Before...after to come

Here's a couple pics of the piston and sleeve from my 3.3. I leaned it too much a while back and lost its pinch. It would idle nicely when cool but once it warmed up it stalling. Still had good power all around and the temps were in check, but that stalling issue bugged me and it was easy to spin the flywheel when the engine was cool. So when I tore the truck down for its annual clean-up, shot off $23 via Paypal to Ray A Racing to do a repinch and mailed the piston, sleeve and rod last Wednesday. I've heard he has good turn-around time once he receives it so I'm eagerly waiting for the email saying it's on its way back. I'll post photos once I get it back and since it is going to get cold here--no "warmer" weather in the foreseeable future--I won't know until spring what the results are. He's got good reviews from others in the past and I hope to at least get a few gallons more out of this set. If I do, then it is worth paying 1/2 of a new set (which I have sitting in another block right now).
    Before:
    Exhaust side

Intake/boost side

Here the piston is even with the top of the sleeve. Didn't take much effort to get it to this point.

After:
    To be continued
    Last edited by Double G; 11-14-2011 at 03:47 PM.
    The Super Derecho

RC poster
    It doesnt usually take any effort at all to get it to the top of the sleve unless there is a serious problem or you screwed it up during break in. I hope you can get it working again!

This came from an engine that I bought used with 1.5 gallons on it. Ran beautifully until I was tuning one day and kept turning the HSN clockwise instead of counter-clockwise. As for the piston going to the top of the sleeve, all have stopped prior to going all the way unless I really give it a good push; this one just slid right up.

Just got an email this afternoon:
    Quote Originally Posted by RayAracing
    serviced and return shipped yesturday. usps #wouldn't you like to know liner suface finish condition poor. required honing. came out nice. rebreakin like a new engine rich needle settings first 10 tanks. preheat before each start, especialy in cold climate. thanks! ray
    The Super Derecho

If you can, take a few macros of the sleeve honing G. I am curious as to the cross hatch pattern. I know it’s not easy to get a good pic of the inside though.
    No slipper/tall gearing/power = broken parts.

I'll give it a try. The camera I'm using is my wife's Canon EOS Rebel and I'll try to see what I can get for you. Should be back to me in a couple days.
    The Super Derecho

RC Champion
    You need to do that sleeve mod on this one DG.
    Cads, Insane RC, PWC,and BOAT CORNUCOPIA

Quote Originally Posted by insanity View Post
    You need to do that sleeve mod on this one DG.
    Seriously considering it! I need to find the right Dremel attachments.
    The Super Derecho

RC Racer
    I had the best luck with a small diamond dust cutter. but I opened up the exhaust in the block too,( raised the port to alter the timing slightly) to a more curved at the top port,exhaust ports shaped in this manner flow much better. with the DD rod, it's about bullit proof.
    *Bash Bash Bash* repair/repeat

Got the package about 30 minutes ago. Set up my "studio" and took some pics. Good thing I went for the medium tightness (which I guess is standard, but you can go tight, medium, or light) as the piston now stops about 3/4-7/8 of the way up. He cleaned it up pretty nice and I think the photos turned out pretty well. Snook, also got the cross hatch for you.
    AFTER:

The Super Derecho

RC Champion
    Looks like he did a great job. Now port it.

Thanks G, good pics.
    I was curious to see how much glaze he took off and the angle of the cross hatch to judge the rotation and feed speed of the hone.
    Keep us updated with results.
    No slipper/tall gearing/power = broken parts.

Update

Had a mild winter here but still was a bit chilly to break it in. Just this past week I got through all five tanks of the Traxxas break-in method with no issues. While the wife and kids were napping, packed the SUV with my equipment and hit up a large park down the street. After initial frustration with it not having the off-the-line pop, I realized that I was richening the LSN instead of leaning it. Once I got that set this engine ripped. Even though this was tank 6 & 7 and the original glow plug I didn't let off and the temps were in check. Once I have more time to play and really get it tuned this engine will perform much better than it ever has. So my initial impression is to Ray's repinch. We'll see how long this lasts but for the price I cannot complain.
    The Super Derecho

RC poster
    Hi Double G,

How do they tighten up the old piston and sleeve. Are they re-plating the bore and then hone it to fit the old piston?

Thank you, Ron

Check out Ray's site here. He does a repinch on the sleeve using more than just a simple clamp around the sleeve.
    The Super Derecho

RC Champion
    Thats good the hear it worked well.