 6 batteries in less than an hour.

The reason I chose iCharger is because they are the most affordable way to get 20 amps of charging power... AND they are updateable; meaning that they should be able to adapt to future chemistries. There are many more reasons, but those are the two biggest.

RC poster
    This is where I get confused and frankly, a little nervous... What is the role of the "power supply"? The charger does not come with it's own power supply? And what are the advantages of making you own? Lipo just confuses me, but I'm sure I'll learn in time. Thanx for all the info guys.

Power supply lets you charge away from your vehicle.
    You will find most (if not all) high end chargers are DC input only.

The iCharger does not come with a power supply, but they can be purchased separately reasonably. For instance, you can purchase Mean Well 15V 23A Power Supply for $70; which is enough to power most chargers. The main benefit of building your own is cost savings. Here is an example: You can purchase a Mean Well 24V 63A Power Supply for $420, yet I built my more powerful 24v 75a power supply for $30; $390 cheaper.

The Thunder AC6 had its own built in PS.

Please, feel free to PM me with any of your LiPo questions; I will be glad to answer them!

RC Qualifier
    Onyx 235 $80 - includes balance board, TRX leads, built-in AC plus detachable DC connectors.
    Pair of SPC 2s LiPo with TRX plugs $45 shipped.

Big volts, big power, outrageous run times. Haven't looked back. (Thinking about it now, NiMh seems like a pretty mis-matched technology for this purpose, or at least very archaic.)
    Last edited by prototyp; 11-18-2011 at 01:47 AM.
    The prototype project.

RC Champion
    Quote Originally Posted by prototyp View Post
    Onyx 235 $80 - includes balance board, TRX leads, built-in AC plus detachable DC connectors.
    Pair of SPC 2s LiPo with TRX plugs $45 shipped.

Big volts, big power, outrageous run times. Haven't looked back. (Thinking about it now, NiMh seems like a pretty mis-matched technology for this purpose, or at least very archaic.)
    you say mismatched but in a way brushless gave a new lease of life to nimh.
    slash revo vxl x4 rally x2 ped 2wd slash vxl rus

RC Qualifier
    I agree. I went Lipo and haven't even thought of looking back. I run Lipo in all 4 of my 1/16 vehicles, Since I went Lipo my 11 NIMH batteries have just collected dust and been a big big waste of money.
    1/10 ERBE|1/16 MERV|1/16 KB Fiesta|1/16 Rally

RC poster
    Thanx for all the great info guys. I am planning on getting a Lipo set up next week, I need to make it through this week without spending any more money on my car. I posted some pics of the recent mods I did to it in the pictures thread, check it. I will PM you Jimmie with some questions before I make my purchase.