RC Qualifier

traded a tmaxx for slayer

I had a 2.5 tmaxx that i dropped a new 3.3 into. Only ran it once. Traded it for an older slayer. Not a pro. Its a fun teuck bit its giving me trouble.....so i came on here.....and i see people are doing electric conversions? Exactly how do you do that? Im interested in that..i love my 2wd slash and 2wd slash buggy (backslash?)

Any info is appreciated...thanks

well theres two ways you can do it. you can get yourself the tekno conversion kit for like $140 then find a way to lock the transmission 2nd gear only which could be tricky.

the way im going to do it though for mine is to get me a E-Revo chassis, transmission, and motor mount setup then put all my slayer pro parts on it. but yes mine is a pro
    there's no life like a LOW LIFE!
    Drag It!

RC Turnbuckle Jr. humayrayakongkinaon's Avatar

RC Racer
    Why convert it?
    If you're faster today, you won't be tomorrow.

RC Racer
    I'm sure we can troubleshoot the problem with enough info. Or do u just prefer electric?

RC Qualifier
    I prefer electric. This thing is old. The 3.3 takes forever to start....even in a heated area. Takes almost a whole 3000mah battery to start. I like thr fact tgat with electrics, you charge a battery and go. Ive never had luck with nitros. This is my second one. The guy at my LHS said the engine has low compression...which to me says rebuild or replace....which is probly why it takes so long to start, if it even starts....

RC Racer
    Yea to each his own I guess I just enjoy tuning and rebuilding as much as racing or bashing

RC Qualifier
    I get my fill of tuning and rebuilding with my 2 4 wheelers. Lol ive never actually dealt too much with these little nitro engines. I do like the nitro vehicles...they are fun..i do like the way they sound...but for something to do to pass the time, idk.

Really, most people would rather enjoy then wrench, but both nitro trucks ive had have needed attention..lol i didnt start with brand new stuff ...sometimes i wish i did.

It looks like the conversion is $100, no motor or esc. Not to mention that only certain motors work. To replace my 3.3 is $130, or i coukd take a risk and buy off ebay...maybe save like $20. Its a tough call for me....

RC Qualifier
    I wanted to see what you guys were doing...i know its a mix bunch....but i know guys do all kinds of conversions and different things.....

well i plan on using the e revo chassis and transmission. then i was going to use the duel motor setup and run a velinion brushless duel 550 motor. this way its all brushless and waterproof. but the motors, esc, and whatnot are like $300 if i remember right lol
    Drag It!

RC Qualifier
    Yea....that would be cool. Im not sure how much i wanna put into this thing.

RC Racer
    I run a picco .26 red dot on mine and I love it

RC Competitor
    Quote Originally Posted by rockstar7777 View Post
    I had a 2.5 tmaxx that i dropped a new 3.3 into. Only ran it once. Traded it for an older slayer. Not a pro. Its a fun teuck bit its giving me trouble.....so i came on here.....and i see people are doing electric conversions? Exactly how do you do that? Im interested in that..i love my 2wd slash and 2wd slash buggy (backslash?)

Go get your old truck back!!!.

RC Qualifier
    I didnt like my tmaxx....i saw somebody selling an emaxx roller with the twin titan motor mount. I think a twin velineon brushless emaxx would be fun

thats basically what im going to do is run a twin velineon motor setup when i convert my slayer pro to electric
    Drag It!

RC Enthusiast
    I didnt like my tmaxx....i saw somebody selling an emaxx roller with the twin titan motor mount. I think a twin velineon brushless emaxx would be fun
    what town you in? im over by warsaw indiana. we could alway meet up an bash sometime

RC Competitor

Look like to me that you got the bad end of the deal /go get your old truck back.

RC Competitor

Look like to me that you got the bad end of the deal /go get your old truck back.

RC Qualifier
    Quote Originally Posted by chris1018 View Post
    what town you in? im over by warsaw indiana. we could alway meet up an bash sometime
    i live on Valparaiso, indiana.

RC Qualifier
    Well when i first got it it woukd start, but it would still take a bit of time. It blew the header pipe off and never was the same. The truck was adjusted all wrong. I think ill just put a new engjne in it. I just want the easy start, not the pull start....

RC Qualifier
    Well when i first got it it woukd start, but it would still take a bit of time. It blew the header pipe off and never was the same. The truck was adjusted all wrong. I think ill just put a new engjne in it. I just want the easy start, not the pull start....

RC Qualifier
    What engines can you buy that utilize the ez start?

