Page 1 of 7 123 ... LastLast

New Rustler build

What up all, I have been a proud Stampede owner for quiet some time, but like many I too have the speed bug, So I started building the ol Rustler.

With my Style I like to stick it on the street the way I like it already, Instead of buying, driving-breaking, upgrading. For this I typically start with buying upgraded parts, and put the vehicle together from scratch. Havent bought a whole build kit in a long time, or even a Roller.

So here it is... Start with the Parts I have, which is most of what I need and want. few things left, An Alum rear tower, Alum Tranny, Alum Castor, and front carriers and the rest is there. Oh and the Electronics and 2 3c batterys I will run.

Also will swop the current mock-up servo for a highspeed Savox, or JR. (suggestions are welcome)

I too am gonna be aiming for a 100mph goal, Il start with the MM 2400 KV set-up, and after a bit save it for a ERBE, than put something more mild in the Rusty.

Even though I am aiming for the 3 digits, If I hit 90ish or so with the weight of aluminum I have on this rig, I will be cool with it. I am building it to stay the way it is, which is just a speed Rusty, if my set-up doesnt allow me to hit 3 digits (which im sure it will) il still be happy with a bit lower number, as it will still be the fastest in my neck of the woods

Last but not least, The pics. Most of the parts that I have gathered, in mid build. I will keep updating as she and progress gets along, and post. Since winter is here, its a good season to bust out the builds, dontcha think?

Parts all laid out.

Closer look at individual parts.

Found Black Traxxas Springs tucked away at LHS. Rare site now a days.

And Finally, Her starting to come together. I like a whole color combo, and order to the build. Functional, and to look sharp. Just my thing. Never been a fan of to many mismatched parts (colors) in a vehicle. My other build is all black and red, this will be black, red, and some chrome action.

First step, Dye up Chassis.

Putting Pieces together.

Much More to come!

RC Competitor
    Holly crap you have everything and like 10 of them!!!

This thread has been cleaned up a little. Nothing serious but please keep this rule in imind....

Quote Originally Posted by The Rules
    5. No sexual references. There’s no question that Internet is full of degrading sexual material and comments. This includes sexual innuendoes. The Traxxas online community is intended to be a “G-rated” safe harbor from that type of content. If you’re interested in that kind of material, go someplace else. It will not be tolerated here.
    BlindMan Racing
    Rusty - MERV - Pede 4x4-Alias
    SPC Lipo Power

RC Champion
    I've always said I'm not into RC bling but I have to admit that that STRC shock tower looks gorgeous.
    Pretty please, with sugar on top, clean the RC car

Quote Originally Posted by Dadx2mj View Post
    This thread has been cleaned up a little. Nothing serious but please keep this rule in imind....
    Sure no prob, but I dont recall making such a reference of any sort... Hmm? :s All good though.

RC, Fo real. lol. And u should see my bag of plastic parts. Its ridiculous. I have like 15 sets of arms, 5 front, 7 rears, 5 gearboxes, etc, etc.. Its ridiculous. lol. I have alot in 2wd traxxas. Got bunch of blue aluminum for the 3rd vehicle, RPM carriers front and rear, castors, etc... Ive picked a couple of part lots of classifieds locally and they have given me alot of extra stuff.

@ MR, Wolf. Thanks man. I agree with you, I like a good blend of both. I like to have an aluminum part touch a plastic part, and not usually two aluminum parts touching one anouther. The vehicle below is my pede. This rusty is number 3, and il get started on the forth 2wd after this one.

This is about what it will look like in regards to its apperance, except with added chrome.

This is my Stampede and my first major build. Alot of what this one will look like. Will match eachother and make a good pair.

PM me if ya wanna bash at Greenwood Bashplex!
    Loot, it was not you. I complimented your build using the wrong word. It had to do with one of the words in rule 5, but meant "very attractive" lol.
    Wanna bash at Greenwood Bashplex in Pittsburgh ???

