RC Racer

MERV vs mini SUMMIT, review!

well it all started for me when a friend showed me his losi rock crawler. I thought it would be the sickest fun in the house coz of the way it was geared. Ive known about traxxas coz well its hard not to notice traxxas when u watch motorsports. Looked on the traxxas website to see if they had a crawler, they had the 1/10 summit. looked off the hook but too big for in the house, so i bought a mini Summit.
    1st or 2nd run with the summit and axles had poped and then the esc fried. When i opened the diffs for the 1st time i was lucky there was even a drop in there. Same with the shocks. they started leaking 1st run and the 1st run was on the road, no harsh bumbs. Almost everytime i cornerd the thing rolled over. It was apparent right away that the mini Summit isnt a go fast truck. So i started doing what i wanted to do with it, turn it into a slow driving truck that i could also play with in the house. Ive finaly gotten the Summit to where i want it then got a bit excited when i started bashing it in the dirt and jumps. The Summit is either a basher or a slow/crawler type truck. Tho as a basher its just too much work to make it reliable and its hight makes it more work to drive. Saying that you do get used to slowing the thing up before you turn but its just still not stable.
    The other day i recieved my mini revo. Diffs are tight and have oil in them. shocks work (have not leaked after 2 runs) put hpi wheels with dirt hawgs on it and 50/27 gearing. Took it out on the street for a test run. The smile on my face was starting to hurt me it was that big! So so fast, not that the summit dosnt go that fast but the diffrence right away was how stable the merv is. After wipeing the drool from my mouth i went inside and put a 23t pinion on for the next run which would be on dirt with bumbs and jumps.
    Took the MERV out today for a bash. OFF THE HOOK! what a truck! LOVE IT LOVE IT LOVE IT! bashes so so SO much better than a summit even when you set the summit up for bashing! Stable is the thing that makes the diffrence is what i rekon. Roll overs and carthwheels when things got hairy, minimal compared to the summt! I thought the lower chassis on the merv would make it work abit more on the ruff stuff but it seamed do go better. I havnt jumped it like ive jumped the summit, but i cant see it being worse than the summit coz so far, everything is better on it than the summit! i know that sounds crazy coz they pretty much are the same truck, but im just in love with how good a basher the merv is. havent broken a thing yet on the merv, compared to the summit, that broke something pretty much each time i took it for a bash.
    My summit converted into a slow driving/ crawler truck, is perfect when set up like this. My tranny flipped, 50/23 gearing. Dosnt have near the top end the merv has but just enought to quick lunch me over big jumps, and that great low down power to get me over almost anything. Thought id mention the Summit WITHOUT the tranny flipped and 50/23 gearing is just as fast as a merv but no where near as stable.
    So now ive finally gotten what i want. the summit as a slow/crawler and the merv as a fast basher! Changing the summit from basher to crawler was doing my head in, mainly coz the summit came back so thrashed after a bash. The hight of the summit for such a little truck is where all its problems are if you use it as a hardcore basher.
    The summit is now being rebuilt, and will stay as a little crawler with the tranny flipped.
    The merv, i aint upgrading till something breaks and is now my basher!

I'll prob come back and post on both truck when there both going again with what ive chosen as there appropriate gear.
    Please feel free to share your opinion on these two similar but different trucks.

*mods; feel free to move thread to merv section if ya rekon.*

RC poster
    I could'nt agree more with you, I was thinking about what u did, and then I read your thread. I will now be turning my mini summit into a crawler, I will flip the tranny and change the gears. I will also be changing the diff oil to 50 wt. that is supposed to give me a near differential lock according to what i have read.

RC Qualifier
    All you needed to do was put p2 rockers on your summit and you won't flip over as much. Summit has long travel rockers for more suspension travel and a higher ride height; which is why it flips over more

RC Turnbuckle Jr. Jimmie Neutron's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by vwbikerboy View Post
    I could'nt agree more with you, I was thinking about what u did, and then I read your thread. I will now be turning my mini summit into a crawler, I will flip the tranny and change the gears. I will also be changing the diff oil to 50 wt. that is supposed to give me a near differential lock according to what i have read.
    I think you meant 50k weight. 50wt is shock oil consistency.
    But even then, 50k will not give you near differential lock... but 500k will.
    Whatever it is I just said... I could be wrong.

RC Racer
    Quote Originally Posted by varunaX View Post
    All you needed to do was put p2 rockers on your summit and you won't flip over as much. Summit has long travel rockers for more suspension travel and a higher ride height; which is why it flips over more
    yeah true but lowering a summit defeats the purpose of it being a summit. Thats why i have a merv now.
    Fast bashing, merv!
    Summit, anything but high speed runs and inside the house!

and vwbiker, what jimmy said!

RC Champion
    the bad luck you had with your summit could of easily had happened with your merv. 95% all the same parts. in fact all of the 1/16 cars and trucks by traxxas share ALOT of common pieces.
    PROJECT BAJA PEDE

RC Racer
    Quote Originally Posted by twisted View Post
    the bad luck you had with your summit could of easily had happened with your merv. 95% all the same parts. in fact all of the 1/16 cars and trucks by traxxas share ALOT of common pieces.
    yeah my summit unfortunatly was a lemon out of the box, parts where replaced and finaly now an awesome truck! The summit out of the box needs axle upgrades and your set to go if ya ask me.
    Im not bagging one or the other here, i think there both awesome and there almost identical in parts but they are different trucks. ones almost dumbed to the ground while the other almost towers over 1/10 cars.
    This was a Vs thread and mainly regarding bashing the two trucks in pretty much stock trim. For me, the MERV won coz it broke nothing! The summit (not taking into account my bad luck) broke/snaped wheel axles every single run!
    I mentioned the diffrenece in axles coz theres a huge difference, the difference in diff shimming coz there always a difference and every diff will need to be shimmed differently.
    The summit aint a basher, can be but after driving the merv its simple to see which one wins in the bash catagory. I didnt even bother trying to go over the rocks i do with the summit coz its just too low

RC Champion
    i understand. to me the summit is a basher and the revo is more of a racer. just because of the ground clearance on both trucks. i had a merv and believe me, it goes through the same problems the summit does sooner or later. my merv kept blowing center drive shafts....
    PROJECT BAJA PEDE

RC Racer
    no twisted no dont say that! haha, i believe they will i just hope nothing breaks till i have steel cvds and rpm arms already here.
    & true that hey, the revo is a racer hard!!! i just say basher coz i bush bash it on trails! like merv vs summit, same but different. hahaha

RC Racer
    chaos

agree with your assessment - i have both trucks as well

i really want the summit to be a serious basher but that will require someone to come up with better axles

the irony is that people buy the summit vxl over the merv for bashing due to its increased ride height

i put dirt hawgs on my merv to get a little more height - the merv can take some very serious abuse once you upgrade arms and servo. and it drives way better than the summit
    1/16 E-Revo VXL, Slash Ultimate, Slash 2wd MT

RC Racer
    ^^^merv steel cvds fitted to a summit do work, work the goods! Driving the summit fast is just more work than the merv, its height hurts it there and if it tends to roll/cartwheel more you will be replacing parts more. Took the merv out the other day and where the summit made it over some crazy obsticals, i was walking over to pick up the revo
    i have to say, the few runs ive had with the merv, im hanging for my summit to be back together now! Hurry up servos!!!