RC Champion

Anti Roll Bar Question

Sorry for may be being a bit silly but, with the optional sway bars are the two screws that clamp them to t chassis/diff housing meant to be so tight as to stop the bar from rotating in their grip (I.e. using the torsion in the metal to provide the anti-roll) or loose enough that his can happen (so that the flex in the whole system prevents the anti-roll)..........my little brain can't work the logic out as to which is right!!
    Time I enjoy wasting is not time wasted

RC Qualifier
    ive thought the same myself i went with putting small rubber grommets on the screws and clamp them down firmly. the sways dont move around but arnt locked down. kind of the same way a real car mounts the sway bar. seems to help but it may be a different world in rc.

RC Champion
    Yeah, that's what I was thinking, having recently re-built the suspension on my 1:1 the "anti-roll" bars DEFINATELY are not fixed, they seem to rely on the torsion within the bar rather than a clamped bar to prevent roll.....

Anyway let's see what others think too shall we (he says secretly loosening off his torsion bars lol)

Over to you guys..........
    Time I enjoy wasting is not time wasted

RC Champion
    Your right in your thinking, dont clamp them down.
    Merv, Sl4sh, P4de, Embe, Slash
    2400/2200/4000kv

RC Enthusiast
    the instructions that came with mine says to run the screws down then back off 1/8th of a turn

RC Champion
    Quote Originally Posted by pgpoacher View Post
    the instructions that came with mine says to run the screws down then back off 1/8th of a turn
    agree and just like 1:1 they should float

RC Racer
    It does rely on the torsion of the bar and not clamped down. That's why there's more than one option with different thicknesses of the bars. That's what stiffens the roll, not the tightness of the screws.
    Kersh Summit-LCG Slash-Slash 4x4-Merv-Rally-Wraith

Correct. Clamping the screws down isolates each wheel/arm. In effect all this does is create a stiffer spring for each side. The anti-roll bars are meant to use the action of one wheel/arm to control the other. The bars must float to do this.
    Alt-248 on the number pad =

RC Champion
    If your screws are loose in the hole after you back them out a quarter turn, then just use a little blue loctite on them. It works fine on plastic too.