RC Champion
    No it was me I made a reference to your car being very attractive but I used more derogatory terms. Any way your car is gorgeous and I am very curious to the weight of that vehicle when your all done if you don't mind.

Oh okay . I was confused. Well thank you. I will weight it. I should weigh my pedes. Theyl be close, i have me decked out obe, and my stock one.

Il be posting more progress pics tommorow.

RC Champion
    Absoloot- What bank do you rob to get all those parts? Quite the stash if I say so myself. I have 2 sets of the original black springs. They look great on my Pede with BB shocks. Should be a nice looking truck when you are done!!
    Was an xl-5, now its vxl-ent!

RC Champion
    I think we're all excited for you. Question about the shock bodies if you don't mind. Are you using BB shocks but replacing the bodies with the STRC ones or is it more involved than that?

Thanks and best of luck. You've got a smokin' Rustler on your hands.
    Ever Evolving Rustler

RC Qualifier
    awwww no pic updates yet

Quote Originally Posted by dcsally97 View Post
    Absoloot- What bank do you rob to get all those parts? Quite the stash if I say so myself. I have 2 sets of the original black springs. They look great on my Pede with BB shocks. Should be a nice looking truck when you are done!!
    hehe. I know right. Na ive been building up parts for months now, and mostly a Local Hobby shop is changing their inventory, and they are selling everything at cost... 40% off. That and the local web-classifieds has a great RC section, and their is alot of traffic on it. Something like 15-20 new posts daily even though we dont live in a huge city. My recent buy was 80 bucks and I got 96 worth in bellcranks alone, the STRC im using here, a Traxxas Blue one, and a Proline bellcrank new in package. .. It also included lke 7 servos, tons of arms, all those blue aluminum parts in that bin, etc... Details on this thread of where the bulk of the parts came from.

http://traxxas.com/forums/showthread...-Rustler-build!

Quote Originally Posted by shagnat View Post
    I think we're all excited for you. Question about the shock bodies if you don't mind. Are you using BB shocks but replacing the bodies with the STRC ones or is it more involved than that?

Thanks man! im excited to Actually im using Big bores on my pede, the ones in the photo, the last part lot I got, the guy ran TIN Shafts, Big bore caps, and the blue big bores shock limiters on them. So basically big bores with Ultra bodies. Kinda funny. Oh and that parts buy came with the BBs, and those ultras. Nice cuz I was able to return the TIN shafts I still had in package for his build and get other stuff with it.

Here come the pics!

Update. Front end coming together. Added RPM front arms, RPM front body mount, Traxxas Waterproof reciever box, STRC front hinge pins, and CUSTOM Red Plexi-glass ESC mount.

My buddy made this Red Plexi Glass ESC mount. I will either put a Gyro on it, and the ESC on the side, or the ESC on top of there. Will look even better with a black piece in the middle toning down the red alittle. Turned out nice.

Also, FlySky2.4 tiny-reciever installed inside Traxxas Waterproof box. I run my antenna wire differently, and it stays close to watertight. Theres a perfect little mark on the Traxxas waterproof box if you look closely that is a guide to where to run the antenna wire.

Instructions here if someone is interested in doing the same.
    http://traxxas.com/forums/showthread...g-Antenna-Wire

My signature. Traxxas logo like on my Stampede.

Nice thing is the STRC pins. Many dont know this (I sure didnt) That STRC sells these sepertaly. Wether u break one, or just to install one. I dont really have a need for STRC pins on the Rustler, like I do on my Stampede that is going to take jumps. But on the Front/Inner location, its a nice replacement for the suspension pins. (part #2640)

Last edited by Dadx2mj; 11-11-2011 at 06:31 PM. Reason: Removed Retail Link Per Rule #11

Quote Originally Posted by shagnat View Post

Oh, and as for the plans.... I will be using STRC alum bodies, RPM dual stage shock pistons (fit better in the STRC and Ultras than BBs) TIN shafts, and of course Alum caps. So in very similar to BBs, however with a faster bounceback rate piston. RPM dual stage pistions are awesome. Those shocks in the pics, I will be gutting them for parts, and putting some of my own. Il have the shocks done soon.

