RC Racer

Just thought I'd share :)

I know there has been a lot of talk around here about the mini summit's drive shafts, but I thought I'd share about my experience to help others out. (if you didn't know anyway). So I broke a couple of drive shafts right away within the first couple of runs of my mini summit. I bought the replacements and broke them again. ... So I posted a thread about what to do and the answer I got was the Merv steel cvd. It sounded great but I didn't feel like dropping $70 at my lhs for them. Thanks to twisted and his thread I decided to get the stock merv drive shafts. Those come complete for $8 each where as the stock summit drive shafts are $12 for the female half and $14 for the male half of the drive shafts. Let me tell you, they are way sturdier and they fit like a glove on the summit and work great. Today I decided to bash my truck to put the shafts through ... a beating to see if they would hold up. I did kart wheels 7 different times, did a back flip and landed kinda sideways right on the rear right tire, and somehow managed to do a kart wheel in the air off a jump and landed on the side. Not to mention being a bit trigger happy with the throttle. Through all the abuse everything held up. The only thing that happened was I lost a body clip. I only ever do some light bashing and that is enough to break the stock summit shafts. I put it through ... a lot with stock merv shafts and it held up just perfect. Ill post again after some more runs to let everyone know how well there doing.

Edited for language abuse.
    Last edited by cooleocool; 11-06-2011 at 01:38 PM.

RC Racer
    Thanks for sharing. I have a 9-year-old son who will be a new VXL owner Christmas morning. I may just go ahead and buy some MERV shafts or just bite the bullet and get the CVDs. I am trying to stock up on common relacement parts so that the fun won't get cut short on Christmas day. We can just repair on the fly and party on. These are the posts that I'm looking for.
    Tekno wing mount, Pro-Line wing, Maximizer X-75s, and Maxx Mashers.

RC Racer
    if ya look around you will find the traxxas steel cvds for $40-45. i got mine for $39 and thats in AU. glad to hear the merv shafts hold up better seeing as tho i just got a merv but no cvds yet!

RC Racer
    You have to be careful with the steel shafts. If you're running the stock summIt arms, which are extended compare to the ones on a merv, the cvd's will pop out a lot. If you replace the rear arms with stock merv or rpm ones which are stronger the shafts won't pop out. But they definately are strong.
    The expert in anything... Was once a beginner.

RC Turnbuckle Jr. Jimmie Neutron's Avatar
    You can keep the stock summit rear arms if you shave a few mm off the ends so you can screw the pillow balls in further.
    Whatever it is I just said... I could be wrong.

RC Racer
    I feel bad now about my post. I didn't think that saying was bad. Anyway, I didn't know about the A-arms being to long. I guess I know now for when I do upgrade. Thanks guys.

RC Racer
    Quote Originally Posted by arcaptainic View Post
    I feel bad now about my post. I didn't think that saying was bad. Anyway, I didn't know about the A-arms being to long. I guess I know now for when I do upgrade. Thanks guys.
    yeah check my "oh no to oh yeah" thread. ive shown how ive done the cvd/arm shave mod! works a treat but ya need adjustable toe links!!!

RC Champion
    yea the merv shafts work great but are not a 100% problem solver. i have broken them too... shafts area good back up part to keep handy.
    PROJECT BAJA PEDE