What engines can you buy that utilize the ez start?
    The OS 21TM is a direct replacement for the Traxxas 3.3 and the EZ start will fit it. I'll also say it's cake to tune compared to the 3.3. The 3.3 is a good engine don't get me wrong but I found messing with the tune to get it to run right was just a pain in the rear. I run the 21TM in mine and man what a great little motor that thing is. It's a bit pricey at $269 but it was well worth it.

wow........... i heard someone say pricey before but not that pricey. i was thinking maybe like $150-175............

ive heard the .18 is really good to...... how much those run?
    Drag It!

I think the 18TM for the Revo was discontinued and the 21TM replaced it. You can still get parts for the 18tm but you'd probably have to buy a used motor on flebay. I remember seeing the specs for both motors somewhere and the 21 had a slight hp increase over the 18.

ahhhh got ya.
    Drag It!

RC Qualifier
    Wow...269 is a good chunk of change...a new 3.3 is like half that price....

Yes it is. But you have to figure what you are getting for 269 in comparison to the 3.3. When I was looking for a new motor for mine I was looking at getting another 3.3 but when a fella I work with told me he used to race the 2wd trucks alot he said he always ran nothing but OS motors so I looked into them. I saw the high price tag and was like jeez that's alot for a little motor. The guy at work told me "trust me you won't regret getting it they are great motors" man was he right. This thing is an awesome motor. Easy to tune, fires up within two pulls of the rope and runs like a beast. I couldn't be happier with it. When my truck had the 3.3 in it, it pretty much sat on the shelf collecting dust because it never would run right and I knew it wasn't because of me not tuning it right. Pretty much what I learned was that if you get a high end motor, you'll get high end results. I think mostly the tune issues with the 3.3 comes from the carburetor. You might even look into putting the 21TM 11K carb in the 3.3 and see what results you get. That just might be the ticket.

RC Qualifier
    Well i searched ebay...no luck finding the carb by itself. I did notice there are different versions of the os. 21. A tmaxx version and a revo version. I guess the revo version has some fins removed for clearance. I did also find the engine for around 220. I guess its worth a try. Also probly wouldnt hurt to try nimh batteries in my starter....and leave all my nicds for paper weights..lol.

Since the slayer is so similar to the revo, i should probly go with the revo version? It does say the ez start will fit

RC Qualifier
    I did find an ofna .26 that uses the ez start. Its also cheaper than the os. There a picco engine too...

I did find an ofna .26 that uses the ez start. Its also cheaper than the os. There a picco engine too...
    Yeah the JL red dot .26 and the picco .26 max. The max needs the Revo mount that OFNA makes to fit but the JL red dot I believe is a direct fit like the 21tm. I've heard some good things on this site as well with the OFNA motors.

I believe the only difference in the two 21TM models is the header pipe. Yes you are correct about the Revo version. The motor mounting hardware and everything is all Revo based.

RC Qualifier
    ok, cool. so now im really confused about which way to go. i wanna get out and start ripping away on this beast i love my electrics, but the sound and smoke of a nitro is hard to beat, it puts a smile on my face. im still a big fan of electrics because of ease of use, and low maintenance...but its still a new to me truck, that i havent got too much fun out of yet...lol

ok, cool. so now im really confused about which way to go. i wanna get out and start ripping away on this beast i love my electrics, but the sound and smoke of a nitro is hard to beat, it puts a smile on my face. im still a big fan of electrics because of ease of use, and low maintenance...but its still a new to me truck, that i havent got too much fun out of yet...lol
    It is a tough decision. I went through it myself considering doing an E conversion or staying with a nitro mill. I won't tell you what to do because that is ultimately your choice. But I can say once I made my choice to stay with nitro and got the OS mill, this truck became alot more fun and I enjoy running it a whole lot more than I did.

RC Turnbuckle Jr. humayrayakongkinaon's Avatar
    not just half but two 3.3 engines and some spare change to buy glow plugs.

RC Qualifier
    yeah no kidding.....lol still have no idea what to do with it. getting my tmaxx back isnt an option...not to mention i dont even want it back....lol

RC Racer
    I agree with carguy on the os holding a tune but I've ran both the os .21 and the picco .26s the red dot has much more power than the os and also holds a tune well

RC Qualifier
    so the picco .26 is cheaper thatn the os .21. you like it better? im still unsure what to do with this thing, either sell it, put an engine in it, or convert it to electric....i did find somebody selling a chassis with the coversion kit on it already for less than what the kit costs.....