Btw, Thank you guys for all the kind words and support, I appreciate it. More to come SOON!

I wonder why the rpm pistons dont fit the bb's? Ultras and bb's use the exact same stock pistons.

They do fit rag. They just need a tiny modification. Funny thing, The traxxas BBs are just a hair smaller in diameter actually. Crazy right? One should not mix up their BB pistons, and their ultra shock pistons cuz the are a hair off and will effect dampering.

They can be installed in the BBs with a tiny amount of shaving. No biggie.

Link to URC and Jang explaining whats up, and how to.
    http://www.ultimaterc.com/reviews/rpm-2-stage-pistons/

Texas, Chemical Plant along the Gulf Coast
    Nice job bro. I'm Diggin the build. Wish i had the patience to take pics and build at the same time. I always tell myself I'm going to do it next time and I end up finishing and taking ones of the completed results. LOL

BTW I'll be posting some shots of my EMBE when I get back from my mini vacation.
    Weak Revenge
    Strong Forgive
    Intelligent Ignore

I have some new in package ultra bodies. Gonna have to measure that with the calipers. my bb's do not need rebuilt. Guess the oil can be swapped out. It came up here before, and I think the id's were the same, and the od's were different. Couldnt find the thread.

RC Qualifier
    in a hole.... with my rustler and an electrical outlet
    sweet build man! excited to see the finished product! quick question though....arent aluminum (or metal in general) parts heavier than plastic? if your going for speed why all the excess weight?
    so this one time I ate a lipo.......

Quote Originally Posted by rag6 View Post
    I have some new in package ultra bodies. Gonna have to measure that with the calipers. my bb's do not need rebuilt. Guess the oil can be swapped out. It came up here before, and I think the id's were the same, and the od's were different. Couldnt find the thread.
    Its right there homie. I posted the link up. Scroll all the way down, its at the bottom of the page. Its a fraction of a MM. It just requires the RPM pistons to be sanded down a hair to fit.

Quote Originally Posted by DiggerPede View Post
    Nice job bro. I'm Diggin the build. Wish i had the patience to take pics and build at the same time. I always tell myself I'm going to do it next time and I end up finishing and taking ones of the completed results. LOL

BTW I'll be posting some shots of my EMBE when I get back from my mini vacation.
    Thanks bro im excited about it ool. I got going for me is my ADD. I switch projects alot, build, get up go do something else, than just snap pics and post em on forum time. Lol

Quote Originally Posted by Albino Rustler View Post
    sweet build man! excited to see the finished product! quick question though....arent aluminum (or metal in general) parts heavier than plastic? if your going for speed why all the excess weight?
    Thanks man. Ya it is. Aluminum is stil light weight though. Example, i have a full decked out stampede with about the same amount of metal, and i have one thats bare bone stock with pkastic gears inside the tranny rigjt now. The difference realky isnt big at all. Like they are both real close. Especially with how much power that goes in to them. But for example, draven had to add weight to keep his rusty planted at high speeds.

But overall ur still right, and i mentioned it above. Im building it one and done, if it effects my speed and i lose 5 mphs or something im cool. I dought it will, but if i still hit 90-95ish, il stil be happy. Im just going for fastest in my state lol Even if i dont hit 3 digits, it wil stil blow the shoes off peeps who wil see it swoosh by..

Rouleau, aka "Dog River", Saskatchewan, Canada
    Sweet build so far brotha!  Man, you're way too organized. As you already know, I have a few extra parts kicking around as well, only mine are pretty much all in one big bin, in no order whatsoever. Lol

The aluminum will take a little away from top speed, but can be countered by gearing. Especially since you're going with the low kv motor. Aluminum is nearly twice the weight of the stock plastic, but in the areas over the axles like you have it, the aluminum can be your ticket to keeping the rubber on the road. I recently weighed my Hot Racing Pede and with all the aluminum upgrades, (nearly everything except the arms) it weighs in at 7.3lbs. Nearly twice the 4lb stock weight. But man does it stay planted to the pavement at 50+mph!

