Thread: My E-Slayer

RC Qualifier

My E-Slayer

Well, I built this truck a few months ago, but quit playing with it until this week.

A friend of mine when I worked in Louisiana, had a Slash 4x4, and so did I. Then he sold his Slash, and we both bought E-Revo Brushless trucks. Then he went out and bought himself a SC8e, (1/8 scale brushless short course truck for those who don't know), and kept bragging about how it would put a hurting on my Slash. Well, he sold me his E-Revo, and I decided to convert mine to an E-Slayer, so I could hang with his SC8e on the 1/8 scale platform.

Here is that story:

Truck started off like this, as a brand spanking new box stock ERBE.

Then, as an ERBE, it got some of the usual upgrades, RPM arms, Summit driveshafts, KD center shafts, Pro-Line 3.2 Mashers on Maximizer 1/2 Beadlocks.

Then, the big changes began. Slayer Pro 4x4 A-arms, bumpers, toe links, TRX aluminum pushrods, Tekno R/C swaybars, stuff like that.

For the diffs, in order to make it bombproof like that SC8e, I lucked out and found a set of RCM diff cases. These are cases, machined to fit inside the stock Revo/Slayer bulkhead, but hold a 1/8 scale diff. I chose Hot Bodies d8 diffs, and then swapped the stock 43/10 spiral cut ring and pinion, for a closer to Traxxas ratio 31/10 straight cut ring and pinion. I filled the rear with 5k fluid (IIRC) and 10k in the front (again, IIRC).

i also installed an E-Revo center diff, but first, replaced the stock diff cup and spiders, with those that come in the E-Revo front and rear diffs. It has the metal cross brace and spider gear retainers for more strength. I filled the diff with 100k fluid IIRC.

For driveshafts, I chose to use Summit shafts, and cut them down to length so they would fit.

I tossed on some taped Pro-Line buggy sized Bow Ties on some AKA buggy wheels, but hadn't changed any of the suspension settings from when it was a Revo.

She sat waaay to high, and handled like poo.

So I got to tweaking, took out a lot of spring pre-load (still running ERBE stock springs), set up the caster/camber/toe how I wanted it, and she got to handling A LOT better.

Also put in a single JR 9100T steering servo, aluminum steering arm, heavy duty servo saver, Castle motor fan, and a new receiver so I could use my Futaba 3PKS radio.

MMM/2200kv equipped on 4s Lipo, geared 21/40 Mod 1. (38 mph with that setup) And that's how I ran it for a while against that SC8e on my buddies big backyard track. And it held it's own. Hung right there with it.
    Last edited by tbonemcniel; 11-11-2011 at 10:30 PM.
    ERBE Summit E-Slayer
    EMBE
    Rustler
    P4DE Sl4sh

RC Qualifier
    Well, I stopped working in Louisiana, and didn't have that short course buddy to play with anymore, I sold the Slash, and put the E-Slayer up for a while.

Until yesterday, another friend of mine here in South Texas, went out and bought himself a brand new Slash 4x4. Well, you know what that means, E-Slayer came out of retirement!

My old Bow Ties were shot.

So I tossed on some brand new Pro-Line buggy sized Calibers on JConcepts buggy wheels.

Changed the steel toe links to TRX aluminum.

Geared it a little higher (21/36), took a little more pre-load out of the rear, while moving to the inner pushrod hole on the A-arm.

Raised the body posts one hole up from stock E-Revo position, to help keep the tires from rubbing, and to give the appearance of a taller truck, while still maintaining a low ride height and COG.

A-arms are sitting just about level, and she is handling like a dream. Running on hard pack dirt, with an extremely loose, dusty top layer.

So how do ya'll like my E-Slayer. I'm loving the truck again, now that it's come out of retirement!
    Last edited by tbonemcniel; 11-11-2011 at 10:29 PM.
    ERBE Summit E-Slayer
    EMBE
    Rustler
    P4DE Sl4sh

RC Turnbuckle Jr. humayrayakongkinaon's Avatar
    I'm not a slayer fan, but I have to say you have a good looking truck. the way you set it up is just perfect, makes me wanna convert my revo 3.3 into a slayer 3.3.

Very nice conversion. The E revo to E Slayer IMO is the best option, rather than using the stock alum slayer chassis and getting say a Tekno conversion kit. Plus you gain lighter weight which results in better handling with the E revo chassis.

RC poster
    Pretty cool truck, nice job! Is that a normal body, would that body fit on any other trucks like the slash 2wd, or Slash 4wd? Thanks

RC Qualifier
    Thanks for the comments. It's a stock Traxxas Slayer Pro 4x4 body.
    ERBE Summit E-Slayer
    EMBE
    Rustler
    P4DE Sl4sh