Looking forward to seeing the finished product, I know it'll be a sweet unit! Good luck in your reach for triple digits, I'll be rootin for ya!

Oh yeah and I am so envious of your local classifieds! Ever since you sent me the link to check them out, I often have a look and see whats there, and man, it's just not fair! It's like the big daddy of rc swap meets!

Sent from Dan's iPad using Tapatalk
    Never trust an "Atom", they make up everything.

The aluminum will take a little away from top speed
    Actually the weight from aluminum will have no effect on top speed. It will effect how fast the accelerates so it may take a little longer distance to reach the top speed but the eventual top speed should be the same regardless of how much weight you add with aluminum parts.
    BlindMan Racing
    SPC Lipo Power

RC Champion
    If anything it would give you slightly more speed due to greater momentum IMO
    Does more $ = More fun?
    Rustler VXL

Quote Originally Posted by Dadx2mj View Post
    Actually the weight from aluminum will have no effect on top speed. It will effect how fast the accelerates so it may take a little longer distance to reach the top speed but the eventual top speed should be the same regardless of how much weight you add with aluminum parts.
    This may very well be true....if the battery pack has limitless output and the motor doesn't overheat too soon from the extra weight. We're talking triple digits here, so the initial one or two passes might be the only chance to hit the mark before the performance deteriorates from lessor amperage. So the weight of the truck will indeed make a difference in top speed because the faster you can get to that speed before the power of the pack declines or the heat becomes too much, the more chance you will have in reaching the highest speed possible.

It is the law of physics and it is not what most people would assume to be true but it is factual that weight does not effect top speed only how fast the truck can accelerate. In the case of a Rusty it has been shown many time if anything the extra weight of having a lot of aluminum helps keep the truck on all four tires and does not slow down the eventual top speed. Trucks set up to go these ultra speeds tend to have ample amounts of power to over come the weight, it is usually aero and handling that is the limiting factor.
    BlindMan Racing
    SPC Lipo Power

It will lessen the amount of pack runtime to achieve that top speed, will increase temps and will also increase the amount of distance required to get to the highest possible speed.

Look at the graphs of amps used on speed runs, and see there is way more used during acceleration than close to the top speed. The apms used on top speed doesnt even need a heavy battery.
    Nobody is born with experience

I completely understand the amperage draws of brushless motors, and you would still need enough battery to get up in speed first without needing an airport runway and matching radio range to back it up. Holding the speed is one thing, but getting to that speed is a whole other factor where the weight plays a huge role in regards to battery stamina, heat generated, distance required, radio range. Personally I'd sooner get to the top speed as fast as I can and end the run, rather than having to take an extended amount of time that will only amplify other negative factors such as driver error, surface quality, wind gusts, motor/esc temps, range loss, parts durability, vibration resonance and on and on and on.*

Quote Originally Posted by BaldyDaniels View Post
    I completely understand the amperage draws of brushless motors, and you would still need enough battery to get up in speed first without needing an airport runway and matching radio range to back it up. Holding the speed is one thing, but getting to that speed is a whole other factor where the weight plays a huge role in regards to battery stamina, heat generated, distance required, radio range. Personally I'd sooner get to the top speed as fast as I can and end the run, rather than having to take an extended amount of time that will only amplify other negative factors such as driver error, surface quality, wind gusts, motor/esc temps, range loss, parts durability, vibration resonance and on and on and on.*
    Real world we are talking needing a few feet more to reach top speed, maybe a degree or two more in temps etc. Just about any lipo is up to maintaining voltage for the time we are talking about here, if they are not the amount of weight the aluminum adds is not going to be the make or break factor here. The point was weight does not effect top speed only acceleration and that is just fact based on the laws of physics. Not saying your points are not valid just that they are so miniscule they dont amount to much in the real world.

We have taken this thread way off topic let's let it rest and try to get back on topic at this point.
    Last edited by Dadx2mj; 11-12-2011 at 04:08 PM.
    BlindMan Racing
    SPC Lipo Power

My point was to show that if you want to get to high speeds with cars like this, there is no insane amount of power needed and especially not to get the last miles to the top speed. Of course things are different when you have a shorter piece of road.
    So if your car is heavy --> get enough room.

Hehe. Oh man. I feel special and a little robbed. Haha jk. Great arguments guys, and u both will be happy to know me set-up will be a mixture of both . The arms, and chassis stay plastic. Rest is alum. But as for the mixture im using its equal to whats on my performance pede and its really not to much heavier than the all stock one. Tried to weight but the bathroom digital scale wouldnt register it. Lol.

But either way, my approach is different than others. Even if i hit 90mph im gonna have a giant smile on my face as it swooshws by . Im not only building it with the 3 digit speed in mind, but im buildint to have the rusty the way i want it when i hit the streets.

Baldy, u are right. They have a vxl rusty on now for 140 id so pick up if i had the extra cash rightt now. He is selling low cuz it has a "broken piece in the tranny" lol. Hard fix ha. But ya, key is checking it often cuz good deals go fast, bit they sell everything and ive had all kinds of deals on flat screen, car stuf, tires 1:1 scale btw ha. Its a great thing about this community.

Also B money, u are always kind with ur words and encouraging. And like u said to pave, i too take big pride in my builds and so i really appreciate the positive comments the community gives me, especially from friends like yourself. As always, thank you brotha.

As for back to the thread, picked up some parts today. The lil lhs i went to didnt order the castors i needed or id be down to just the tranny to go.

Il post pics of the parts on the truck soon.

Cool, you have the same STRC stuff as I have on my widened Bandit. Good for high speed! Lol. (I know, I know, the brand doesnt make the difference.)
    Be sure to tighten the screws hard enough of the two parts of the rear tower. Some Loctite is handy. It is not funny when they become loose.

RC Champion
    Really cool looking rustler. It looks a little like mine. Are you putting rear a arm on the front to make it wider? And what kind of body are you planing on using?

Thanks guys. Ya i use alot of loctite. Well not alot, often, u know what i mean. Ya I think itl be good for keepn me planted.

Ratt. I debated for a long time on going wide. Kept my front arms in the package in case i needed to go switch them to rear sizes. But i ended up making the decision not to. I have a Protrac stampede, so i got a great handeling truck, and with adapters i wil be at a decent width. Plus itl let me sit lower. I also didnt want to drill out the brand new castor blocks. For those reasons i stayed with standard front arms. Its even possible i build a 2nd rusty in the future. But this wil be for straight line straight aways, anyways.

Some updates. Took me a sec to get some pics up. Approaching the finish line, just gota a few more small parts to add on, Links and small details, than wheels/tires, body, and electronics. But the truck itself will be done in the next day or two.

Rear end near completion.

Traxxas 36 Tooth Spur.

As in the pics, I added my MIP CVD shafts. I purchased them a long while ago, and they were stored away, open package, or I would have exchanged them for other stuff. They are very likely not to handle the speeds il be going for, so during that time il switch to Slash 4x4 shafts. But before I do, il be running it with my Sidewinder ESC/and Vel motor to test and tune the truck anyways. Plus they have been sitting around collecting dust, so why not.

I did however dye their "new style" pin holding rings. Front white to black.

Last edited by AbSoLooT1; 11-18-2011 at 04:24 PM.

Front end add ons

That Red alum washer is both functional and decorative. The RPM arms seem to be alittle narrower across the width where that pin goes. So tightening it all the way caused the castors to not flow as good as they should.

as shown in pic

But with the washers, The pins fit perfectly

RC Qualifier
    super awesome! completely speachless

Thanks Broken, Thats a kind Comment